Quantcast Disney's Animal Kingdom Launches "Picnic in the Park" - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    This program...if successful....would probably allow them to cut jobs (or more likely...not fill openings)
    I disagree. One of the biggest complaints I see on this board is that there are not enough choices for food at AK. I highly doubt this is going to take away much of anything from Tusker House or Flametree. The main complaint is the lack of choices. I don't know if I'll try it or not, but judging from the amount of folks here who love the idea, it may work. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a conspiracy...read my signature...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I disagree. One of the biggest complaints I see on this board is that there are not enough choices for food at AK. I highly doubt this is going to take away much of anything from Tusker House or Flametree. The main complaint is the lack of choices. I don't know if I'll try it or not, but judging from the amount of folks here who love the idea, it may work. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a conspiracy...read my signature...

Perhaps....

But even though there are complaints about lack of food options at AK....as pretty much every other park.....you don't see mobs of people trying to get food at chow time in the park.....

Lack of food choices is a problem...but i think many just leave the park and get lunch at EPCOT or MK....since about 3 or 4 hours there will do it anyway....

but your point is taken.....

Post Thanks / Like

but i think many just leave the park and get lunch at EPCOT or MK....since about 3 or 4 hours there will do it anyway....
    Well, there's part of the problem for you, also. You're obviously not a huge fan of AK. I can be there for a few hours do the big stuff and go somewhere else, but I also really enjoy spending the day and wandering. There really is a lot to see if you want to go look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) I agree.
    2) Money aside, I think this is a clever idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoofyMom09 View Post
    I know that this is probably cost cutting, but I think it is nice to have another dining option in AK. I have two children under the age of 3 and let me tell you, the idea of eating outside where I can let my kids have some breathing room is extremely appealing! I'm sure that the many families with small children who visit Disney every year will want to try out this option. Let's give it a chance and see what happens before we blast it.
    I agree too!

Wow. Who knew a picnic lunch could generate such doom and gloom?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Well, there's part of the problem for you, also. You're obviously not a huge fan of AK. I can be there for a few hours do the big stuff and go somewhere else, but I also really enjoy spending the day and wandering. There really is a lot to see if you want to go look at it.

you are mistaken

I actually am a big fan of the park.....even though it is not near complete.

I'm a bigger fan of the potential....which is huge....but i do like animal kingdom

But it is still only a half day to those who frequent WDW....

they have very limited attractions....overall less than MGM.....they have 3 shows that never change and therefore don't need to be sat through that frequently.....they have the one big animal attractions and the two delightful walking paths.....

But let's not kid....they kinda stuck themselves in the middle....

They didn't want a bunch of self serve animal exhibits....most likely because it's expensive and it wouldn't generate merchandising revenue enough for the beaners tastes....

so they threw in SOME animals and SOME rides....which would have worked out fine...

But the park was not fleshed out enough....

I'm sure we agree on this...or do you think "Camp Minnie Mickey" was intentional? (i.e. the path to nowhere)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! DH and I spent two full days there on our last trip (mainly because we were with friends who had not been there before), but we had a great time each day.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, same here. I can easily stroll through the exhibits take in a few rides, have some good food (now a nice picnic) and just enjoy the relaxing parts (between EE and Dino). As long as I completely ignore that Dinoland USA even exists, I am quite happy spending the day in AK. It's a nice step away from the usual hustle and bustle of the rest of WDW. Maybe that's why I like the idea of the Picnic in the Park. it is something different and much more slow paced and relaxing, like AK itself.
    Do i think it will present problems and challenges, of course. many people are lazy and therefore we will probably see an increase in trash from the picnics being left about. Orders will be wrong at times, late, or forgotten completely. that is just the nature of it, but I love the idea of just kicking back and doing something different, regardless of the reasoning behind it. To me that is what Animal Kingdom really in in the WDW, a little something different.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

you are mistaken

I actually am a big fan of the park.....even though it is not near complete.

I'm sure we agree on this...or do you think "Camp Minnie Mickey" was intentional? (i.e. the path to nowhere)
    Ok, I'll go with that, "not a big fan" wasn't the right statement, but you don't want to spend the whole day, so dining for you isn't really a problem. That was actually my point. Several people here like to spend the whole day, or most of it at AK and those are people who might love the picnic idea.

As far as adding to the park, I agree, I'd like to see more, too. From what I understand, Camp Minnie Mickey was somewhat a place holder for an entrance to the Beastly Kingdom, or whatever was going to go over that direction. I like the camp, but yes, I'd like to see more over there.

That's my first thought any time I see 5th gate posts. Forget that, add onto AK and DHS.

I still don't think the picnic is a terrible thing or a conspiracy, though.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Ok, I'll go with that, "not a big fan" wasn't the right statement, but you don't want to spend the whole day, so dining for you isn't really a problem. That was actually my point. Several people here like to spend the whole day, or most of it at AK and those are people who might love the picnic idea.

As far as adding to the park, I agree, I'd like to see more, too. From what I understand, Camp Minnie Mickey was somewhat a place holder for an entrance to the Beastly Kingdom, or whatever was going to go over that direction. I like the camp, but yes, I'd like to see more over there.

That's my first thought any time I see 5th gate posts. Forget that, add onto AK and DHS.

I still don't think the picnic is a terrible thing or a conspiracy, though.

I don't think it's a conspiracy....but it definitely has cost cutting potential....

As far as adding to MGM and AK being expanded to the point they should....

...sadly....I don't think they ever will be....

why would they? when mgm opened a ticket was probably in the mid 30s or so.....now it's north of 75....

Animal Kingdom was about 46 or so.....

So they just go ahead and operate them....make some reasonable profit...build something new every few years.....and that's about it....

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested I found some photos of what meals are being offered...

Tier 1

Tier 2
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I actually kind of like this idea as I do like a leisurely picnic outside but only if they are going to keep the picnic areas strictly for those ordering the picnic lunch. I'm not sure if I missed that. Will there be a CM to make sure the tables are free for picnickers? Or will we be stuck walking around with a bunch of food and nowhere to eat it?
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harlowandthemermaid View Post
    I actually kind of like this idea as I do like a leisurely picnic outside but only if they are going to keep the picnic areas strictly for those ordering the picnic lunch. I'm not sure if I missed that. Will there be a CM to make sure the tables are free for picnickers? Or will we be stuck walking around with a bunch of food and nowhere to eat it?
    My thoughts exactly. I brought that up earlier in the thread but I guess no one knows if the areas are open to everyone or just people who have purchased the lunch.

I don't really like standing in line for 30 minutes for a counter service lunch. I'm going to try it if the rest of the 17 people in our party agree
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4
    Are there tables and are they reserved for the picnic customers?
    Quote Originally Posted by harlowandthemermaid
    Will there be a CM to make sure the tables are free for picnickers? Or will we be stuck walking around with a bunch of food and nowhere to eat it?
    Initial Guest reports of the program have indicated that the picnic tables are not reserved for those using the Picnic in the Park program.

Initial Guest reports have also stated minimal to no trouble in finding an open table.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

southern Indiana - 16 hours away from paradise
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post

Tier 1

Tier 2
    Thank you for the pics!! I don't really want to get in the middle of this "debate" about the new option but I'm really excited about trying it out. I've always been taught to not judge a book by its cover so I for one will be giving this new meal option a try. It will be nice to have a different kind of counter service.
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR
    '09--Pop and BCV -- Our first trip "home"
    '08--Pop and Poly-1st P&PP
    '07--Pop Century - 1st MNSSHP
    '07--ASMu--First family trip
    Many, many trips as a child with my parents

Post Thanks / Like

Tier 1

Tier 2
    Thanks for the pics! Looks yummy!
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I will be interested in hearing from someone who has tried this. Too many speculating on the motive and reasoning. I want to know if people found this a good value, good food, how easy the process of ordering the food, picking it up, and finding a table in the picnic areas.
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

Tier 1

Tier 2
    Cool! Thanks!
    from ldc12377 Thank you for the pics!! I don't really want to get in the middle of this "debate" about the new option but I'm really excited about trying it out. I've always been taught to not judge a book by its cover so I for one will be giving this new meal option a try. It will be nice to have a different kind of counter service.
    Although I'm one of the people in the debate, I agree with you, lets just see how it works. I think it's a cool idea...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think this is a great option. The meals look like decent sizes for the price and the bag it all comes in is adorable and reusable (and fitting with the sustainability message AK often tries to push).

I can easily spend half my WDW trip at Animal Kingdom (as a biology major/zoo employee its amazingly well run with great habitat setups and has some really cool research coming out from behind the scenes most guests are very unaware of) and the picnic idea sounds great.

Being able to have a nice lunch while not being closed into a CS restaurant with a million screaming kids and tired parents midway through the day? Makes me happy
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Tier 1

Tier 2
    Another thanks from me for the pics! I think everything looks yummy. Love the bag too! I think this is definitely something we're going to try.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it people in the parks need to eat and this offering is not likely to affect AK attendence significantly. Some will still go into a TS restaurant because they are on vacation and that is what they do. Others will still order CS as they have a favorite or like the seating area for that particular CS, though the picnic might draw some from this crowd. Folks that pack a meal to carry in might be the ticket here and there lies an opportunity for profit. When we packed a meal, we still had to find a place to sit and eat and did so without any trouble that I remember. Regardless of TS, CS, picnics, or packs you will still have relatively the same number of people eating in the same number of places.

We are a group of 8 (myself, DH, DD8, DD7, twin DD's2.5, and my parents.) We would likely order the meals for 6. Depending on which tier, we are looking to pay $50-$60 for us all an entree, side, dessert, and bottled water. That breaks down to about as cheap as one can get in the park and BONUS: it isn't a burger, chicken strips, and fries! We can eat this meal on the healthier side, save money, and not worry about the food bag staying cool. Can you tell I am excited?

Where the difference will be is for the company. They are gaining our food business with this option for sure. It tops PB&J, it tops trying to keep cold foods cold, and it is priced fairly reasonable (by theme park standards.) If they draw some from the CS crowd, my guess is that it won't be huge Likely, those employees will be transferred over to the picnic prep team. I do not see it as a loss of more jobs, rather a smart move. If they did it at other parks I know we would plan on it daily.

All this said, we only travel between Sept and the end of May to avoid peak heat. We live too far north to go enjoy a vacation in heat like that. Sometimes the first of Sept or last of May pushes us beyond what we can handle.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: