Quantcast Advanced Dining Reservation Changes Effective 10/27/09: Official Announcement & FAQ's

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Advanced Dining Reservation Changes Effective 10/27/09: Official Announcement & FAQ's

180-day Booking Window
    8/11/2009

As a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate feedback from our Guests and adjust our offerings accordingly. As a result, we have made the decision to adjust to a 180-day booking window for dining, recreation and tour offerings (+10 days for Resort Guests). At the same time, the Theme Park Operating Calendar will be published to Guests 180 days out as well.

This adjusted booking window will go into effect, Tuesday, October 27, 2009.

This change will not impact existing dining, recreation and tour reservations. These reservations will be honored as booked.

We feel this will offer Guests a better service in order to coordinate and plan their vacations.

-------------------

FAQs:

Q: Why is the booking window transitioning to a 180-day window?
    A: As a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate feedback from our
    Guests and adjust our offerings accordingly. As a result, we have made the decision to
    adjust to a 180-day booking window for dining, recreation and tour offerings (+10
    days for Resort Guests). We feel this offer provides our Guests with a greater window
    of time to pre-plan their vacation.

Q: Will park hours also be going to a 180-day window?
    A: Yes, park hours will also reflect a 180-day window for Guests on our Disney.com
    website.

Q: How will Guests who have a current reservation be notified that they can now
    book 180 days out?
    A: Guests who have already booked future resort reservations for arrivals after January
    25, 2010, will be notified via phone or email of the upcoming policy change for
    booking 180 days in advance (+10 days for Resort Guests).

Q: Will this 180-day booking window also apply to Resort room reservations?
    A:No, reservations for Walt Disney World® Resort hotels may be secured up to 500 days
    in advance.

Q: Will this 180-day booking window apply to bookings made online for both Guest
    and Cast reservations?
    A: Yes, it will apply to all our Walt Disney World® Resort booking venues.

Q: Will Walt Disney World Resort Guests still receive the 180-day plus 10-days
    benefit?
    A:Yes, Walt Disney World® Resort Guests will have the 180-day plus 10-days benefit.

Q: What is the 180-days plus 10-days benefit for Resort Guests?
    A: Walt Disney World® Resort Guests are able to book 180 days out from their arrival
    date and up to an additional 10 days of their stay. This allows Resort Guests to
    potentially book dining, recreation and tour reservations for their entire stay and not
    have to call back every day after the initial booking.

Q: Does the change impact existing dining, recreation and tour reservations
    currently booked?
    A: No, all existing dining, recreation and tour reservations will be honored as booked.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Just sent Disney a long letter about what a bad idea I think this is, based on what I had read on another post.

If they are doing this in response to people's complaints about not getting ADR's, they need to re-consider, and realize that the problem is with all the double-bookings they are allowing, not the timeline.

Most people I know prefer the 90-day timeline... who really wants to be sitting down 6 months in advance, trying to figure out what & where they want to eat?? (Yes, we all did it before, but didn't most of us like it better when it became 90 days??) I am guessing that Disney will see the double-booking of ADR's increase, as people will be even more unsure of where they want to eat, and will book everywhere "just to have a spot in case we're in the mood". Totally selfish, yes, but that's what we're already hearing people are doing for September. So, I can't imagine Nov/Dec and school vaca's being any better.

All that being said, it will be interesting to see what happens with holiday bookings... imagine the furor that is going to come when families are trying, in JUNE, to book their Christmas meals, and they can't, b/c all the good spots are taken. Disney thinks it has upset guests now???

(Hmmm... also just realized that we were considering going next August. Six months out from that is February. Well, there is NO way we will have decided if we're travelling to Disney by February... and I can assure you, if we decide by May to travel in August, and there's no good dining left?? We're going nowhere near Disney! I'm wondering if this 180-day window, if double-bookings continue, will radically decrease people's "last minute" trips?? Not good for Disney on that front, either.)
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, we have NEVER had a problem securing the ADR's we want, regardless of the time of year we were travelling, or whether we are on the Dining Plan or not, or if it was at 90 days or 180 days. That said we are flexible, and don't care for places such as Cali Grill, Le Cellier or The Rose and Crown, so perhaps our palettes have been working for us.

I do know that in past editions of various tour books, the authors have recommended "double booking" as a strategy (Can you imagine?! ) . I don't think the problem with double booking lies with the days out from check in that reservations can be made, but with the system as a whole...and unfortunately, I can not imagine how to solve that problem. Ignorant people will be ignorant people. Personally, I curse the day that the Dining Plan was born.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I don't think the problem with double booking lies with the days out from check in that reservations can be made, but with the system as a whole...and unfortunately, I can not imagine how to solve that problem. Ignorant people will be ignorant people. Personally, I curse the day that the Dining Plan was born.
    Jenn, I whole-heartedly agree... but it seems the problem has come to a head with the online system. I'm wondering if people were better before re: double-booking when they were actually calling and talking to a person who would question them on it, vs. being on an impersonal computer, and they just blow right through the pop-up that asks you if you really intend to have 2 meals at 2 places at the same time.

We have never had a problem, either, no matter the timeline... but I'm concerned that the online system will just ge worse with 180 days b/c people will be that much more unsure of what they want.

And I agree with you on the DDP... we weren't fans of it in December, although our palettes aren't as flexible as you & your guys' are, either. But I'm working on it!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I cant believe they're going back to 180 days! I suprises me that people liked 180 days better then 90!

I'm almost positive that if you took a poll on the various message board the majority of people would pick 90 days!

We normally book our reservations far in advance so it's not all that important to me.

I just wonder if going to 90 days had something to do with seeing how the new computer system could handle it and now that everything is up an running without glitches they decided to go back to 180!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the people I've talked to who say they hate the 90 day window because they can't get any places they like. Really, 90 or 180 doesn't make a difference at all. Why can't they understand that???

It's the system that's the problem, not the time span.

I love the 90 day window, and wish they would keep it. At least this change won't affect our trip in December.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

It really doesn't matter to us.

We book our trips well in advance, and I don't really have a better idea of where I want to eat at 90-days vs 180-days.

Either way, we'll plan and I'll be on-line at 6am sharp, hoping and praying for what we want.

I do wish they would stay with one or the other, it is the changing that will confuse people!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I like that park hours will come out earlier but I can't imagine knowing what I want to eat 180 days out - plus we don't get the dining plan but if it happens to be free dining we would. Will free dining promotions be known 180 days out so people can plan or will we just have to guess?
    Also I would be really mad if I was one of the people whose 90 day window was October 27th. Now if I understand correctly everyone from 90 days to 180 days from October 27th will be able to book on that day..I'm glad our 90 day window opens October 5th!
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the 180 Day window! Most of the time I never plan a trip more than 6 months out. So this leave people like me out in the cold when it comes to ADRs. I really don't see why Disney would switch back the same people who couldn't get what they wanted at the 90 day mark will have the same problems at the 180 day mark. All this does is punish people for not planning their trips 6 months out
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We've never even booked a WDW resort reservation 180 days out, let alone made our ADRs. Unfortunately our work schedules have never been conducive to planning vacation time that far in advance! The 90-day window suits us perfectly.

I just can't imagine that the park calendars that Disney will release at 180 days will have any level of stability or accuracy, which will be really frustrating....
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    We've never even booked a WDW resort reservation 180 days out, let alone made our ADRs.
    Our trip next month is the ONLY one that we booked more than 180 days out, and couldn't take advantage of booking right at 180 days. LOL

I thought I would hate the 90 days out, but it's really not too bad. I agree that the problem is the system.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I hate the 180 Day window!
    Jeff, I do agree with your points. 180 days out is a long, long, long ways away to plan your "dining experiences."

I just hope that Disney does release their park schedules at least that far in advance, and then they keep to the schedules that they release! Can't tell you how many times they "revise" the schedules based on what, ahem, guests need/want.

I believe that the guests want 180 day ADR's like they want more and greater price increases...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am in the minority here but I am happy they are going back to the 180 day window. I almost always have my trips booked well in advance of that time frame. The past two years I have booked the bouceback deal for the next year. I am hoping they do another bouceback deal again. With the time frame I go by the time the 180 days opens up free dining hasn't been offered to the general public yet. This makes ADR's must easier to get.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

It comes down to a hope and a prayer to get the reservations that you want despite the timeline...I would love to be able to decide when I get there and what I am in the mood for at that given moment not 6 mths. out...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Jeff, I do agree with your points. 180 days out is a long, long, long ways away to plan your "dining experiences."
    It's actually is a long long way out to plan a trip especially in this economy.

I know for me a a lot of things factor in when planning a trip.

• DVC Availabilty
    • AP Room Rates
    • Airfare Rates
    • Time Off
    • Special Events
    • Annual pass expiration date
    • Friends and Family

To name a few. These things rarely come together within the 180 day window.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooooooo, I'm gonna be there Dec. 5th. Am I now allowed to make reservations?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

I hate that they are going back to 180 days. I find it really difficult to know where I want to eat that far in advance. However at least they have online booking so I don't have to make the pricy call from the UK
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwnomad View Post
    I guess I am in the minority here but I am happy they are going back to the 180 day window. I almost always have my trips booked well in advance of that time frame.
    I'm in the same minority. I'm that person that books the trip 6 or more months out and I already know where I want to eat when booking. I already knew where I wanted to eat for my upcoming September trip back in March, and had the hardest time getting the places I wanted and the times I wanted when I called on my 90-day mark--it was frustrating, more so because I never had to deal with that in the past (even with free dining).

I do understand I'm in the minority & not everyone knows (or just can't book ADRs) so far in advance. And I can see how maybe it isn't just the time-frame itself that blocks people out, but also those that make double (and triple) bookings to ensure they get somewhere (maybe it's a little from column A & a little from column B).
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    Sooooooooo, I'm gonna be there Dec. 5th. Am I now allowed to make reservations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    180-day Booking Window
    8/11/2009
    This adjusted booking window will go into effect, Tuesday, October 27, 2009.
    Between now and Oct. 27, 2009 it will still be the 90+10 day time frame.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolanne View Post
    I'm in the same minority. I'm that person that books the trip 6 or more months out and I already know where I want to eat when booking. I already knew where I wanted to eat for my upcoming September trip back in March, and had the hardest time getting the places I wanted and the times I wanted when I called on my 90-day mark--it was frustrating, more so because I never had to deal with that in the past (even with free dining).

I do understand I'm in the minority & not everyone knows (or just can't book ADRs) so far in advance. And I can see how maybe it isn't just the time-frame itself that blocks people out, but also those that make double (and triple) bookings to ensure they get somewhere (maybe it's a little from column A & a little from column B).
    It wasn't the 90 day window that contributed at all to your problems booking your ADR's. Everybody is in the same boat whether it's 90 or 180 days.

One big contributor is that you called in (at 7:00 am ET I would guess), and online booking opened at 6:00 am ET. You basically lost an hour there.

Also, like you mentioned, the double bookings don't help at all.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: