Quantcast Sick Toddler - Any Advice?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sick Toddler - Any Advice?

I have a 2 1/2 yo DD and a 3 week old Newborn. My 2 1/2 yo just came down with something last night - she has a runny nose, cough, fever and sore throat. At this point I'm freaking out because of two things: 1. the swine flu scare - I'm terrified that this could be the swine flu even though (as far as I know) we haven't been around anyone who has it, and 2. I am SO scared that my newborn is going to catch whatever this is and it's extremely dangerous for such a young baby to get sick. My pediatrician told me that if a baby under 2 months old gets a fever they automatically have to admit them to the hospital and take a number of invasive tests including a spinal tap just to be on the safe side. So far we've been very diligent about hand washing and making sure that our DD doesn't touch the newborn but I'm still very worried. Does anyone have any advice as to what else we can do to make sure our little baby doesn't get sick too? I'm taking our DD to the doctors this afternoon and I'm hoping they'll have some suggestions also. Thanks so much in advance!
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You're already doing the very best thing that you can do, and that's bringing your daughter to the doctor's. They will be able to guide you on what to next, especially in terms of any concerns over your newborn. Statistically though, chances are good that it's not the swine flu, but just a late-season virus making the rounds. And don't forget that if your are nursing your baby that she (is it another little girl?) is protected by your antibodies.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Would they really do a spinal tap even though you could probably safely assume the baby has whatever virus your daughter has?

I feel for you. Having two kids spaced five years apart myself, I remember how hard I tried to keep our newborn from getting every virus his big sister brought home. You're doing the most important thing you can by washing your hands. And as the previous poster said, if you're nursing, that's a huge layer of protection in itself.

I hope your daughter feels better quick!
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

Post Thanks / Like

My DS got a cough (very barky if you know what I mean), fever (103 degrees), sore throat and runny nose late Fiday night. The doctor confirmed he has Croup and said they have seen quite a few cases of it in the last few weeks. So, it probably isn't the swine flu that your DD has, it could be something as simple as croup or strep throat.

Also, after each of my children were born, I came down with the flu. My DH had to go back to work, so I was one sick mommy taking care of those babies, and neither of them got sick.

For now, just keep your DD away from your baby, wash hands often, and see what the Dr says. I hope everything works out well for you.
    °O° Cassandra °O°

Beach Club 4/07
    Caribbean Beach 2/09

Post Thanks / Like

I believe she had a boy this time.

I hate when I had a newborn and one of my other kids get sick. Just keep watch over fever and try to rest when you can, you are tired from the baby and that runs down your system. I won't even tell you that they catch everything when they get into Kindergarten, I know this is coming next year when my youngest goes. Oh, I use saline spray on my kids to clear out their respiratory system when they are sick or have bad allergies. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a daycare with infants and toddlers together. Basically, there's only so much you can do. With you being at home with the baby, just make sure you're washing your hands very often and keeping your daughter away and that will significantly limit spread of germs. Also, where she's so young, you don't have to worry yet about your daughter touching her runny nose, putting her hands in her mouth, and touching everything, and then having your older exploring-aged baby going and putting everything in their mouth behind her. That's when the real fun starts.. haha.

Also, I swear by clorox wipes when someone in my home is sick or when my boyfriend or I have something at our apartment - a couple of times a day I wipe down light swithces, sink handles, the fridge handle, remotes, anything that gets touched regularly by people in the house... and that keeps the spread of things down, too.

Good luck, I know how nerve-wracking it can be with the little little ones... life would certainly be a lot easier if kids were born knowing how to cover their coughs and sneezes, keep their hands and toys out of their mouths and noses, and wash their hands. What a dream that would be.
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: