Quantcast Backpack/Fannypack essentials

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Backpack/Fannypack essentials

We are taking our first Disney trip this coming September. What are the essentials that we will need to carry with us in the parks BUT kept to a bare minimum? It will be much more enjoyable the less we have to lug around all day. Tickets, camera, etc....

Thanks!

1979 - When I was 6 six years old

1989 - Stayed outside the park

Sept. 2009 - All Star Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're staying on property, the nice thing is you can carry your room key and almost nothing else. You will hardly need cash for anything; use your room key as charge card and ticket. Carry your ID, your room key and maybe $20 in cash just in case, and you're all set on that.

As for the rest -- camera is good, but if you prefer not to carry it, you can always take advantage of Photopass and let the Disney photographers do all your picture taking for you. You'll miss a lot of candid shots, but every shot you do get will be picture perfect! That's a personal preference thing.

Remaining must-haves: sunglasses and hat, sunscreen, tissues (for wiping sunscreen out of eyes and dabbing at tears of joy). I attach a carabiner to my belt loop and attach my hat (almost always a baseball hat style) to my belt when I'm inside - nice for shows and any ride where you could lose it. Having your sunglasses on a lanyard or chain around your neck is helpful too, since it seems like you're always going in and out of buildings. Something to hold a water bottle is a nice-to-have - one of those things with the rubber ring and a clip or a lanyard. Better yet, carry your own metal or plastic reusable water bottle - cheaper and more eco-friendly. There are plenty of water fountains all over the parks.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Oh - one more thing. If you're staying on property and you make any purchases, they will send your packages back to your hotel for later pickup, so you don't have to lug them around. Take advantage of this super-convenient service!
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, your first trip. I am so excited for you. One thing you might want to carry, a few bandaids and a couple of tylenol. You never know.
    It's still very warm in Sept here, take pool breaks in the afternoon. Have fun!!!!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I always carry baby wipes to clean hands and faces of my kids.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh almost forgot rain poncho's!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I take with me...

sunglasses
    sun screen
    ticket/room card
    camera
    wallet
    hat
    hand sanatizer

Those are my bare essentials. ^_^
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

On my next trip I plan to carry:

Room key / AP / Photopass card / TIW card / ADR info
    Drivers license
    debit card / credit card
    cash
    chapstick or blistex
    ibuprofen
    camera
    comb / ponytail band
    hat
    cell phone
    rain poncho if more than usual afternoon shower predicted
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Oh - one more thing. If you're staying on property and you make any purchases, they will send your packages back to your hotel for later pickup, so you don't have to lug them around. Take advantage of this super-convenient service!
    I have heard of people doing this, but I never have. Do I just ask for the service or what?
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I wore a small lightweight nylon drawstring backpack on our trip in 2005 taking turns wearing it. It was great! It had a hidden compartment with a side zipper that was out of view of others. It held our sunglasses and my room key perfectly. The larger drawstring portion of the backpack held our camera, disney rain ponchos, sunscreen, tylenol, 2 water bottles a small brush, 2 washcloths in baggies for cooling ourselves down if we got too hot. A few times we took our refillable resort mugs with us to the parks....especially if we were going to be going to a show. Once the mugs were empty we just stashed them in the back back and refilled them occasionally with water, however that did make it a bit more bulky as they were bigger than the water bottles. Since we were wearing the backpack our hands were free and we were able to leave it on during many of the rides. The great thing about the drawstring backpack was that it was impossible for anyone to access the backpack unless we took it off so no chance of anyone taking anything when you least expected it. I did recently buy a small travelon messenger type bag and may try that when we head that direction next spring just to see how it works but the drawstring backpack is definitely coming with us. Boy I just realized that I got quite a bit off topic so here is what we took with us to the parks each day:
    Sunglasses
    Room key
    Disney rain ponchos
    Camera
    Sunscreen
    Tylenol
    2 water bottles
    Small brush
    2 washcloths in baggies
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

While this probably isn't necessary to say in 2009...we all also carry our cellphones in the parks, great to use to regather the troops if you split up for some reason (i.e. send someone across the park for fastpasses) or locate someone if you get separated for a bit.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyMinnie View Post
    I have heard of people doing this, but I never have. Do I just ask for the service or what?
    Yes. If you want it sent back to your resort, just let them know. They'll have you fill out a quick form, but it's worth it not to carry it all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    We have done this several times. It is the only way to go. However, it is not available the day you leave and I would probably not do it the day before either, just in case.

However, you can also have your item available for pickup at the front gate on those days, which is almost as good.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

On the last trip we carried:
    my camera with extra battery and storage card
    a little bit of cash
    ID/room key (had tickets and money on it)/ADR info on little cards/photopass card
    autograph book and pen for my sister
    tissues
    hand sanitizer
    pain medicine
    bandaid
    those little strings you put on glasses that go around your neck for the fast rides (I'm blind without my glasses so I can't take any chances!)

The cards were put in the camera bag which is small and I carry around my neck. My sister had a fannie pack (won't give them up at Disney but since I'm not carrying anything I'm happy! ) that we put everything else in. We always picked up a map and times guide that she put in on top of everything too. We sent all packages back to the resort (except one day when we bought some snacks at World Showcase which you can't have sent. It really made me appreciate that service!). Unlike most people, we didn't carry our cell phones since we were always together and it was just the two of us. If more were going, we would have had those too. We also found that we could get a bottle of water and split it so it wouldn't get too warm. My sister had enough room to stick it down at the side of her pack between the strap and herself and that held it tight. We got to extreme lengths to keep our hands free and not have to remove things for rides! I'd say only carry what you think you will need and if you see after the first day that you don't need it, just leave it behind after that.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I won't echo everything that other posters have mentioned because they have pretty much summed up the essentials, but I will throw in the fact that my DH always wears cargo shorts and we're able to get away without actually carrying a bag this way. We haven't done a disney trip with kids however, and I'm sure we won't be able to get away with that then!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

I bring a small cross bag style purse. I bring hand sanitizer, tissue, and a little baggie with alka seltzer, immodium, bendyrl and advil (just a few of each - almost never need it - but if you do, you will be glad you have it), bandaids and sunscreen....
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Shout wipes. They are small and convenient. Who knows you may get a little crazy with a Mickey Ice Cream Bar!
    Enjoy The Magic!!

Dawn,Denise&Diane
    New trip in the works! Can't wait to get back! WDW a little piece of heaven here on earth!

Post Thanks / Like

Small hand sanitizer and sunscreen!!

Post Thanks / Like

I take:
    Excedrin
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen
    Hand wipes
    A ziplock bag (always comes in handy!)
    Camera
    Bandaids
    Phone
    Tissue

Post Thanks / Like

I added this to my essentials a couple of years ago....individual lemonade or fruit flavored pkg that you add to water bottles. I buy 1 water bottle at the park, drink nice cold water and the rest of the day I can flavor the free water. They fit nicely in a travel QTip holder and provide a flavorful drink for free.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: