Quantcast What downsides when you pulled your kids out of school? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I really appreciate all the great advice and input! It helps with the decision making and we will definitely make sure we have alot of communication with the principle and his teacher. And I like the idea of going around Christmastime (week before). I agree that there probably isn't a whole lot they put on the kids' plates during this time. Or maybe even really early May, right before the end of school gets out. I just know we are limited once he gets into Jr. High & High School. If he needs extra "guidance" with his work and learning, this will really be difficult for him to take him out of school. I hate to be selfish in pulling him out of school to hit a "quieter" time of year, but for the money and the experience, I really want all of us to ENJOY it!! We went many many many years ago (before he was born) in the summertime - holy cow - never again! Regardless - thank you for the great input!!! It helps to know the best way to navigate everything.....and I want these memories!!! :-)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in 10th grade (10 million years ago) my parents too me out of school for 6 days for a cruise, and some time in Disney, while I loved the trip, it was really hard to get back into the swing of things. I was a good student, but missing out on the classroom portion of my lessions really hurt me. My best advice is to see how your son is feeling in school at the end of this year, since things only get more difficult as kids get older. If he's keeping up and adjusting well, I wouldn't see any problem pulling him for a week of WDW fun!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

we have pulled our kids out of school for the past 4 years and are pulling them out again at the end of may - dd8 has missed only 1 day this year due to illness and ds15 has not missed any days - we always try to pick a week with at least one day of that week an already planned day off - not hard to find - do you know how many teacher workday mondays there are in a year - a ton! i don't think there is one month out of the year without a monday off for something or a 1/2 day for something else - anyway we have yet to run into a teacher who hasn't been helpful in getting the kids work together and we always make sure it gets done and turned in the day we get back - kids are only kids once so we're going to disney
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

And when the kids are in middle school and especially high school; it is harder to take them out if they play a sport. DS#1 played baseball and DS#2 played lacrosse when we lived in Virginia. So we went 2 times during Thanksgiving week. When we moved to NY 3 years ago, DS#1 was in college and DS#2 played soccer (no lacrosse at present school), basketball and ran track. No Disney as he was in sports all year. Last October we went to Disney as DS#2 is in college and DS#3 plays basketball (winter sport). Next year it will be difficult to go as DS#3 will be a senior and DD12 will be in 7th grade and will play modified soccer, basketball and softball -- a sport every season. So we're not sure now when we'll get back to the world. So much easier to go when they were younger.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I took dd out of school in 1st grade in december and regretted it because that is just when the kids have gotten into their "groove" for the year. then she ended up missing a whole week in jan/feb due to the flu. I swore I would never do it again...but....

I decided to go the week before the last week of school (6/13-6/20). I looked on the school calendar and 6/15 is the last day of the marking period...the last 2 weeks of school are a joke- she can't get any more grades, it's just parties, etc. I feel ok about it and her teacher's response was "can I come too". It not only saved us about $800, but the crowds and heat will be more manageable.

of course....now I have guilt because she had perfect attendance in 2nd grade and now in 3rd grade so far....but that's another story!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
    We always go in the middle of Oct.
    I take my older son out of school for 8 days. We did this when he was in 2nd grade ,5th grade and will be doing it again when he is in the 8th grade in 2010.

He is a straight A student so that helps. I always tell the school right away when the school year starts, and ask the teachers how close to the actual time would they like to be reminded. Usually they say 2 weeks.
    I always tell them that he will stay after or come in early either before or after our trip to make up the work. I also tell the teachers that I don't expect them to have work for us to take, because that is a lot to expect them to do on top of everthing else they do. I let them make the choice of how they want to do it.

We have been lucky because we have never had a problem yet. Usually the teachers send some work, and some have said don't worry have a great time he has NO work to make up.
    They also give him up to 8 days after returning to have all the make up done.
    We always make a point of letting the teachers know that we are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't fall behind and that all the work gets done.

We can only go in October because there is only a small window of time that my husband is not busy at his jobs.

I should also point out our oldest has Aspergers, so he learns differently too. But we have never had a problem. I should also so say I talk to the ofiice and principal too at the start of the school year so they too are aware of what our plans are.
    I say take him out and just make sure you are committed to do the extra work to ensure he doesn't fall behind.
    This exactly how we do it too. We offer to help in any way we can and let the teachers know early on. We make sure we realize it can be extra work for them and that we will do whatever is easiest for them. October is also the best time for my DH to go.
    We have never a had a problem making up work. The only problem we have had is youngest DD getting sick right after we got back and missing another week of school. Made it a bit harder.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

When my oldest DS was in 8th grade, he was not allowed to make up a test that he missed when we pulled him out for a WDW trip because family vacations do not count as excused absences in our school district. The zero he had to take on the test dropped his semester grade (and subsequently his year long average) from a sure "A" to a middling "B", the only B he has ever made for a year long average. I was not happy about it, but didn't worry too much since it was middle school. However, now that he is a straight "A" student in high school, I don't think we'll do that again. Too much is riding on grades for that academic scholarship. He puts the pressure on himself and refuses to miss a test even for a trip to WDW (we have talked about it).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

"Hey teacher leave them kids alone"

P. Floyd
    1993 Disneyland 1 Day Trip
    2005 Disney World Beach Club
    2006 Disney World Boardwalk
    2007 Disney World Polynesian
    2010 Grand Floridian

Next Trip:
    Currently Being Discussed

Post Thanks / Like

Downsides include the following:
    1. Not being able to make up tests or quizzes
    2. Assignments not completed
    3. New concepts not mastered
    4. Teachers and other students jealous

Upsides include the following:
    1. Standing in line for a dolewhip instaead of a lunch line
    2. Togetherness with family
    3. Rides instead of classes
    4. No homework
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

In our district if your pull your kids out of school they are not allowed to make up anything. No makeup tests and no homework assignments allowed, period, end of discussion.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be pulling out our DD this September from her 3rd grade class for a week. We've done it the last two years without any ill effects (other than a nasty letter from the school district) to her grades or learning. While we would prefer to do our trips when she would not miss school, the unfortunate reality is that with hotel, park tickets and airfare for four of us, it is only financially feasible with a big promotion (like free dining).

We won't be able to do it much longer, but we feel our family time is too important to pass up now.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

When the kids were younger we took them to WDW every January. But once they hit middle school we stopped as it got more complicated. Then we had 5 or 6 teachers to deal with rather than 1. And the district changed it's policies. The days off were marked as "Illegal Absences" and teachers were prohibited from giving homework in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

We always used to take our kids out of school for Disney, then this year we went during spring break and didn't enjoy our trip nearly as much as we usually do just because of the crowds at the parks, so needless to say the next trip we will be pulling the kids out of school. Yes, I'm sure there will be consequences but we'll have to leave with that. All of our kids are straight A-B kids so I think they'll be fine.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it depends on your school. My dd's school is really tough on pulling kids out of school for any trip. My husband is from South Africa his family still lives there we decided to take the girls to see all their aunts and uncles, cousins and grandma. My older one (at the time 11) had not been there for 10 years! My youngest had never been there. It was a once in a lifetime trip they would miss 5 full days and 2 1/2 days before Christmas. Well, the principal did not care that they would be going to be with family whom they have never really seen before. She didn't care that they would experience life in another country on the other side of the world. They both learned so much. They refused to give out homework before the trip. One teacher 'cheated' and helped us out and mailed the assignments to us. But I was really ticked off. To top it off my older dd still made the honor roll that marking period. The problem though is that for the rest of year I have to remind my older daughter that she can NOT miss many more days. Not because she would not be able to catch up but because the school has this magic number of 15 days allowed. I think they have a stupid policy. I would still do it again though. Seeing my girls bound with their cousins was priceless. Spending time with my inlaws was more than worth the hassles. We are going away to WDW in June and I'm pulling my older dd out on her last day of school. I don't care what they say. That day is a complete waste anyhow. THey only go in for 2 hours.
    Princess 1 - 19yo
    Princess 2 - 12 yo (my baby is growing up)
    Poor Dad is out numbered! Even our dog is a female!
    Missing my happy place so much.

6/09,8/07,2/02,11/99 - Poly
    prev trips - Dixie Landings & CR
    Read my trip report for August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

DS#1 is in 1st grade this year. We went to WDW in January of his kindergarten year and no grief from the teacher, but a little grief from the principal. This year, new priciipal and no grief, but LOTS of grief and homework from the teacher.

I think it depends on the school district and the administration at the school if you ask me.

The 1st grade teacher is really strict and I mean REALLY.....which is a good thing and a bad thing.

Each morning DS did a little bit of homework before we left for the parks.....I got him up with me and while I showered he ate breakfast, then while I was in the main part of the room with him he did his homework with some assistance sometimes (like when there was a new concept started). One morning I got up early to go to DTD for a special thing they had for passholders (x-mas shopping time) and my sister watched my kids (DH also was on a tour at Epcot) -- that one morning he did not do any homework b/c my sister thought that it was just "nasty" that he "HAD" to do work while on vacation. I tried to explain to her that going on vacation during the school year is a priviledge and in order for that to be able to happen we had to make some sacrifices -- a little bit of work each morning was not killing DS and that was the sacrifice we had to pay. My sisters older daughter had no homework to do while on vacation nor did she make any up when she got home (I was told that).

Yes, I think that Disney CAN be educational to a certain extent and we use that in our letter to the school -- heck this year when I picked DS up before our flight the principal came out of his office to wish us well and tell us to enjoy our time! When I asked him if he was onboard with this, he was excited that we had the opportunity to go! He said "Sure Disney is educational -- and fun."

So I think it depends on your family perspective to learning and the school you are in. Do I think it's going to get harder -- most definitely. Are we going to be able to continue to do go every year during school -- I'm not sure, it is dependent on our kids. I tell DS that he needs to work hard and pay attention in school and he does for the most part, but he's a kid and sometimes they have to let go just like adults let loose every once in a while.

We not only like going during off times, that is when we as a family can get away most of the time. DH is military and also works construction. Summer is just not in the cards for us, that is DH's busy season. So if we want a FAMILY vacation we have to go during the school year. Yeah, I've taken DS#1 by myself (prior to DS#2's birth), but we miss DH and I'm sure he misses us too. I'm sure there will be times we'll be apart in the future, but we try to stick together as much as possible. As someone said, family time is important!

You just have to weigh all the options and decide what is best for your family.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HJL413 View Post
    "Hey teacher leave them kids alone"

P. Floyd
    Let me add this to your thoughts...with my apologies to Alice Cooper

No more pencils
    No more books
    No more teacher's dirty looks

Out for Disney
    Out for Walt
    We might not go back at all

Schools out for disney
    Schools out for vacation
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

A teacher's perspective:
    As kids get older and have more and more subjects, it becomes more difficult and less practical to pull them out for an entire week. However as long as you know what is being missed and your kids are hards workers, it shouldn't be a problem. I had 3 students miss a week of school this year for Disney, one in 6th, one in 7th, one in 8th. The one in 6th didn't miss much and ended up being ok. The one in 7th brought work with her and completed it all. The one in 8th asked for work, but I'm convinced he brought none. He fell way behind and his grades definitely suffered.

Overall when this topic comes up, I am of the "Go for it! Family is important! You only live once!" mindset, but I also think that you need to be realistic. Good luck!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

You all have been wonderful. Thank you so much for you advice and your experiences. I totally agree that each student/school/ etc... plays a big part of things. My son is going to be going into 4th grade next Fall, and I just feel like this is probably "it" for him as far as pulling him out of school. I just do not believe he will be the type of student that is going to do well with missing a lot of school. My older son wouldn't have been a problem no matter what grade he was in, but our younger one is an entirely different student. Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like

Downsides for pulling your kids from school to visit DisneyWorld?

NONE!

We did this in 1994. It was shortly after my in-laws passed away. We were all so stressed out we could barely think clearly, especially my beloved wife.

We arranged it with their teachers and had all their school work that they were going to miss in a binder for them. They had most of that done during the car ride from home to Florida.

At the time, it was the best thing we could have done. We really needed time to decompress after the heck we had been through over the previous year.

In retrospect I would not hesitate to do it again. That month in Florida was probably the best thing we could have done for ourselves and for them. If only the kids were eight and six again....
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 04-08-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: TOS
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: