Quantcast Do you tip Mousekeeping? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you tip Mousekeeping?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

201 67.22%
  • Sometimes

50 16.72%
  • Never

48 16.05%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We tip $5 a day and usually have the same housekeeper for the week.
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We tip $1/person each day....so $5. We try to tip daily since the same person doesn't always come each day. (although, I'll admit there are times we've been running late and I've rushed out of the room forgetting the tip. In those cases, I left extra the next day)

We actually enjoy making envelopes as part of our trip planning activities. One year, we decorated little gift bags and taped the envelope on the outside, and left them, with a little maple candy (we live in MA) in the bag, each day. This was fun, though probably a little overboard.

We've always had good luck with things like towel animals and little surprises when we return to our room each day, but even if we didn't, I'd still feel better leaving a tip.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

We used to tip $1 per guest everyday of our stay, but since we have been staying at DVC resorts the past 3 trips that has changed.

Our first trip to Sarartoga we found dirty towels in a basket in the bathroom and a dirty spoon on the floor. Yes we complained and got a free total clean. We still tipped at this time.

On our second trip to Saratoga, we found dirty dishes in the cupboard. There was coffee in the cups, macaroni in the pot lid, lipstick on the glasses. It was this trip that we decided no more tipping. They just plain didn't deserve it.

On our past trip at Kidani, we again found dirty dishes in the cupboard and a glass must have broken in the dishwasher, but they didn't clean the glass out of there. I had to do it.

Seeing as how we are DVC members and that 3 times our room wasn't clean, mousekeeping will NOT get a tip from us again!
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

We stay in a timeshare and we tip 15.00 for our midweek cleaning and 15.00-20.00 at the end of the week for a total of 30-35.00. If I can afford to go on vacation, I can afford a little something for the person cleaning up after us
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
    2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
    3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
    4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
    5) WDW maids (per union contract)
    . . . make up to $12.47/hr
    . . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
    . . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
    . . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
    . . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
    . . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's
    No I do not tip Mousekeeping. For the reasons listed above. And if you ask if I tip servers... YES! 20%+

Servers are required to claim tips. Most companies have it set up that they must claim a minimum of 10% during their clock out proceedure.

Housekeeping does not claim tips. It's all unreported to the government.

In addition, I have found housekeeping at WDW to be less than most places. Even La Quinta has better housekeeping.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Iteachpc Guest

Default UGH! The Dreaded Tipping Dilemma!

I have always tipped Mousekeeping, but the last time I read a post on this subject has caused me to rethink my actions.

Someone said Mousekeepers don't get to keep their tips. Someone else has said they make a large amount per hour.

I don't mind rewarding someone for good service, but I am not a wealthy person. I work hard for my money and scrimp and save for our Disney vacations. I don't like the idea that I am giving money to folks who don't really need it and don't even get to keep it.

I'm leaning towards not tipping on my upcoming trip. That extra money ($4/day) could be used for treats for my family.

Post Thanks / Like

The one problem we have is the housekeeping staff sometimes does not take their tip even when it is in an envelope clearly marked 'Mouse-Keeping Tip'. Next trip I'm going to try a multi-lingual envelope; english and spanish. With the increasing use of spanish in the southern tier of the USA, may be including spanish would be helpful.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

We always tip daily and generally notice better service the day we've left a tip (like extra towels, towel animals, or extra shampoos/lotions). I don't do research on the wages of the housekeepers at the different hotels I stay in when I travel - my upbringing and the etiquette books generally tell me that a tip is in order when I'm provided a service and the person who has given me that service is allowed to accept the tip. Some guests leave their rooms in a disgusting state and the housekeepers do not have an easy job. We feel that if we are fortunate enough to afford to stay in a deluxe Disney hotel and take a vacation there that the people who are making our trip more easy and enjoyable deserve a little something to say thanks.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm astonished at the mental gymnastics people will go through to justify stiffing their maid. But I'd still like to help you out. So here are some other unfounded and false statements you can use if the future. You can then truthfully say that 'Someone said' and provide some lame excuse to try to justify rude/irresponsible/cheap behavior:

- The speed limit in Florida is 95 MPH everywhere
    - The moon is made of cheese
    - If you don't vote for the winning President, you don't have to pay taxes
    - WDW maids drive to work in chauffer driven limousines
    - The food didn't come as fast as when I order at Wendy's so the server doesn't deserve a tip
    - We don't have a working chimney so Santa Clause can't bring us presents
    - Babies are delivered by storks
    - Most people win the lottery eventually, so I don't need to save for retirement
    - The next (insert elected official here) will change things and make everything better

Hope this helps.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iteachpc View Post
    I don't mind rewarding someone for good service, but I am not a wealthy person. I work hard for my money and scrimp and save for our Disney vacations. I don't like the idea that I am giving money to folks who don't really need it and don't even get to keep it.

I'm leaning towards not tipping on my upcoming trip. That extra money ($4/day) could be used for treats for my family.
    I'm not a wealthy person either, but I am thankful that my job does not include cleaning toilets. Because they do the "dirty work" I show my appreciation with a tip. It costs me maybe an extra $25 bucks per trip to tip the mouse keeper each morning. That's not going to break the bank.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Renecat

We tip 1.00 per person everyday. We make up envelope with mousekeeper on them for each day before we leave home. Put monday, tuesday ect. on them and leave one everyday.
    You may not get the same mousekeeper everyday so that is why we do it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MidnTPK View Post
    I'm astonished at the mental gymnastics people will go through to justify stiffing their maid. But I'd still like to help you out. So here are some other unfounded and false statements you can use if the future. You can then truthfully say that 'Someone said' and provide some lame excuse to try to justify rude/irresponsible/cheap behavior:

- The speed limit in Florida is 95 MPH everywhere
    - The moon is made of cheese
    - If you don't vote for the winning President, you don't have to pay taxes
    - WDW maids drive to work in chauffer driven limousines
    - The food didn't come as fast as when I order at Wendy's so the server doesn't deserve a tip
    - We don't have a working chimney so Santa Clause can't bring us presents
    - Babies are delivered by storks
    - Most people win the lottery eventually, so I don't need to save for retirement
    - The next (insert elected official here) will change things and make everything better

Hope this helps.
    This is crazy logic when you consider "maids" are a not considered a tipped position by Disney.

For those who say that the pay, starting at $8.00/hour, is very little and they deserve a tip what about the people working in other areas of WDW cleaning up after us, working the shops, standing in the hot sun for hours selling drinks, etc.? Do we walk a round tipping those people as well? Housekeepers at WDW are paid as well and in some cases better than those positions. And when it comes to pay in general, my DW loves kids and has always wanted to work in a day care setting. The pay she is able to make is not much better than those in housekeeping at WDW yet she is entrusted with the lives of our young. We don't walk around expecting tips because she makes so little. It is her choice. All of us have choices when it comes to our employment including those working at WDW. If the pay is to little there are other jobs available. The fact is WDW doesn't consider this a tip position so the job that is done in each room should be the same regardless o a tip or not. I tip well at restaurants, to my hair stylist and to others who are paid based on tip but in this case I don't tip. It is a choice I make just like those of you who chose to tip. I respect the choice you make so please respect mine.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We tip $3 to $5 each day for the two of us. We do this at all hotels, not just Disney. To me, it's like tipping in a restaurant. The only time I would not tip is if we received noticeably bad service.

Post Thanks / Like

We always do.. We tip $1 per person per day. We've never had trouble with mousekeeping and they have always (knock on wood) done a great job for us. Besides..It's great fun getting the envelopes ready before our trip .. $$ and all so it's a no-brainer when we get down there.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I tip simply because I have been a housekeeper before and know how hard I was worked. I don't know the policies for housekeepers at WDW, but I know that it is not a fun or easy job and I want to show my appreciation.
    Poly June '92
    CBR Mar '05
    POP Dec '06
    POFQ Feb '09

Next trip: Nothing planned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    This is crazy logic when you consider "maids" are a not considered a tipped position by Disney.
    This is a chicken and egg thing:
    As to why housekeeping might not be considered a tipping position: because so many people don't tip their housekeeper!
    My guess is that WDW probably pays it's housekeeping staff somewhat more than a typical hotel maid because so many people who go to WDW don't know that its a standard convention to leave a gratuity for one's housekeeper.....like foreigners that don't know that in the U.S. you leave 15-20% at sit-down restaurants and bars.

It's not about respecting choices...that's a given...there's no requirement to tip. But most of us do because it's an accepted convention of politeness, generosity, thanks, and civility.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about respecting choices...that's a given...there's no requirement to tip. But most of us do because it's an accepted convention of politeness, generosity, thanks, and civility.

I like the way you think!

Tipped position or not, I leave them a tip because I want to say Thanks, but more importantly, to make their day a little nicer.

Heck, like an example I have used before, they have a tip jar at Starbucks and all they do is give you a cup of coffee...that you are paying for anyway. The least I can do is leave a tip for someone that...

Makes my bed
    Folds my extra blankets
    Provides clean towels
    Provides clean glasses
    Dumps my trash
    Cleans my tub
    Cleans my sinks
    Cleans my toilet
    Refills my toilet paper
    Vacuums my carpet
    Dusts my furniture
    and on occasion...leaves me towel animals
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

i never tipped before but i was 23 and didn't know any better.i will be tipping this aug.its only me and my daughter going you think $2 is enough per day???
    WDW-All Star Movie~Aug. 2005
    WDW-All Star Movie~Aug. 2,2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamFinder2 View Post
    Your question will, undoubtedly, start a firestorm of replies...this question usually does.
    LOL! That is exactly what I was thinking as I opened this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Wouldn't tipping Mousekeeping be like tipping a Waitress/Waiter before you are seated since you are giving a tip before the service has even been done or do you usaually get the same Mousekeeper during the stay?
    After our last trip I have started tipping after the first clean. Here is why. . .

On our last trip the children began their love affair with strawberry milk. Needless to day our youngest two, 4 and 2, sometimes spilled. I always cleaned it up but one morning our youngest happened to spill some on the bed while watching cartoons. So I left the sheets pulled back enough so you could see the spot. Naturally I figured mousekeeping would change the sheets. Upon our return we found that the sheet was removed, the bed was made (without a sheet), and the clean sheet was folded on top of the bed, not on the bed. How fun it was to have to unmake the beds, when I still had to bathe all three children, 5 months pregnant after a very long day in the parks. Figuring it was a fluke I just went about our trip, mildly irritated. I tipped inbetween because at one point we had a great mousekeeper that did some really great things with the children's stuffed animals. For example, one night they were all propped up on pillows watching TV when we came in. The kids went nuts! But then the tide turned and we got the "other mousekeeper" back. Another night we came back and the sheets were folded on the bed! Now I was irritated. Like I previously stated we were in WDW with three children and I was 5 months pregnant with #4, at the end of the day I was tired! I have this this thing with doing your job correctly and to the best of your ability and this wasn't the case. So I went to the front desk and spoke with a manager. She offered me one day park tickets for each member of our family (5 of us) I declined once but she insisted I take them as an apology from WDW (not that I don't appreciate the gesture but we get length of stay park hoppers on our trips). She offered to have a mousekeeper come down and make the beds for me. I thanked her and explained that I was more than capable to doing the job but I didn't feel that I should have to since this was a service that was supposed to be provided to WDW guests (I did make the beds myself). As a business owner I would want to know if it were one of my employees. She was very gratious but after the experience I tip after they clean the rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    . . . I am thankful that my job does not include cleaning toilets. Because they do the "dirty work" I show my appreciation with a tip.
    Me too! I hate cleaning my own toilets at home never mind someone else's! Yuck!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

... do you wan the person who has access to some of your most intimate things to like you or think you are a donkey?
    Okay, this is why I HATE these threads. Folks who are so proud of the fact that they leave a few bucks a day for a NON-TIPPED position want to make the rest of us, who know it is a NON-TIPPED position, feel bad. Shame on all of you "I make special envelopes and seal them with a kiss and you should too" people. It's perfectly okay and normal not to tip a NON-TIPPED position, and no one is going to get gold-plated towel animals because they left $1.50 on the counter, so get over that one too!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: