Quantcast Perfect resort for Honeymoon?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perfect resort for Honeymoon?

My fiance and I are getting married at the end of August, and we finally decided to go to Disney World on our honeymoon. We are so excited as my finace hasn't been there in over 15 years, and it has been 5 years for me.

I remember using this board when I palnned by last trip all those years ago, so I'm back for more help. We have it narrowed down to AKL, WL, or the Contemporary for our trip -- either 6 or 7 nights right over Labor Day weekend. It is just so hard to choose.

I always wanted to stay at the Contemporary when I was a little kid, and the monorail makes it so convenient. But we really like the theming of WL and AKL.

We are 28 adn 29 years old with no kids, and plan on having a blast on this trip -- I love Epcot the most. We are both kind of geeky in that we love behind the scene tours and stuff like that. The resort pool isn't that important to us, and we do like to be adventurous when dining.

So, what resort would you choose? Also, is it really hard to get a King room? It seems like there are so few king rooms at each resort, but we really just don't need 2 beds for the two of us.

Thanks in advanced!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to INTERCOT . I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions on where to spend your honeymoon.

You've definitely narrowed it down to 3 great choices. Just to cover a few things that you mentioned as part of your "likes":

1. Love Epcot ~ well none of your choices are Epcot resorts, but AKL has direct transportation (no sharing) which might be a plus and CR is a stop away from the TTC, where you would transfer to the Epcot monorail.

2. Pool not important ~ the only big difference with the pools, that you might find as a plus, is that the CR now has 4 rental cabanas available. They have flat screen tv's, very comfortable padded lounge chairs and it's a great way to relax by the pool, if you aren't necessarily going swimming.

3. Adventurous dining ~ AKL offers some adventuruous dining, but you're limited to only the 2 sit down restaraunts on site. Both WL and CR have only the 2 as well, but you are close enough to the other monorail resorts, that you could easily travel for a meal.

4. King room ~ Unfortunately, at the deluxes, you can only guarantee a king bed by staying in a honeymoon suite. It's a request in the standard rooms, but I would be sure to note on your reservation that it is your honeymoon. It might increase your chances.

CR ~ walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, cool modern design, water sports available on site, amazing MK views, popular spot for families and conventions

WL ~ woodsy, more secluded location, you cant take a romantic walk to Fort Wilderness (bike rentals, horseback riding, canoes, carriage ride), boat rentals available, beautiful lobby

AKL ~ ultimate in secluded location, you might not even remember your in Disney World, African dining, dedicated bus service, sunset safari and dinner at Jiko's (available for AKL guests only)

I hate doing this to people, especially when they've already narrowed down their choices, but I would suggest a second look at the Boardwalk Inn. You'd be within walking distance of Epcot's International entrance and numerous food choices. When we stayed at the YC, we did have park hoppers and found ourselves going into Epcot just to grab some lunch or a snack. It was really great.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

1st off CONGRATS
    2nd,(back)
    We stayed at the AKL for our honeymoon. Loved every minuet of it. I could have spend my entire honeymoon sitting outside our balcony watching the aminals. It's amazing to get up early and rink your coffee watching the giraffe's eating their breakfast from a tree right by you or the zebra's wondering around. By far my favorite resort. We are the same age as ya'll are too.
    Let us know what you chose.
    Jennifer
    Princess Mallorie's Mommy

Many times as a little girl
    2001- off-site
    2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    2007- Pop Century (came back with the best souvenir !!!!!!)
    2008- Put on hold for new baby, born 10/02/08!
    2010-Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!!

Me and my wife Honeymooned at Disney last August. We stayed at WL and we loved it. We had the honeymoon suite and we just loved it. I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of the resorts you chose.

I vote for the Wilderness Lodge though.
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2008 Wilderness Lodge and Coronado
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, the Honeymoon.

For me, it was important that my honeymoon was at a remote location, where as a couple, we could just focus on each other. Privacy, peace and quiet, strolling alone, were important.
    For those reasons, i would eliminate the Contemporary, as it is more in the middle of everything. And to me it seems a little "cold" and not as romantic as your other choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

As already mentioned, you do have 3 excellent choices. I would personally point you toward the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We just love the resort and the peaceful feel. They also have some of the best dining - and just to update a previous post - they have 3 sitdown restaurants (Boma, Jiko, and the brand new Sanaa). They also have what we feel is the best counter-service food at Mara. Throw in the animals, one of the most relaxing pools, an indoor and outdoor fire where you can relax in rocking chairs. It's a terrific experience. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your wedding! Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Out of your final three, we've stayed at the CR. I would not want to spend a honeymoon there--too busy.

We do not care for the WL--we are not into the woodsy/mountain/outdoorsy theme at all.

Our dream vacation is to stay at the AKL one day so that would be our pick for your honeymoon. I can't think of anything better--it is a lovely resort, you can sit on your balcony and see the animals, they have great restaurants, etc.
    Split Stay--AKL and CSR in 2010???

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered Poly? We stayed there for our Honeymoon and it's super romantic...especially sharing a hamock by the lagoon at night, staring at the castle - even watching wishes from there...plus if you love epcot you can walk to the TTC from Poly!!! It's AMAZING
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the Poly isn't one of your options, but that is a great, romantic resort. If cost is an issue, remember if you book soon then you can still get the dining plan free, which is an $80 value per day for the two of you.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the hardest part --- I have to get the room picked before I will allow myself to start thinking about dinner reservations!

Thanks everyone for your advice. WL probably has my favorite theme, but then it would be so nice to see the animals at AKL right from the room. I know the Contemporary doesn't seem that romantic, but it appears to have to nicest bathrooms from all the pictures I have looked at online.

I know that some of you love the Poly, but it just looks so cheesy to me. Maybe pictures don't do it justice, but, having never seen it in person close-up, it looks kind of chintzy and old. I could be completely wrong on this though!

My fiance and I are going to have to have a long talk about this tonight. I want to get this trip booked ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

Of the resorts you've narrowed it down to I would pick AKL - when we stayed there we loved it. The resort just has a really layed back and relaxed feel to it. You'll be on your honeymoon so you'll want some quite time and the balcony of your room over looking the savannah will provide that.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!We will be there the same weekend as you for our honeymoon..and we are the same ages as you guys too....28 and 29....we are leaning towards AKL....just waiting for the AP rates to come out. Right now we're booked at Saratoga Springs which is a beautiful resort as well. Happy Planning and Congrats to us both!

EMILY

Now approaching.......Mickey's Star Traders!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Honeymoon rooms

Wow! Congratulations.

We actually stayed at Shades of Green which may not be an option for you. But, of your choices I would probably go with WL for its theming and location.

However, as others have noted Poly is a great option. No, it is not cheesy. I would think that sitting on the beach (reclining chairs optional) at night together watching the Electrical Water Pageant with your shoes off would be a great end to a wonderful day together. It is a great resort and really nice. The bathrooms are nice too!
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

We spent our honeymoon at WL too. It was our first stay anywhere other than the Polynesian and we fell in love with it! If you love the theming of the WL, you will love staying at WL. Both AKL and WL excel at immersing you in the theming - in my opinion, the best on property!

the Poly is not cheesey at all - the pictures defintely do not do it justice. It really is a beautiful resort to experience.

Even if you do not stay at AKL or WL, both have great restaurants that you might enjoy - Jiko at AKL and Artist Point at WL.

I have not stayed at the Contemporary but I agree that it is not necessarily the more romantic of the three.
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

I love the contemporary, but would probably pick WL or AKL for a honeymoon. They seem so romantic, unless you are planning on one of the coveted MK views at the contemporary. That would be truly magical.

Congrats and have a wonderful honeymoon!! We vacationed at CBR on our honeymoon, 10 years ago this Christmas, and are headed back for our 10 yr. anniversary this year. We loved the hammocks at night at CBR.

Stephanie
    Stephanie

DD 9.5, DD 7.5, DS 5.5

1st Trip ~ Offsite ~ Dec. 1997
    2nd Trip ~ CBR ~ Dec. 1999
    3rd Trip ~ POP ~ April 2007
    4th Trip ~ POR ~ Dec. 2009
    5th Trip ~ 12th Anniversary Trip ~ POLY ~ Dec. 16th - 24th 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lspst888 View Post
    This is the hardest part --- I have to get the room picked before I will allow myself to start thinking about dinner reservations!

Thanks everyone for your advice. WL probably has my favorite theme, but then it would be so nice to see the animals at AKL right from the room. I know the Contemporary doesn't seem that romantic, but it appears to have to nicest bathrooms from all the pictures I have looked at online.

I know that some of you love the Poly, but it just looks so cheesy to me. Maybe pictures don't do it justice, but, having never seen it in person close-up, it looks kind of chintzy and old. I could be completely wrong on this though!

My fiance and I are going to have to have a long talk about this tonight. I want to get this trip booked ASAP
    Don't pressure yourself so much!! Something that I think most of us would agree on - you really do not have a BAD choice among the 3 you are looking at. They are all extremely nice places and they all can make your honeymoon memorable.

And just for the record, earlier I told you AKL was our choice from the 3 you mentioned. If you would have had Poly on your list, I would put that right up there with AKL. 'Cheesy' is a word I would never associate with the Polynesian. It is very elegant, relaxing, and a very romantic place to stay.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to persuade you from your picks, but Poly is ANYTHING but cheesy...I have been to Hawaii and it's like going to Hawaii and Disney at the same time. The newly refurbed rooms are AMAZING. from the pillows and beds that put you to sleep so easily, to the tasteful decor and gorgeous closets and bathrooms.... the entire resort is the most magical I've visited or stayed at and FAR SUPERIOR to the contemporary. Check out this link to see what others are saying on another intercot message board http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=153615
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know it is hard to change when you form opinions about something. I'll always think of the CR as the "toaster" and the Poly will always be "Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii circa 1970". It's bad I know and people have some pretty pre-concieved notions about my favorite resorts that I know aren't true, but there it is .
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I think your choice should be your choice and should depend on what your personal tastes are.

We have never stayed at AKL, but our friends have. He has spent a lot of time in different parts of Africa for business and says the atmosphere and dining are incredibly close to the real thing.

We love WL because of the outdoors-ey woods-ey theme. It is just a beautiful place with tall pines and a early western theme. If there were only some mountains, or at least a geyser or something....

We spent our second honeymoon (25th) at POFQ. We love the intimacy and theming there.

There are positives to all the resorts and a lot is going to depend on your personal tastes. In any event, you are going to be at WDW and you are going to have a great time.

Remember to reserve some time to go to some of the theme parks. Apparently there are quite a few and quite the attractions unto themselves.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congrats

My husband and I did AKL for our Honeymoon 1 1/2 years ago and i very much enjoyed the resort, however my husband fell totally in love and it is his favorite resort and is now trying to conveince me to get a DVC there.

The food was very nice and Jiko is a nice snazzy place to do one dinner since it's your honeymoon. Also I know every couple says they will eat at their reception but THEY DON'T so having the buffet there our first night was amazing. I don't think I have ever eaten so much in my life.

Also I do feel like they treat you nice there b/c it is your honeymoon, I'm sure they do everywhere but I felt the most special there.

As far as the pool goes, I know you said it wasn't a big deal to you guy but one thing we found was at night when we got back from the parks the pool area was dead and we could go relax in the hot tubs all by ourselves, it was really great.

I would recommend AKL
    Mar. '04- Spring Break~ Pop Century
    Sept. '07- Honeymoon~ AKL
    Oct. '08- Coronado Springs
    Christmas '10- Wilderness Lodge
    Nov. '12- PO: FQ
    Sept. '14- Caribbean Beach
    May '15- PO: Riverside
    Nov. '16- Coronado Springs
    Nov. '17- Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. '18- 1st Trip as DVC Owner- Boulder Creek

Share This Thread On Social Media: