Quantcast I was robbed at Kennywood!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default I was robbed at Kennywood!

I didn't know where to put this, so it's landing here....I thought about the Theme Park section though......so if it needs moved, please do so whoever is in charge!

So we go to Kennywood Park today -- it's in Pittsburgh, PA. We had tickets left from the school picnic that we finally used today!

First, traffic there was horrific, but we got there and the day was beautiful! We are having a good day, no whining, no fits, everyone is good.....I took two bottles of water with me in the diaper bag, but we drank them which led me to buying a bottle of water.....

Here it is.....I was robbed, point blank without even a thank you......$3.09 for a bottle of water! Yes, that was THREE DOLLARS and nine cents!

I thought water at Disney was a bit overpriced at $2.50, but now I've really been "held up" for water! They boy at the stand didn't even say "STICK EM UP MA'AM" or "THANK YOU".....just took my money as I was just stunned.......
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a contrast to the amusement park we were at a couple of weeks ago: Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. There, they give you free drinks from the "Pepsi Oasis" all day long. It is much appreciated!
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, you had me really scared for a minute! I'm glad it wasn't a real robbery and it's only Kennywood's outrageous food prices. We're going there next Saturday with the Beaver Area Marching Band. Gotta pay full price for the admission tickets since it's a weekend.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We are getting ready to leave in a few hours ( less that 24 ) for WDW and I informed my grand daughter that I had ponchos for the entire family. She said she had her own that she got when at 6 flags in St louis. She proudly said she paid $16.00 for it.

I kind of informed her that she got taken but she really did not want to hear that.

I was at a local Minor League ball park about a month ago and saw that they wanted $6 for a bottle of water. Needless to say I found a water fountain.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I was scared for a moment!

But it really is horrible what people are charging these days for things like that. There's a water park about an hour from where I live that I've been to once and refuse to go back--not only because the rides actually scare me due to safety reasons), but also because I did the math and it would have been CHEAPER to go to either Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach if I lived near them, mostly due to the food! Now I know to save my money for a Disney trip instead.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Were you really surprised? I'm not surprised by these things anymore. They're in a situation where they can charge that for water and people pay. Now if you had said $5, I might have been a little surprised, but still not that taken aback. Have you been to the movies lately?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Kennywood for the first time this summer, what a fun park! But yes, park food and even water is so expensive! But then again, here we have Carowinds, and I think the prices are even higher, believe it or not! Outrageous, we go to the car for lunch- I just can't see paying $8.00 for a slice of pizza! Glad you had a fun day, we really enjoyed it!
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Gosh, you had me really scared for a minute! I'm glad it wasn't a real robbery and it's only Kennywood's outrageous food prices. We're going there next Saturday with the Beaver Area Marching Band. Gotta pay full price for the admission tickets since it's a weekend.
    I live and work in that area. I actually think you were robbed like for real. Haven't been to Kennywood since moving here and don't really have much of a desire to go.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Does Kennywood Park still have the Jack Rabbit? Mom my lost her hat on the Jack Rabbit the same day another rider lost their life (somehow thrown off) I guess ride restraints were not what they are today, sadly.
    I've never been to Kennywood but this ride is on our todo list, when we visit the area my mom called home during her formative & preteen years soon.

Also, I have another question relating to your "robbery" - back when my mom went to the Park as a child, there was a picnic area where you could "dine" on food you brought from home in the park. Is that still there or is it like Disney where "no outside food is encouraged". Just wondering for the nostalgic effect for my mom, mainly.
    Journey into your...Legoź Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not as bad as buying popcorn and pop at the movies!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    I live and work in that area. I actually think you were robbed like for real. Haven't been to Kennywood since moving here and don't really have much of a desire to go.
    Hi Donald! I didn't realize you were in the West Mifflin area. We go to Kennywood once a year with the kids but I don't really like it much. I like the nostalgia of the park but I only ride about 6 - 7 things. It's definately not Disney World!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    Does Kennywood Park still have the Jack Rabbit? Mom my lost her hat on the Jack Rabbit the same day another rider lost their life (somehow thrown off) I guess ride restraints were not what they are today, sadly.
    I've never been to Kennywood but this ride is on our todo list, when we visit the area my mom called home during her formative & preteen years soon.

Also, I have another question relating to your "robbery" - back when my mom went to the Park as a child, there was a picnic area where you could "dine" on food you brought from home in the park. Is that still there or is it like Disney where "no outside food is encouraged". Just wondering for the nostalgic effect for my mom, mainly.
    Kennywood still does have the Jackrabbit. It still scares me too. They allow children to ride at 36 inches tall but the restraint is only a lap belt and you literally spend much of the ride not sitting on your seat due to ride forces. My kids hate to ride with me because I always have such a death grip on them.

They do still have picnic shelters and often host school and work picnics and ethnic days. You can bring your own food in but if you want to use a shelter, I believe that you have to rent in advance at a fairly hefty price. Unless you are going with a bunch of other people or aren't bringing much in, you are better off leaving it in your car.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kathy, I will tell my mom that the things she remembers most about Kennywood Park are still there.
    Journey into your...Legoź Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've been to the movies.....last weekend and I was "robbed" there too.....$7.75 for popcorn that my cousin and I shared! We smuggled in our own water though!

After telling a bunch of people about that $3 bottle of water I am now in the know that that is not that bad.....WOW, did I just say $3 for a BOTTLE OF WATER is not that bad?!?!?!?
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

DBF and I went to a football game on Friday night. At the concession stand they didn't have any prices up. He paid $4.50 for a bottle of Sprite and $10.50 for a bag of chips and a little thing of salsa.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree that prices are totally out of whack...I also live in Pittsburgh and refuse to pay the ridiculous price just to get in...we go once for school picnic since the tickets are cheaper but that's it...we prefer to do the fright nights celebration in the fall...tickets are significantly cheaper and the rides are also open....it's a shame what they charge....
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    I do agree that prices are totally out of whack...I also live in Pittsburgh and refuse to pay the ridiculous price just to get in...we go once for school picnic since the tickets are cheaper but that's it...we prefer to do the fright nights celebration in the fall...tickets are significantly cheaper and the rides are also open....it's a shame what they charge....
    We wouldn't even be going but DD14 is marching with her HS marching band. I drove all the way to WDW to see her march in MK in March - and paid those prices. I sure won't let Kennywood prices keep me away!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

I feel a little better about going to Kennywood tomorrow. I was able to save $20 by purchasing my tickets online and printing them at home. Any little savings helps!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Vegas and buy a bottle of water at one of the shows. You will think that $3.09 is cheap! A bottle of water was (I think) $4.00 for a small and I mean small and $6.00 or $8.00 for a larger, but not big by any means.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: