Quantcast Cloudy water in Snowglobe?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cloudy water in Snowglobe?

So, I bought my son this plastic snowglobe at MouseGears in April. It is red and has Sorcerer Mickey inside it with the icons of the 4 parks behind him. The "snow" is actually little blue star shaped confetti.

Yesterday, I noticed the water in the globe had gone cloudy.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is it going to stay that way? I'm totally baffled...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if this is good news for you or not, but I did a google search for cloudy snow globes and found that either they cannot be repaired or one place could repair it for $25.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, but I only paid $5 for the snowglobe, so fixing it is not really what I'm after.

More wondering WHY this happens? And being glad it wasn't a $100 snowglobe...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

If it was in the sun or an extremely warm place the glue at the base begins to seep into the water. Since it is not an expensive globe you could try to fix it yourself if you can get the bottom off. Unscrew the bottom, dump out the old water, fill it by submerging it in a sink of cold water, add two drops of glycerin if you have it (craft store) and put the base back on.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one expensive globe that I bought about 10 years ago and I noticed a few months ago that it is cloudy and has clumps of something in the bottom. I was very upset but I didn't know it was possible to fix it. I guess I'll do a "google" and try to find someone who might be able to repair it. Thanks for that tip Itchy.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

So, I bought my son this plastic snowglobe at MouseGears in April. It is red and has Sorcerer Mickey inside it with the icons of the 4 parks behind him. The "snow" is actually little blue star shaped confetti.
    My son just bought this last week when we were there for the Halloween party. It was his first Disney purchase with his own money (he's 10). I'll have to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will be okay.

This is the only one like that that we have, but I have many of the other ones that are glass and, so far, they're okay. I've not really heard of this happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    My son just bought this last week when we were there for the Halloween party. It was his first Disney purchase with his own money (he's 10). I'll have to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will be okay.

This is the only one like that that we have, but I have many of the other ones that are glass and, so far, they're okay. I've not really heard of this happening.
    I hope your snowglobe stays clear! I'm guessing that this has something to do with the fact that it's a "cheapie" plastic one.

I'm sure at some point, this snowglobe we have was left in direct sunlight...so that might have been the cause of it.

If your son keeps his snowglobe on a shelf somewhere and just has it as something to look at, and not necessarily shake around ALL the time (like my son did...he's only 5, and loves watching the stars swirl around), it should be okay.

I suppose I should just stop buying my son plastic snowglobes. This is the third one I've bought him, and the other two broke as well...

The one time we had a glass one (it was a little christmas one), he was holding it in his hand and spinning and he smacked it against the wall and it shattered.

Although he likes them a lot, I think we'll just have to find other types of souvenirs to buy him in the future.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large Sleeping Beauty one and there's no water in it anymore.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

This is just something that happens to snowglobes eventually. We just moved and discovered all of ours have changed. No, they weren't cheap, they weren't in the sun, and they weren't shaken. They sat on a shelf for years and they just get cloudy after a while. We just threw them out. It's kind of gross.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is a common problem for snowglobes over time. We have about 30 Disney snowglobes, DW is a collector. They can be repaired, and their are web sites that can teach you how.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: