Quantcast Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas Dead - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Wish I had known ... we could have hoisted a beer in Harry's honor, Maryanne.

And don't feel bad about being a sobbing mess. I was listening to the ceremony in the car and when they started with Bridge Over Troubled Water I just lost it. I sat in the car with the two kids probably thinking their Dad is a kook and listened to every note with tears in my eyes.

You know, though, just getting the chance to sing High Hopes with Harry during the stretch last night was a great way for me to say goodbye. Which isn't to say I haven't watched his sendoff on Comcast like 10 times already, but for me that was my "moment."

I also stood silently out front of the ballpark by his memorial and just took it all in ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of people who lost it as they played Bridge Over Troubled Water and then brought Harry's casket through the gauntlet of Phillies front office, family and then the Phillies players, with Charlie Manuel, Jimmy Rollins, Brett Myers, Jamie Moyer and Ryan Howard placing him in the hearse. I had managed to get through most of the ceremony with just getting a little choked up in a few spots.

First choked up moment- When Harry's sons went to the casket to pay their final respects.

Second choked moment- when the players (past and present) paid their final respects. You got to see how each personally handles grief which moved me.

Third moment- when the cameras would show the players faces while the eulogies were being said and you saw so many of them openly crying.

After seeing the players at the memorial, I am giving them a mulligan for the last few games. But now, they have had a night to sleep after the memorial and it is time to get back to business. Yes, you know they are going to miss Harry, but now is the point where they need to regroup and go on, as we all need to do when someone close to us dies. It will not be easy, but that needs to start today.

I'll be at today's game and will make it a point to stop at 3rd base gate, where Mike Schmidt's statues and Harry's memorial is located.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    First choked up moment- When Harry's sons went to the casket to pay their final respects.

Second choked moment- when the players (past and present) paid their final respects. You got to see how each personally handles grief which moved me.

Third moment- when the cameras would show the players faces while the eulogies were being said and you saw so many of them openly crying.

With an added footnote that Victorino was a mess. He cried nearly the entire time. He's an emotional guy. I love that about him.

I'll be at today's game and will make it a point to stop at 3rd base gate, where Mike Schmidt's statues and Harry's memorial is located.
    You should, Christine. It's very moving. Keep an eye out for the battered old transistor radio with the worn Phillies "P" sticker on it.

In keeping with the trend ... when I saw that ...
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian I thought about mentioning meeting up for a but we were taking our friend from Germany and it was his first game ever so we were really busy with him the whole time, explaining rules, showing him the park etc. But I had been thinking that we seem to have a lot of Phils fans on the boards here, maybe we could do a little meet sometime at the park this season. We have season ticket plan D and are always picking up games here and there.

I was choked up pretty much from the start of the memorial. I walked by the casket and kissed my hand and placed it there for a few seconds, and fought back tears all the way to my seat. The Phillies were great with letting everyone take as much time as they needed. Even though it turned out we didn't need to get there so early, it was a bonding experience with other fans. I helped a panicked old man find his friend in the crowd, talked with the people behind me. They played various montages of Harry Stuff throughout the morning and people would cheer for the calls as if it had just happened. As I mentioned there was free food and drink. The programs they gave out to the fans were nicely done.

I have such a hard time dealing with this... I was listening to Sid Mark this morning for Sundays with Sinatra and towards the end of the show he played an interview with Harry when he guested on his show and it was so nice to hear his voice. Then on the Phils pregame show Scott Palmer had his last interview with him, and he asked a very poignant question- Do you know and understand how beloved you are by this city and the fans. And I just started tearing up again. I tell you what, it's great to hear the "That Ball's Outta Here" call at the stadium and yell along with it. I don't think I like "High Hopes" replacing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" but I'd like to see them keep it in another part of the game, maybe top or middle of the 8th?

And as far as my letter, I fixed my errors, printed it out, and put it in a sheet protector and left it at the statue. I did take out the big dig at Chris Wheeler, though, just in case someone from the family reads it. Didn't want to be un-Harry-like.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, my pictures are not uploading (I know as a moderator that I should be able to upload attachments). I'll try and upload them to a site and post a link later.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

You can send them to me if you want, Christine. I can probably get them to go.

Maryanne, how's about this ... we pick a date, get as many of us together for a game as possible, and spend a few minutes at the Harry Memorial together? Maybe hoist a couple in his honor to a rousing chorus of High Hopes?
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan, maybe we could make a new thread so it's not hidden in here. My next games are Apr 28 (Charlie Manuel Bobble Head) and then May 2nd, which is a Sat afternoon game against the Mets. Weekends would probably work best.

Here is my album of pictures both from Friday night's game and the memorial on Sat. I put them on facebook, it said this is supposed to be a public link for people who aren't on facebook. If it doesn't work, let me know.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=6339b4c46b
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, got a picture to load. Had to take away some of the sharpness to make the file not so large. This a shot from one angle, but the memorial at Schmitty's statue is very large. It is very similar to the pictures I have seen from when Jack Buck died of the memorial outside old Busch stadium to give people outside of Philadelphia a frame of reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like to go to the Charlie bobblehead game ... might have to see if I can scrape up some tickets.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Great picture Christine. I wonder how long they will leave everything up. Obviously the flowers will start to wilt eventually...
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I am still not over this. Stupid rain-out. Caused Comcast to replay the memorial service which of course I watched. I just cannot get the image of the players loading his casket into the hearse to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" out of my mind. Geez, Harry. I love ya' man, but did you have to pick such a sad song?

Something I didn't realize at the time, was that the memorial at CBP was in fact Harry's funeral service. When the hearse left the stadium, the family went directly to Laurel Hill Cemetery for internment.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I hate you guys. I thought I was beginning to deal with Harry's passing. I had finally stopped crying. And then I found this thread and the tears came streaming back. It was so sad last night that after the game, I popped in my copy of the Memorial Service and watched that. Then the tears came streaming back.

I am not a Flyers, Sixers or even Eagles fan. I am a perfect husband from November to March. The other months, the Phillies are my true love. They are my team. I live and die with them. When I got the news in class, it was like someone punched me in my gut. I was hoping that somehow it was a mistake. And then my phone just started ringing nonstop.

My wife was home that day because she had an ultrasound scheduled. I called her and she was on the way home with my mom from the appointment. I asked her to tape the game and asked her if she heard. When she said that she didn't, she gasped when I told her. You could hear my mom in the background asking: "What's the matter?" Then there was another gasp.

You didn't have to be a baseball fan to love Harry Kalas. You needed to be human. That is it. Harry was the grandfather who put so many of us to bed so many nights. Harry was the rock that we held onto when Ricky Oteri was our starting centerfielder and Alan Ashby was the starting pitcher. He was the first guy you wanted to celebrate with after every playoff game.

Harry had a lot of great calls. My favorite was the last inning against the Nationals in 2007. I would take that inning over 2008 World Champs anytime. You need to listen to it. He was one of us. He was one of the guys. He just wanted to see the Phils break their 13 year skid. And as Myers got Young to strikeout out and Kearns to flyout, the excitement in his voice is unbelievebale. Then Will Mo Pena steps in and Myers gets strike one, Harry took it to another level.He gets strike two and he takes it to another level again. He says "The fans are on their feet, I am on my feet. You know Brett wants to finish this off with a strikeout." Brett throws ball one and his voice soothes everyone to just relax it will happen.

CURVE BALL, STRUCK HIM OUT.... THE PHILLIES ARE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL..... lOOK AT THE SCENE ON THE FIELD, LOOK AT THE SCENE IN THE STANDS......

He was one of us. And that is why I think he was as loved as much as he was. He wanted to win as much as we did. And he wanted us to be part of it. He wanted us to feel like we accomplished something too. You don't get that with Jon Miller, Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, or Tim McCarver

Harry had over 9000 people pass his casket on the first beautiful Saturday Philadelphia saw in a long while. He had about half that sit there and watch as dignitaries and the Phillies' family eulogized him.

And there were not any dry tears in the house when Harry passed through his second family. I thought it was ironic who were the final pallbearers for Harry. You had Jimmy Rollins, Charlie Manuel, Jaime Moyer, Brett Myers, Ryan Howard and Milt Thompson. Milt was the representative of what Harry has said was his favorite team....1993. Charlie was the man who guided the Phillies to what was Harry's dream....a world Championship. Ryan, Brett and Jimmy helped achieve Harry's dream. Jaime grew up listening to Harry and then had the privilege of having his games called by Harry.

The last player who carried Harry and placed him into the hearse was Lou Marson. The future of the Phillies. And I took it as that the days may seem bleak now, but the days and games go on. And that the future is bright too.

Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts of Harry. I have so many more but the tears are streaming again.

Jim

ps.... I have always been a Phillies' apologist but no one can say they did anything wrong with that service. It was beauitful.
    [/COLOR]1993 Caribbean Beach SENIOR WEEK
    1998 1 Day Visit Magic Kingdom and MGM
    2002 Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2006 Port Orleans French Quarters
    2007 POP Century
    2011 POP Century for 9 days

2013 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kalas to be inducted into Wall of Fame

Kalas to be inducted into Wall of Fame
    Late Phillies broadcaster first non-player to be immortalized
    By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

Hall of Fame announcer Harry Kalas, who broadcast Phillies baseball for 39 years before his death last month, will be inducted into the team's Wall of Fame on Aug. 7 at Citizens Bank Park.
    "When we started the Wall of Fame in 1978, the intent was to honor the great players in our history," Phillies president David Montgomery said on Thursday in a news release. "We believe it is fitting to make an exception because Harry deserves to be remembered along with some of the greatest names in our history. He is indeed a Phillies icon."

During his Phillies career, Kalas broadcast 6,037 games. By comparison, Hall of Fame third baseman Mike Schmidt played in a club-record 2,404 games.

And for each of Schmidt's 548 career home runs, Kalas was there to offer up his famous call: "That ball's outta here!"

"Harry is a Wall of Famer by all means," Schmidt said in the release. "I can't wait to see his plaque in August."

Kalas was inducted into the broadcasters' wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002, when he received the Ford C. Frick Award, given to a broadcaster who has made "major contributions in baseball."

Wall of Famers who are expected to participate in the ceremonies include Robin Roberts (first inductee, 1978), Jim Bunning ('84), Steve Carlton ('89), Schmidt ('90), Dick Allen ('94), Greg Luzinski ('98), Garry Maddox (2001), Tony Taylor ('02), Bob Boone (2005) and Dallas Green (2006)-- all of which played during a Kalas broadcast.

The Wall of Fame display is part of the Memory Lane section of Ashburn Alley and is sponsored by Toyota. Ceremonies will begin at 7:05 p.m. ET, prior to the Phillies-Marlins game, and will be the start of the annual Phillies Alumni weekend.

It will mark the first time Kalas -- who died at age 73 as a result of a heart attack he suffered at Nationals Park on April 13 -- is not the emcee for the induction ceremonies
    Christine șoș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: