Quantcast Which water park for a 6-yr old boy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which water park for a 6-yr old boy?

Hi everyone! My cousin and his family are currently in WDW. They are wondering which of the water parks would be better for their 6-yr old son?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!!

TIA
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach have their advantages, both have some great rides great theming. I guess a 6 year old would really get a kick out of the winter theming at Blizzard Beach - especially when it's 70-80 degrees out! Both have an area specifically for younger children: Ketchakiddie Creek and Tike's Peak respectively. The former is listed on intercot as ages 5 and under but I'd imagine a 6 year old would be ok getting in.

Though both have some big slides as well as more relaxing rides such as a lazy river (Castaway Creek and Cross Country Bay respectively), Typhoon Lagoon is commonly associated with being a bit more relaxing while Blizzard Beach is associated with being a bit more extreme. I guess you could therefore go by how brave the kid is with heights, sldies, ect.

The big ride at each of them at the moment are ones that I haven't been on: Typhoon Lagoon has the fairly new Crush & Gusher, a water coaster that was built since my last visit. Blizzard Beach has Summet Plummet, a large freefall slide which I have just never gotten around to trying. Both are on my 'to do' list for our visit next year. Both of these do have height limits of 48 inches (4 foot) however, as does Typhoon Lagoon's Humunga Kowabunga slides. Depending on the kid's height he may not be able to go on these.

Conclusion: both are great for families and children with a wide range of choices for all age groups. If possible then tell them to do both. If tht isn't possible then they can't go wrong with either of them!

EDIT: Just realised i forgot to mention the wavepools! Both have a wavepool but they are distinctly different. Typhoon Lagoon has a larger wavepool which alternates between bouts of regular waves and giant waves (ever 30 minutes?). Blizzard Beach has a smaller, more gentle wavepool with bobbing waves. This comes dow to personal preference I guess.
    Last edited by Giggy; 10-26-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: One more thing...
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w/ Blizzard Beach. I think that there are more options for younger kids there.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Our nieces and their famiies just got back from WDW and agree that Blizzard Beach was the best for their kids ages 4-9. They loved both parks but the younger ones loved BB the best!

Dawn,Denise&Diane
    New trip in the works! Can't wait to get back! WDW a little piece of heaven here on earth!

Post Thanks / Like

I would also go with Blizzard Beach for that age.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Also, Blizzard Beach has Teamboat Springs, the BEST family raft ride anywhere, much better than the family raft ride at TL. It's very long and a lot of fun.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

My family has always preferred Typhoon. The kids area at Blizzard is probably better, I have lots of good memories (from a long time ago), of afternoons spent there. Still, we associate BB with "thrill rides" and TL with relaxing and a wider range of fun (esp the wave pool)
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I originally went at the ages of 4 and then again aged 7. Both of those time I would have said that I preferred Blizzard Beach, and yet I would now say that Typhoon Lagoon is my favaourite. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Does this 6 year old appreciate theming? If so they should definitely go to BB, which I think probably does cater more for younger people. However, if he's tall for his age and a good swimmer for his age, TL would also be very good. But at the end of the day, either of them would provide a lasting experience, and both are definitely worth the visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Blizzard Beach has an area called "Ski Patrol Training Area" that is perfect for kids that age.
    (Caveat: they need to be able to swim a little or be willing to wear a vest.)

Both of my boys like it better than Typhoon Lagoon, but they always have a great time at TL, too.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: