Quantcast Suggested book/planning guide

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggested book/planning guide

First, I absolutely LOVE this website...so thankful for the person who recommended it to me! All of the information I find here is so useful. However, I also like to have a hard copy. Does anyone have a favorite book or planning guide that you'd recommend? We have a 5 year old and 3 year old that we'll be taking with us.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read a few over the years.
    The Birnbaum book is all positive, with no objectivity.Full of info,but it may just as well have been written by the Disney Company.
    I recommend the Un-official Guide. It has all the information you could want, and then some.Plus it also has some stuff off property.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I totally love Passporters Guide to WDW. I use it as my whole planning guide and keep all of my confirmation numbers and things in it. Great for keeping everything you need in one place.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The Unoficial Guide to WDW is our favorite travelguide.
    I agree with Pete from NY's opiion on Birnbaum, reads like a Disney advertisement.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

First off,

I like all three of the ones mentioned above, haven't bought one in awhile, but the Passporter and Birnbaum's are my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

to Intercot!! I remember my first few months here... SO much great info, right at your fingertips!! So glad you've found us!!

As far as books go, I'm a die-hard Passporter fan... I got the 3-ring binder, and just re-fill the pages for the year I'm going. The pockets to keep your travel documents in are invaluable, and the information is easy to find, up-to-date, and fun. (and the maps are GREAT!!)

I've read the Un-Official Guide and like that, too... the objectivity is refreshing.

Last but not least, my new favorite - Mousejunkies! It's a tip/advice book sprinkled with trip-report anecdotes and a fun, Disney-addict sense of humor throughout. Totally my speed, I relate to so much of what the author's written. And it just came out, so it's up-to-date, as well.

Have fun planning & searching out this site.... I've printed a wealth of information from here alone!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...i love the Passporter too! I also like the Birnbaum book too. They have one writen by kids for kids also. My son loves that because you get a kids perspective on the rides. he kinda knew what to exspect his first time. However your kids are a bit younger than he was. BTW...I am your neighbor! I live in Winne Texas...not far from you guys at all. Kinda by the beach. have a blessed day!

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute favourite is the Unofficial Guide - I read it just for fun, even when I'm not planning a trip
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried just about every one out there when I first started but find the Passporter to be the best IMHO. I to do have the deluxe lether bound book and just buy the reill every year. I also subscrive to Celebration Magazine. It comes out every 2 months and it is great. Disney used to put out Disney Club Magazine then they stop. Celebration has taken its place and those of use are very happy about this.

Have a Magical Trip
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SO much for the advice. So I have another question...we're going to WDW in January. The Passporter 2010 book is not out yet. Should I wait until it's available or just go ahead and get the 2009 edition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
    I totally love Passporters Guide to WDW. I use it as my whole planning guide and keep all of my confirmation numbers and things in it. Great for keeping everything you need in one place.
    I love the Passporter, too, and buy a new one each year (that reminds me, have to preorder the 2010 soon!). I call it the busy mom's scrapbook. I take it on vacation with me to store all my info (it doesn't leave the room, though!).

I like the Unofficial Guide, and the Complete Guide has nice pictures and info, too. We tried the WDW By kids, for Kids guide--your littles might like looking at that one.

My advice (as a librarian LOL): see what your library has to offer and borrow anything interesting before you buy it!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Last but not least, my new favorite - Mousejunkies! It's a tip/advice book sprinkled with trip-report anecdotes and a fun, Disney-addict sense of humor throughout. Totally my speed, I relate to so much of what the author's written. And it just came out, so it's up-to-date, as well.
    Glad to hear this--I bought this book for the plane ride to WDW!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We got Birnbaum's WDW for Kids by Kids for our DD (then 6) before our first trip two years ago. She absolutlely loved it. In fact, she read it so often it started falling apart so we're getting her a new copy for our trip this year (which she still doesn't know about, so don't tell her )

I've also ordered the Disney Queue Line Survival book for DW. Have not received it yet, so can't say for certain how good it is, but it did get good reviews on Amazon.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

The Unofficial Guide is my Disney "bible". I loan it out to anyone who is going. It is huge, but the wealth of information cannot be beat.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have made my own book that I bring with me each time. It is a 3x5 book I have created tabs with the information that is personalized to my trip. I copy and paste information from this site. Then I print and glue it in the appropriate tab.

It is so helpful that I have even made them for friends before they go...

If you have any questions on the tabs or would like some of what I have saved as a word document, pm me.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    The Unofficial Guide is my Disney "bible". I loan it out to anyone who is going. It is huge, but the wealth of information cannot be beat.
    Exactly! I call the Unofficial Guide my "bible." I am actually off to get the new 2010 edition that just came out Monday this weekend!

From what I understand once you start using the Passporter you won't quit. I've only taken a glance at one really but I think i'm just too addicted and devoted to my Unofficial Guide to change. I really don't need all of the added things that the Passporter provides. I make my own travel binder anyways and I love doing that.

Also, ever thought of using Disney podcasts as a learning tool? I know it's not like... hard information you can carry around but it will give you amazing information. I suggest "WDW Today." Shows are short (20 minutes) and you can read through the archives and figure out what topics interest you.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the "Unofficial". I have their guide to DC and New Orleans too. I am a planning freak. Passporter would be my second. Now my 8 YO niece has always loved Birnbaum b/c of the pictures. She will sit down with it and explain what she likes and what she doesn't. That makes it priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

Two big for Passporter! I am a planning freak, and it helped me plan to my heart's content, helped me organize thoughts/notes/anecdotes during the trip (with the pockets and daily recap pages especially), and makes for an awesome trip record after you're home (souvenir and help for next time).

Also, another for the kids guide by kids. Not only is the format super kid friendly, but the autograph pages in the back worked out great for us in the parks!
    Grand Floridian 09/01
    Port Orleans Riverside 09/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 05/04
    Polynesian 09/09 - 10-year Anniversary/DD 3rd Bday
    Port Orleans Riverside 09/13 - 15-year Anniversary/DD 8th Bday

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home...unless you're going to Disney!"

Post Thanks / Like

Birnbaums is good and so the Birnbaums kids edition. Of course, they DO portray WDW in a positive and somewhat advertising way, but it is an "official" guide, and I want to see anything regarding WDW as positive! The "un-official" guide is very thorough and VERY long. And although it is a more detailed guide, (and good reading) it's a little too opinionated in some areas (and not necessarily in a good way) for me. (IMHO). And my opinions ( as yours maybe) were a little different than the authors. As a multiple visitor to the World, I have lately been looking for some different insights to WDW, and have found them in the "Hidden Magic of WDW" book. It just goes to show, that there's always more to learn!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

birnbaum and intercot
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: