Quantcast How to keep birds away?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to keep birds away?

Does anyone know how to keep birds out of a yard and from pooping on patio furniture? We just built a patio under ot deck and the birds keep pooping on the chairs. We since have stacked the chairs and put them under our deck stairs every night, but now they have resorted to doing their business on the side of the house!!

I love birds and hearing them sing, etc., but this has gotten ridiculous. Any ideas to get them out of the yard for good?
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside of netting your whole yard, there's not much that can be done.

I would at the very least eliminate any incentives for them, including bird feeders, bird baths, etc. There are some items you can try hanging from your house that may scare them, but you may not like the looks of them either.
    Last edited by Carol; 04-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try putting out a scare crow or an owl statue.
    There are sonic noise things that you can buy.
    Like someone else said get rid of the food, water and baths that may be around.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    Try putting out a scare crow or an owl statue.
    There are sonic noise things that you can buy.
    Like someone else said get rid of the food, water and baths that may be around.
    We have woodpeckers around. Caught one the other day pecking on my owl. The sonic devices don't work either, although they do drive people crazy with the clicking, etc.

Don't waste your money on things that don't work... Just passing on some information.

For the woodpeckers, we were told by a wildlife "management" company, the best thing in our case would be the pellet gun. They do work...

And yes, I do know ...

I know, I know...

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you can figure out how to keep the birds away, email Disney management. Those things drive me nuts when I'm in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. And it doesn't help that people think it's "so cute" to feed the birdies while they're flying around, pooping on everyone else trying to eat.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a cat or a dog? I have both, and they are both indoor pets, but every time I walk the dog, she sure scares off all the wildlife around my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Owls

We got an owl at Lowes and put the owl on the fence, all that happened was, the cat hissed at it. He didn't like it at all.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

The owls and other static raptors will work for a week or two, but the birds will eventually figure out they aren't real. Our township has some success with floating alligator heads in a local pond, since they were tethered and would move around.

There used to be a sticky product you could get to put on surfaces where birds would perch. They don't like it so would stop landing there. It needs to be reapplied every so often, though. Eliminating water and food sources from your backyard can help.

Your best bet for advice would be to talk to a local pest control company that specializes with birds or to contact your local university extension.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. We tried the fake owl and after a week, the birds broke him!! He had a huge hole in his back! So much for that working.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

A varied approach might be what it takes...sometimes a rubber snake placed where they perch will move them someplace else...hard for anyone to know what more you might do without more info thou...are they perching in a tree hanging over the deck, on a power line, directly on the furniture, or what.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The fake snakes will work and the fake owls will help some. The trick is you have to move them around regularly. If you just put them out there and leave them, it doesn't take long and the the birds realize they are fake because they stay in the exact same spot all the time.

Another thing you can do if they are perching on something like the top of a column or post is put some of those wire spikes on top. They won't land on anything with spikes. You can buy pre-made wire spikes but I just went to the hardware store and bought a roll of wire and made my own to fit where I needed them. No more birds trying to build nests on the tops of my columns or ledges.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get rid of birds is about as likely as getting rid of gray squirrels (if you live in a wooded neighborhood). A cat is about as good as anything. But some birds will try to attack the cat. You might as well ask how to stop it from raining. It's just nature. It's going to happen.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever the Cooper's Hawk comes into our yard, all the other birds sure fly off in a hurry! The only problem with that is that we can't figure out what entices the Hawk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    Whenever the Cooper's Hawk comes into our yard, all the other birds sure fly off in a hurry! The only problem with that is that we can't figure out what entices the Hawk.
    Cooper's Hawks feed on other birds.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Will, I feed birds to encourage them to come. But maybe if you put suet out on the edge of your yard, away from your patio, that might keep them away. Get the hot pepper variety because the squirrels will gobble up a suet cake in a few minutes, but they don’t like hot pepper. The birds dont mind. I go through about 2 suet cakes a week and I have a lot of woodpeckers and other birds that like them.

I put mine on a pole and use a cheap lock to attach it. I lost a few feeders from squirrels dragging them away.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: