Quantcast Animal Kingdom "Picnic" Review

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom "Picnic" Review

Well, today was a rare day for our group - two brand new dining experiences on the same day ! Not easy to do with old vets like us. I'll cover our trip to Paradiso 37 in another post, but here's our experience with the Picnic in the Park lunch.

We started off the day at Animal Kingdom at the rope drop. After riding for a few hours, including an insane "five in a row" at Kali River Rapids (the 3 year old loved it), we were hungry and headed over to the Tusker House area in Africa to pick up the "Picnic in the Park" lunches the 15 of us had ordered at the Park Entrance 3 1/2 hours before.

My family went with the Rotisserie Chicken and 3 sides (potato wedges, fruit salad, and green beans). The meal, frankly, was excellent. The chicken was solid, though I wish there was an all white meat option. Well done, flavourful and a nice change of pace from the usual corn dog or burger at AK.

The meal came in a really cool picnic carry bag (which my wife quickly co-opted as another park bag), with 4 bottled waters, the sides, the chicken, and 4 desserts (huge chocolate brownies and chocolate chip cookies). The green beans were spectacular, though the fruit salad was a little lacking (mostly cheap green melon).

The Picnic experience was a lot better than I imagined it would be, with park temps nudging 100 degrees today. We found a great little area off the river behind the Dawa bar, with some large umbrella covered picnic tables. There seemed to be a lot of other diners in the area who were also trying out the lunches, and the reviews were pretty positive.

It's been a long time since I thought I got "value" for my meal money at Disney, but at $10 a head for our group, this was certainly a great option. I heartily recommend it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your review! Sounds like a great experience.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, sounds mouth watering. Its amazing, no matter how many times you go to Disney, discuss Disney or read up about it, you are always fing out about new stuff. Thanks.
    One question, where do you order the picnic, and do they do a smaller version for the kids?
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardingella View Post
    One question, where do you order the picnic, and do they do a smaller version for the kids?
    The picnics are ordered as you walk in the front gates of AK, next to Guest Relations. Very smooth, very fast process.

No smaller version for the kids, but for us, we ordered a meal for four and it was plenty for our group of five (three adults, 2 kids ages 9 and 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if a Counter Service credit can be used for the picnic?
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcvalenti View Post
    . . . After riding for a few hours, including an insane "five in a row" at Kali River Rapids (the 3 year old loved it), we were hungry
    1) And, maybe a little wet.
    2) Sounds like a good meal break.
    3) Might have to put it on the list for a quick lunch.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning to do this when we go in October. My DW and DDs are really looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to a change from the normal Disney lunch fare...and i'm also fairly certain that temps won't be nudging 100 degrees when we're there.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. We too are planning to try this when we go in Sept. Something different to experience and eat. Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. It sounds fantastic and fun. I wish they had a option for two adults..I guess we'll have to take the kids with us one of these trips..
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had experience with the sandwich choice? How large are they and are they yummy?
    We are thinking of trying this on our next trip in November.....also, what is the earliest/latest you can pick up your order? I was thinking we'd use it as a late lunch/early dinner option.
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinboyz View Post
    Thanks for the review. It sounds fantastic and fun. I wish they had a option for two adults..I guess we'll have to take the kids with us one of these trips..
    I'm pretty sure they did have a picnic for two option ... I tossed the order form though, so I can't confirm that ... but I think it was an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! This is a great option

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for sharing

Thanks for a great review. We are going to try it next trip.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds great! We are on the CS Dining Plan, so I am not sure if this is included?? We may have to pay oop for this one!
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there in early June they did not have a picnic option for 2 - they said that they were working on that but so far you had to have at least 4 in your party.

Post Thanks / Like

We did the picnic with sandwiches in May - for three people. It was excellent and a great value. The sandwiches were large in portion and we really enjoyed them. We opted for the mac and cheese side for my DD. She isn't much of a sandwich kind of kid - unless it is baloney or peanut butter. She ate most of her sandwich and scarfed the mac and cheese. I got a spoonful of the mac and cheese and it was really tasty! DH was impressed with the picnic and thought it was pretty neat that I knew about it! Little did he know that my dear friends at Intercot keep me in the know! I definitely would recommend it.

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!