Quantcast Majority of guests - on site or off site? Opinion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Majority of guests - on site or off site? Opinion

This may not belong in this section, so moderators feel free to move it.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the majority of the crowds stay on site or off site for their Disney visits? I guess there is really no way to really know? I'm trying to strategically plan what park to go to on which day - taking EMH's into consideration. I know they are for Disney resort guests only, but wondered about the non-resort guests and how they plan their park visits. Specifically, going to MK on a Monday, which I know is listed as one of the busiest days of the week....but there is an EMH in the am somewhere else that day, and MK has the EMH the night before on Sunday night. Thought Monday might be good, but non-Disney resort guests might make that their 1st park.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd add my two cents, but I'm exhausted from posting on this topic, so I'll offer a little piece of advice: there is literally dozens of threads on this topic weighing the pros and cons, including one right now that is heavily active ... just search for 'offsite' and they are easily found.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't have any stats to back me up on this, but if I had to take a general guess based on observations of crowd levels during EMH vs. at normal times, the number of guests I see going through turnstiles with room keys, etc. I would say that a majority of guests in the park at any one given time are staying on property.

If I had to take a stab at a percentage I'd guess it's somewhere in the 65/36 - 70/30 range.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to the MK on a Monday after a Sunday night MK EMH and have been pleasantly surprised by the low crowds. I think you can find slightly lower crowds by avoiding parks with EMH and to go to a park the day after an evening EMH in that park. I like to park hop so that I can take advantage of EMH when crowds are lower (opening time for Morning, well after regular close for evening) and hop when parks are more crowded.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I google'd a little... Disney has a total of ~32,000 rooms onsite. Let's use some generally accepted US stats of 3.5 people per family (yes there more, yes there are less).

32000 * 3.5 = 112,000. That's at 100% occupancy. Let's take a more realistic number... 80% (being generous), 89,600 people.

Daily attendance is 44K MK, 27K Epcot, 23K DHS, 22K AK. This means MK gets 38% of visitors. 38% of 89,600 people is 34,000 people.

So... Yes. I'm guessing the majority of people you see at the parks are on site. =)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you what my DH -- an ex-CM -- told me. Mondays are more crowded at the Magic Kingdom because most people arrive at the World (or Orlando) on Sunday. On their first full day of vacation, they want to go to the MK.

We avoid Mondays at all costs. We've had better luck on weekends. (Sunday mornings, a lovely time to be at the MK...)

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    I'll tell you what my DH -- an ex-CM -- told me. Mondays are more crowded at the Magic Kingdom because most people arrive at the World (or Orlando) on Sunday. On their first full day of vacation, they want to go to the MK.

We avoid Mondays at all costs. We've had better luck on weekends. (Sunday mornings, a lovely time to be at the MK...)

Kathy
    Kathy, this used to be the case, and still is in many guidebooks and advice sites, but with evening EMH at MK on a Sunday night, we've found that Mondays have really changed at the MK. We went on a Monday after evening EMH last trip and the MK was pretty empty, nothing longer than a 30 minute wait (Peter Pan). I used to avoid Mondays at MK but no longer, if there's an evening EMH on the night before (give it a shot!).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Good info re: Mondays. I will have to check that out!
    Johnny Po!
    1978 - 1984 too many to count - OffSite
    2000 - POFQ, MOWC (Sept)
    2001 - CS, Offsite (Jan) ASM (June) POFQ (Sept)
    2004 - POFQ (Sept)
    2005 - WL (June) AKL (Sept)
    2008 - Poly (Nov)
    2009 - Poly Club (July)
    2011 - BC Club (Sept)
    2013 - BWI Club(Aug)

Post Thanks / Like

We are going in September and plan to hit Mk on Monday as well because of the emh the night before! We use to think like alot of people and hit MK right away when we arrive on Sunday but we decided to try something different this year.

I also have to take into consideration The not so Scary Halloween Party that will close the MK early twice during the week for those who wish not to attend and how that will affect crowds on other days.
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Kathy, this used to be the case, and still is in many guidebooks and advice sites, but with evening EMH at MK on a Sunday night, we've found that Mondays have really changed at the MK. We went on a Monday after evening EMH last trip and the MK was pretty empty, nothing longer than a 30 minute wait (Peter Pan). I used to avoid Mondays at MK but no longer, if there's an evening EMH on the night before (give it a shot!).
    Or it could also be that it's in all the guidebooks and advice sites to avoid MK on Mondays, so now it's dead.

That's the one problem with guidebooks ... everyone buys them, so the advice is quickly useless.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone just asked an imagineer this very question on the monorail. He said about 30 percent of disney guest stay on property while the other 70 percent stay off.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume the number would be closer to 60 offsite and 40% on property. Think of the areas of "Maingate", "Maingate West", Downtown Disney hotels, and everyone who stays up at Universal/sea world areas. All of those areas are mainly hotels/restraunts, and tourist stores because of the amount of guests that stay off site.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

i also think it depends on what time of year you are talking about, id say in september when its off season and disney runs stuff like free dining the percentage of people staying on site goes up vs the middle of summer when its peak season and disney isnt running any great promos a lot more people stay off site(percentage wise)
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know what the guide books have to say about your question. I would say the majority of guests going to the parks are staying onsite. I do not have ant data to back me up on this statement, so it is more of a hypothesis.
    Staying off site
    If the late EMH is heavily attended, then I would go to that park the next day. I would stay away from parks that have early EMH. I do not think it matters for DHS. Their late EMH are not scheduled as late as the MK or EPCOT.
    The question I have would be which of the parks is more heavily attended.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: