Quantcast Flying vs. Driving

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Flying vs. Driving

On my last trip I was wondering which was better
    driving to disney or flying.The good things about flying is that you get there fast which means you get to do more things however it is tiring to get up early to get through flight check & security.
    Driving is longer but less tiring & there really isn't any chaos as long as you have a t.v.
    overall I think that driving is better for a more relaxing trip.
    let me know what you think is better

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it would partly depend on how far you are. We live in IL, it takes about 21 hours to drive to WDW or 2 hours and 15 minutes on the plane. We have driven 2 times and flown the rest (probably 15 times). Since I can usually find airfare round trip for 4 for $700 or less, I would just prefer to go through security, fly and get there. The 2nd (and last time) we drove, we were rear-ended in the highway. Then, my husband got a speeding ticket the following day. I said never again and now we fly.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We drive from South Carolina. Our trip is about 8 1/2 hours but we love the convenience of having our car with us.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

We drive, it's about 18 hrs for us. We go part way which is Birmingham, AL and drive in the 2nd day. We enjoy it...maybe we're weird?
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown every time and this time we are actually going to drive. We will save around$900 and to me...I would rather go more often and drive. I too HATE the whole thing of flying. We went to Vegas a few months ago and the flight was so bad my husband said he would NEVER fly again. BAD weather...go figure. However, he will get over it...but we just want to try something new! I am excited. We live in Texas so it is not too far anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Early on, we drove to Disney a number of times. However, we are WAY up here in New England and it is a VERY long drive to Disney World. We have driven straight through - very tiring even with two drivers and we have overnighted in a hotel along the way.

Overall, I much prefer flying.

When you consider costs, make sure you consider ALL the costs of driving. For us, driving includes wear and tear on our car and adding more than 3,000 miles round trip. It also means paying for five meals on the road (if we leave at 4:00 a.m. and drive through to the next day before arrival), a night in a hotel or motel along the way, and two days of vacation time each way for a total of 4 days used up without really enjoying it.

Additionally, we've driven through tropical storms, snow and grid-locked traffic. We've slept in rest areas (no longer recommended for sure!) and have arrived at Disney World and at home tired from the very long drives.

Yes, flying can be stressful and, in the extreme, can mean long delays and unpleasant travel. However, overall, when travel works, it is far more relaxing. I board a plane and 4-5 hours later, I'm in Disney World.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We've driven to Disney a bunch of times, and taken the auto-train the last two times.

I HATE to fly, so driving is the best option for us, but if I didn't hate flying we would fly.

Like Faline said, there are so many "hidden" costs to driving, that's why we started taking the train. The wear and tear on the car was crazy, the hotel fees, meals, etc, it was still costing quite a bit to get to Disney. We were also arriving super-tired and worn-out, not a good way to start a trip.

I would expect that the cost of flying and driving aren't that different, and we LOVE the train.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I must drive, as I don't care to fly. Nowadays, it seems like hurry up fight the crowds, Pay for everything including things that used to be free (sodas, snacks etc) on the airplane. Hurry, board the plane and sit on the runway for 7hrs. No thank you. I would rather sit in my car for 10 hrs, cruising along and stretch my legs when needed, and arrive at WDW. Also like having the car with me.

Post Thanks / Like

For us (from Philly) I would answer driving every time unless we had the opportunity to go for a long weekend. I love to be able to pack cases of water and Gatorade (and save the cost of the hotel room on liquids alone!) We also control the pace and what we can pack and not pack. I don't think I could do the weight limit anymore. We have three kids. Driving works for us!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I'm a bit of an odd duck, I like to drive down, takes two days, one overnight stay, but would prefer to fly back, which is kind of difficult to do, or costly if you wanted to rent a car and leave it in Florida!! I can handle the drive down, and kind of like it, one is excited to get there etc. But driving back home is just depressing.......so flying then would be good.
    ºOº Dianne ºOº

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

First of all to intercot

just to let everyone here know edhunter28 is my son and my oldest :0)

I have to say I agree with driving... it is a 17 hour drive for us... we did half one day, slept and half the next day. As far as hidden costs we cut down on that A LOT by packing a cooler and stopped for picnics along the way. No eating out while on the road. We brought fresh bagels and donuts as well as breakfast bars etc. and of course bread, peanut butter and jelly. The kids love picnics and it saved us money and let us stretch our legs etc. For us it was not only less tiring but a huge money saver to drive.... there were 7 of us... the trip there and back with gas etc was around what it would have cost for 3 flight tickets from philly.

We loved taking our time compared to the rush of the airport and the hurry up and wait and the pure exhaustion flying brings... So I am another vote for driving.

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in central PA and prefer to drive.
    I leave when I want, get there when I want, and have a car when I am there if I want it.
    It costs about $200 for gas each way. We stop about three times for gas, bathroom break, stretching, and dollar menu and fastfood place.
    In 17 hours, we arrive at WDW.
    I don't worry about wear and tear on the car, that's what cars are for.

Post Thanks / Like

Two most important factors: distance (driving time) and cost - $$$. If you are within 12 hours drive or less, you can make it in one day (no hotel cost on the way), and it is much, much less costly than flying, especially if you have more than 2 in your travel party. Flying is certainly much more convenient (less than 3 hours from Chicago!) but you pay a lot of $$$ for that convenience.

For us, the decision is easy. We are only 5 hours drive time away, and the 4 of us can get there, including food on the road and incidental costs, for less than one person's airfare. Not to mention that for us to fly, it would actually take us longer. we live in Middle Ga, would have to drive 1.5 hours north to ATL, have to arrive 1.5 hours before flight time to get through security (that's 3 hours already and we're still on the ground in ATL) then 1 hour flying to MCO, wait to get off plane, get to DME bus, drive to resort and by all that time we're already checked in by driving ourselves.

But if we lived more than a day's drive away, I'd save my money to fly.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in a family that went on car trips just about every summer, so traveling by car is no big deal - DB and I got used to entertaining ourselves in the backseat long before in car DVD players and such. When we travel with my DB and SiL, driving is out of the question because SiL just can't stand to be cooped up that long.

My parents and I have driven the last two trips to WDW. The trip is 18-19 hours, which we stretch over two days. Given the time, I prefer the drive (though I have yet to actually do any of the driving, but the driver [DF] says he doesn't mind.) I'd love to have the time to stop and sightsee along the way, but so far, we (I ) haven't been willing to give up time at WDW!

While the flight itself takes less time (2.5 hours if direct), it is more expensive and more of a hassle with getting to the airport, changing flight times, security, limits on luggage, what can be packed where, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

For us there's not really a choice. It's almost impossible for DH to be away from work for more than a week so we normally only have 5 days/6 nights. Driving would eat up half our vacation. I don't find flying a hassle when I consider the alternative.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on you.

How far do you have to drive?
    Do mind driving however many hours it is?
    If it's more than a days worth of driving do you mind stopping and staying somewhere over night?
    * Maybe check out the area where you are staying over night.

If this is something you don't mind or enjoy... I'd drive.

We live in Nashville and it's 10 1/2 - 11 hrs. We used to fly but now we drive. We actually don't mind it and we get to enjoy the trip down. It's also nice to have your car. That way you can come and go as you please and don't have to wait on Disney transportation. It's amazing how much more time you have at the parks when you aren't using the Disney buses.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's a no brainer, I always fly. I am not one to sit in a car for a long tiume and the last time I took the drive down to FLA was with a friend who happened to be up here on business so I drove back down with him and he flew me back home a few days later. The drive was pure torture for me. My vacation time is very valuable to me so getting there in a few hours is much more important IMHO.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

My cousing graduated from Embry Riddle (sp?)and would, of course, drive down and back at least at the beginning and end of the semesters. Around 17 hrs, I believe it took him.

Like a pp had written, I can usually only take a full week (last year I was able to take an additional Friday so that was nice) off from work. I just wouldn't hold up to a 17 hour straight drive so I would have to overnight somewhere. A day and a half driving down and another day and a half driving back would take up nearly half of my vacation (a third if I was able to get another "extra" day off) - way too much time wasted away from my happy place, IMO.

Since it's just me and my DS13 and since I can usually get a round trip flight (2 1/2 hrs each way) for around $200 pp, I'm happier to deal with the hassles of flying in order to get "home" a lot quicker!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you consider the drive part of your vacation or part of getting to your vacation? That can make a difference in whether you drive or fly, in addition to cost, convenience, etc.

I love driving and HATE flying, so I prefer to drive when we go down. This past trip the drive down was BAD because it was during Thanksgiving weekend. I had no idea 95 though NC, SC and GA would be so bad. The drive back was a breeze, but we will never go at that time again. I might try the auto train in the future.

If I didn't drive, how else would I have discovered some interesting and beautiful places along the eastern seaboard (if you take the scenic drive down 17, rather than 95)? One year we went down via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and saw dolphins. I highly recommend it.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

After 12 fly downs this time we are driving.
    We are both retired, so we have no time limits.
    Our game plan:
    Leave NYC AM Aug 30, drive to Virginia , do Kings Dominion, and Busch Gardens,Williamsburg.Leave Va. on Wed Aug 2,and take a leisurely drive to WDW arriving on Sept 4, staying til the 13th. Then we will be off property for another 4 days to do the "other parks" before we do a nice leisurely drive back home.Two, three, four days, who cares? Maybe we will figure out someplace else to stop.
    DW and I are both large people and would need to book an extra seat to be comfortable on a plane. We are also both disabled and her scooter is in the back of our car. Walking thru an airport would do either one of us in.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: