Quantcast Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas Dead

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas Dead

Kalas passes out, taken to hospital

Philadelphia Daily News

WASHINGTON - Legendary Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has been taken by ambulance to a Washington area hospital after he was found passed out in the press box at Nationals Park.

Team president David Montgomery said Kalas, 73, was found at about 12:30 p.m. by Rob Brooks, the Phillies' director of broadcasting. Emergency medical personnel were called and took Kalas to George Washington University Hospital.

Team president David Montgomery characterized the situation as "serious," but did not have any further information.

The Phillies' announcers were brought to the team's clubhouse at about 1 p.m., and they and the players were told about Kalas.

He missed most of spring training after undergoing surgery in early February. The team declined to provide specifics of the surgery at that time, saying only that it was a "minor medical procedure" and that there was no reason for concern. It is unknown if that is related to the current situation.

Kalas has broadcast Phillies games since 1971. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002 as the recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award. He is entering the final season of a 3-year contract that he signed in December 2006.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

He's dead. I am hysterical.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Harry Kalas dies

Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Staff Report

WASHINGTON - Legendary Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died. He was 73.

"We lost our voice today," team president David Montgomery said. "He knows the game and made a tremendous contribution to the sport and to our organization . . .

"Anybody who has played for us, it's an immediate point of connection with the club. He is the Phillies."

The Phillies were told the news at 1:20 p.m.

Montgomery described the team as "stunned."

Kalas collapsed in the press box and was was found at about 12:30 p.m. by Rob Brooks, the Phillies' director of broadcasting. Emergency medical personnel were called and took Kalas to George Washington Medical Center.

"He himself [Brooks], as I understand it, worked with him and immediately got emergency medical there," Montgomery said earlier.

The Phillies have contacted the White House and said they are not going to visit with the president tomorrow.

As of now, today's game will be played as scheduled.

Kalas missed most of spring training after undergoing surgery in early February. The team declined to provide specifics of the surgery at that time, saying only that it was a "minor medical procedure" and that there was no reason for concern. It is unknown if that is related to the current situation.

Kalas had broadcast Phillies games since 1971. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002 as the recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Sad News
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

RIP Harry Kalas

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't know what to say or do...
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

This is just unfathomable. I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss him ... which sounds absurd, because I've never met the man but it's true. I'll miss him terribly. I felt the same way when Gene Hart passed away.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. If I'm going to miss him this much, I can't imagine how much he'll be missed by his loved ones.

This just makes the Phillies championship from last season all the more meaningful ...
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Years of listening to Harry and Whitey on the radio and TV, now history.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Harry and all the Phillies Phaithful in this time of sadness.

You will be sorely missed!!

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got myself composed until the game broadcast started... Sarge wiped away a tear and I started getting choked up.. then when they showed the players and Chase Utley seemed to heave a heavy sigh I thought wow we'll never hear another great call like "Chase Utley, you are the MAN!" again. I started thinking about how no more will his dulcet tones be the narrative to our lazy summer days and the tears came back. Ian so many of us feel the same as you... all of us Phils fans...we truly lost a member of our family today.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am not a Phillies fan, I will miss the sound of Harry K.
    Growing up, I couldn't get many Red Sox games on the radio or TV so I used to listen or watch the Phils on summer nights.
    I was a big Richie Ashburn fan, and used to love the chemistry between Harry and him.

Harry will be missed for sure.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

How fitting, I think, that Harry should pass in the place he loved the most ... the announcer's booth.

The only way it could have been more appropriate was if he was at Citizen's Bank Park and surrounded with friends and loved ones.

I'm still just stunned. Stunned that I'll never hear another, "THAT BALL IS .............. OUTTA HERE!!! HOME RUN RYAN HOWARD!!!" Stunned that I'll never lie in bed on a warm summer night in July, with the window open, an evening breeze blowing the curtains, and Harry's soothing voice lulling me to sleep.

Devastating ... just devastating ...
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

How sad. I enjoyed his work for NFL Films very much. Our thoughts are with his family.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys...

My wife just went to bed after talking to me about Harry Kalas for the past hour. I was OK all day, pretty much. I was a bit choked up when I heard the news, almost lost it when I saw Sarge wipe the tear from his left eye, and had a little bit of trouble talking to my mom tonight after the Phillies pulled the game out, but for the most part I was OK. After reading Jason Stark's article tonight though, I lost it, and I couldn't hold back any longer.

If you didn't grow up in the Philadelphia area, you probably can't get what we are all going through right now. Almost every memory I have in my entire life that happened between April and September has had Harry Kalas in the background. The good times, the bad times, the wins and the losses were all paired with Harry's voice. Phillies baseball and my watching the games will never again be the same.

I am absolutely devastated tonight. I kept apologizing to my wife as I told her story after story about what Harry Kalas has meant to me in my life but she assured me each time that it was OK. She has only been a baseball fan and a Phillies fan for a few years, but she felt the impact too. I was crushed when Whitey died twelve years ago, but his passing was nothing like Harry's. Rest in Peace, Harry the K.
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Honestly, I feel a little foolish, but I spent a good portion of my drive in today fighting back tears. All of the radio stations in the city were (obviously) doing tributes to Harry and just hearing what he meant to so many people, listening to his milestone calls over the years, and thinking about how he truly was "The Voice of Summer" for an entire city for nearly 40 years ... it just got to me.

Somebody else tell me that they're as affected by this as I am. I feel like a family member (one I actually liked!!) has passed away.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Question to all my fellow Phightin' Phaithfuls... How in the world do we move on from this??? Some how, I manage to find myself even more sad today.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Ian you posted as I was still gathering my thoughts. I had trouble holding back the tears this morning as well. I just feel depressed, through and through.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I kinda somehow knew you'd be the first one to respond, Maryanne ... I also knew you'd understand ...

I don't know how we move on. I mean growing up for me it was always Harry, Merrill, Gene, and Zink and now Merrill is the last man standing.

Somehow this is really just making me feel very old and very sad ... yesterday was a horrible day because of this. I listened to the game broadcast on the way home and I have to say I really loved the way those guys handled it. The in-game tributes and little nods to Harry were very appropriate, but they still just made me feel even worse.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, I don't know where we're going to go from here either. Watching the game yesterday was completely surreal. The broadcast booth did a fantastic job but they can't talk about Harry every day for the rest of the season...it's just never going to be the same again.

Ian, I don't think you're foolish at all and I have been going through the exact same things. Harry's voice just coincides with memories from not only my life but every baseball fan's in this area. I was listening to his greatest calls this morning and remembering where I was when they happened and who I was with, and many of those people have passed away as well. It's just very, very sad.
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm not a Philly fan, where I live I have always been able to pick up Philadelphia TV and Radio. The voice of Harry Kalas is one I can remember from my earliest days. Soothing and rhythmic with the perfect touch of coarseness. He was great and will be missed.

But move forward you must. I know I thought Tom McCarthy was great the two years we had him. And doesn't Harry's son also do play-by-play?
    Jeff

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After DAK posted the info about the Jason Stark article, I had to go read it and listen/watch the related clips.

It was very hard to hold back tears. It hit me almost as hard as when my own father passed 10 years ago.

In 40+ years of rooting for the Phightin's and 4 years of Sunday Season tickets (90 - 93 - 200 Level at the Vet,) some of my fondest memories are of Harry's calls on radio and television.

My wife actually asked me, last night, if the Phils will do anything like the retired numbers for players for him. I assured her that this was a no-brainer, there WILL be a monument to "Harry the K" right along with all the retired numbers!! Hopefully, right beside Richie Ashburn!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: