Quantcast First Time With Kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time With Kids

I am a longtime reader, but this is my first ever post. My husband and I have been to Disney World and Disney Land several times, but now we are planning our first trip with children. They will be 4 and 1 when we go. I have a few questions:

1)Which time of the year would be best and why? We are looking at early to middle May vs. September. To me, the only negative for September is the rain.
    2) We have always stayed off property. On this trip, we are planning on staying at either Pop Century or the movie themed value resort. What are your recommendations regarding one vs. the other?
    3)We know the importance of reservations for hotel and character meals. The question is how late will be too late? Our concern is that since we do not know which time we will be going, and we make our reservation and have to reschedule, will we lose money on this? Is a deposit required? If so, is it refundable or transferrable to a new date?
    4)Disney dollars- we have never used. Can they be used to buy park hopper passes? Anywhere? Through discount brokers?

I know that I can look many of these things up, but I have always wanted to post something on here, and thought that this would be fun. I know that you are all Disney freaks like me, and I value your input and advice. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i cannot answer all these questions as i have never been in may or september,but both times seem good for a quieter park
    as for POP or AS,I prefered the all star movies,POP was a miserable experience for me and i changed hotels before the trip was done,the CM's were nice,but the rooms and beds were run down.
    i never had to leave a deposit to make and ADR
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

officially to Intercot!! Glad you're posting!

1.) Both times have their ups and downs. Temps are about the same. Sept has the hurricane risk, but Sept usually has better promotions. It's been the "free" dining the last few years. May is "regular" season while September is "value" season which makes Sept a little cheaper. Also, while it may not have been in the past, this year May was a LOT more crowded than September. However, the Sept isn't empty anymore since this "free" dining promotion has become so popular. The restaurants in Sept are nuts crowded and ADRs, especially character meals are hard to come by. So, you just pick and choose. It's the same for any time of the year now.

2.) I've stayed at both, and, really just pick which theming you like better - Disney movies or Pop Culture. Both places are nice. Some folks rave about the face that Pop has its own dedicated bus line, but I didn't find that to get me to the parks any quicker because buses run more often at ASM. I actually ended up waiting longer with the 1 bus system sometimes because the lines would get so long at opening and closing. In the end, though, whichever theme you like better will be the better choice for you.

3.) Especially if you're going during September you'll need to make your ADRs at day 180 if you want any chance at character meals. There is a $200 deposit/room required when you book, but you can get a full refund until 45 days out. Full payment is due 45 days out. After 45 days penalties will occur. You can cancel/modify ADRs any time. I suggest you go ahead and book via Magical Journeys. Doesn't cost you anything and they will make sure you get the best deal, including adjusting your reservation for any discounts which may come out later without you having to do a thing. They are awesome! They will also take care of the cancellation for you, if necessary.

4.) I don't know a lot about Disney Dollars. I seriously doubt they could be used to buy tickets through "discount" brokers. Honestly, if you're doing a package, though, you won't need the discount brokers. They really are not much of a savings, if any at all. The big discounts are rip-offs. You're better buying your tickets via a package.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default dollars

Disney Dollars can be spent like cash at all Disney parks and DTD or exchanged for USD at guest services at all parks or info desk at World of Disney at DTD incl buying park tickets or adding optiong like park hopping.

I would not deal with a discount broker. The risk outweighs the savings.

We like All Star Music.

Post Thanks / Like

We (DD & I) have only stayed at the All Star Movies. We loved it there. DD loved the large Disney statues and the pool with Mickey. It will really bring the magic of the Disney characters to life in a large way. Makes for great photos. Both times we stayed in a prefered room in the Fantasia 2 building (the pink one). It is close to the pool, laundry, food and the bus stops. There are other choices as well, and I am sure someone who stayed in those areas will share their experiences.

As the previous posters have said ADR can be made 180 days out. I was there a few years ago and the only problem was getting Cinderella Royal Table (CRT) for my DD's birthday lunch. I finally got it
    I find it is easier to get lunch or dinner ADR's. I haven't tried for the breakfast ones. For the dinner I got the early seating when they open. It worked great for us with less waiting. If you want a breakfast experience, try booking the last seating and just have a light breakfast earlier. The later seating is just before lunch time and makes a great brunch. I did this at Disneyland and loved it.

I haven't been there in May or Sept. I don't know what the rain is like at that time. We went in July (rain, but not too bad) and the first week in Dec. (no rain at all). When it comes down to it any time you go will be fun.
    Happy planning
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally we are Pop Century people because the rooms seem nicer (cleaner) and there tends to be less large groups staying there. The All Star resorts are quite often overrun with bands, cheerleaders, etc and seem to be more chaotic then POP. Pop also is in a more centralized location.

I would tell you to go in September due to the lack of crowds. Even with free dining, the parks will still for the most part of minimal lines. Also Free dining is a huge advantage and cost saver. In Sept you can also enjoy Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) which is an awesome event party. If you do choose May, go earlier in the month and enjoy the flower and garden festival at EPCOT, its beautful, but beware that May sometimes brings Spring breakers and also the end of May starts summer vacations.

As for tickets, I would look into getting a package with your room. As posted, try using Magical Journeys to help you find the best package/deal. They are extremely helpful and cost you nothing, they are there strictly to help you save the most money.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Make lots of ADRs as soon as possible. Only a
    few places like California Grill will bill for no-shows. ADR s are not reservations. They are
    computerized versions of standing in line. Since
    your children probably eat relatively early you may
    not have much trouble except for character meals.
    Maybe start with Crystal palace so they can see
    how large the characters are without waiting in lines or spending a lot of money. Enjoy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: