Quantcast Nervous About Taking 1st Cruise, Sell Me On It

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Nervous About Taking 1st Cruise, Sell Me On It

My family and I are planning our yearly December trip to Disney and are considering taking a 3 day carribean Disney cruise also, before we go to the parks. This would be our first cruise, I am nervous though about going on a cruise. I am not a boat person and have some reservations about being surrounded by nothing but water as far as the eye can see. I have been on a large ferry before and was very seasick. And I have this thing about being surrounded by water for a long time. I am not a swimmer and I guess that is part of what scares me. Plus I am the type the gets nervous about "what if....What if I need to leave... What if someone gets sick...." I know plenty of people who have loved every cruise they have ever been on. And they say you can't even tell you are on a moving ship. I have always wanted to see the carribean and castaway key. And my family really wants to go on a Disney cruise while in Orlando.
    Originally I have always said "you couldn't pay me to take a cruise" But I have been considering a Disney cruise because of my love for Disney.
    I wonder if my "Disney Obsession" is enough to overcome my other fears/worries. Has anyone else ever had these similar concerns/fears?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We took our first cruise last summer and loved it! It's true what you've heard, you really cannot tell you are on a moving ship; it is very smooth. Mt big worry was about it being too crowded, but even that turned out to be nothing. There were times we were on deck and there were absolutely no other people within sight. There's plenty to do on board, so I say go for it!
    Disneyland 91
    Caribbean Beach 02
    Aulani 23
    ASMu 03
    ASSp 04 05 06 07 15 16 17
    Boardwalk 22
    POP 04 05 06 08 09 10 11 13 14 15 20 21 22
    Kidani Village 18
    Grand Floridian 18
    Polynesian 19 23
    Saratoga Springs 20
    Old Key West 20
    Wonder 08 10 12 17 18 19
    Magic 22
    Dream 13
    Fantasy 15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hang on!!!!

A 3 Day trip would be perfect for you to get your feet wet (so to speak) and how could you do it better than Disney? I tell you that my daughter gets motion sick on long car trips and we took a 7 day cruise to Western Carribean and she only got a bit queasy ONCE. We brought Bonine along and we had NO problems once she took it. Try to get lower deck, mid ship to help with the rocking.

I also have a "What if" brain and can tell you my feelings of "being safe" are above and beyond at any Disney location than any other vacation we've been on. I've been to resorts at Cancun, Curacao, and a Princess cruise ship. I would be more nervous at our resort in Cancun than on any Disney property. There's a medical staff on site at all times on the Magic and Wonder. They are triple-prepared for anything there. I couldn't say that about Cancun.

My husband suffered from a stomach illness while at a resort in Cancun and ever since then, he makes sure we get a script for Cipro before any trip overseas.

So, bring your Bonine for possible sea-sickness and then relax. You don't have to get a room with a view of ocean ocean ocean. Inside staterooms are great. Castaway Cay is excellent and you'll have a great time. There's so much to keep you entertained (unlike the Princess cruise I was on) you'll forget you're on a ship.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

My husband has always been dead set against cruising. He thought it would be so boring seeing nothing but water and he has suffered sea sickness on smaller boats. Well, I was planning our usual family trip to WDW and he announced that I could pick anything except for the parks. He wanted something relaxing and I think at that point, we were on our 3rd trip to WDW in less than 18 months. So... I booked a 3 night Disney cruise instead.

It ended up being perfect. It was our first cruise and the kids and I were able to feed our Disney obsession, while my husband got comfortable with this new type of vacation. He loved it and we booked a 2nd, longer cruise.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Everyone. I am trying to get comfortable with the idea. I'm sure everything will be fine and safe. It's just my over active imagination I have to overcome. I just got off the phone with my 12yrold niece and I told her we were probably going on a Disney cruise, And she said "I hate cruises' Now mind you she has never even been on a boat so she doesn't really have anything to base the "hate" on lol. Then I told her Disney had a private island with the "flying dutchman" boat there that you could see. And she's so excited now. Now she can't wait to go! lol. Kids *rolls eyes*

I figured as long as I can bring pills for sea sickness and go to a lot of their Disney shows. And have a room with a veranda so I don't feel claustrophobic I should be okay. I'm about 85% okay with the idea of a Disney cruise.

(now about the other 15% of me )

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

You sound exactly like DW did before she took her first cruise at the beginning of this month.

Let me put it this way ... we're now in the process of planning our next cruise ... and our third cruise ...

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are set! Just my two cents:
    I get very sea sick - ferries and deep sea fishing I spent most of my time in the bathroom. I have tried another commerical cruise line 5 years ago and was very nervous - which I think makes it worse. I tried my first 7 day Disney cruise in February 2008 and I was very surprised how easy it was! Yes, you can feel the boat moving, but we stayed busy the entire time (there's TONS to do) and over time you become accustomed to the subtle rocking. We just got back from another 7 day disney cruise last month. The worst rocking was going around Cuba, but still it was manageable and I didn't see anyone negatively impacted (sometimes you'll see them during visits to restrooms). Not once did I feel sea sick. Yes, bring Bonine or Dramamine in case. They can help.

My advice:

Get a deluxe interior stateroom. The less windows, the better. We found while eating at Parrat Cay (we sat right next to the window) that shutting the blinds so we cannot see the ocean going by, helped a lot. DD was feeling woozy there.

Also, during both trips, we stayed on the 1st floor. This minimizes the rocking motion as you are low.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your first cruise. It is like being at the World, minus all the rides, but all the food and activities included. It is a unique experience that Disney does well!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

My advice:

Get a deluxe interior stateroom. The less windows, the better. We found while eating at Parrat Cay (we sat right next to the window) that shutting the blinds so we cannot see the ocean going by, helped a lot. DD was feeling woozy there.

That is so interesting!!!! I never looked at it that way! I got a verandah stateroom and I was really seasick (especially, going into bahamian waters from florida) Maybe next time I will do a room with no view to see if that helps!!!! Thank you
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

Post Thanks / Like

Most travel agents will tell you to get an inside cabin in the middle of the ship as close to the water line as possible to minimize the motion you might feel.
    I wasn't sure if I'd like cruising so the first time I went I did a 3 night. I loved it and was hooked! I like having a window so I can tell what time of day or night it is (sort of). But I don't necessarily want to spend the extra money if I don't have it.
    Also, if the medication you bring doesn't help if you are feeling sick, go to the ships doctor and they can give you a shot that should hopefully have you feeling better in about 10 minutes. At least that's what the ships doctor said on the Travel Channel last night.
    And if, God forbid, anything was to happen to the ship, they can get help to you in no time!
    I really think you'll enjoy it.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    Also, if the medication you bring doesn't help if you are feeling sick, go to the ships doctor and they can give you a shot that should hopefully have you feeling better in about 10 minutes. At least that's what the ships doctor said on the Travel Channel last night.
    Yeah, it's actually recommended that you take medication like Bonine or Dramamine before you even start feeling sick, otherwise they can take a while to kick in. Usually meaning you'll miss dinner the first night of the cruise . Unless you know you suffer from sea sickness, I'm not sure how many people would take medication unnecessarily. The shot sounds like a great option if it does happen to sneak up on you.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I felt the same way .... but, I loved it!!!

I went on a 7 day Disney World trip last January 4 of those days were on the Disney Cruise - I wasn't that crazy about the cruise Idea either and I am a swimmer - I can just imagine how you feel.

I did love the cruise so very much, for one thig you aren't always "stuck" on the cruise ship there are days when you are at port - take advantage of that, it will give you the break you need from being out on the water.

Also keep in mind there is so much to do on the ship and a huge protion of it has nothing to do with water and you're inside. My mom and I went to an art show, that was really fun and you almost forget your on a ship.

I really think you will enjoy it - One more thing I almost forgot to tell you there is a Dr.s office on the ship as well and they are very good about taking care of those quizzy feelings.

Have a great time & report back...

Abee
    Polynesian & DCL - 1st trip Jan 3rd '08 ºOº
    Many Trips to Disneyland Resort ºOº

Even if you're on the right track - you'll get run over if you just sit there!!
    - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to discourage you but the only cruise I have been on was DCL for my 30th Bday. I hated everything except Castaway Cay. My first night, my actual Bday dinner, was horrible. I felt like my brain was sloshing back and forth in my head. I had taken Bonine before getting on the ship but it didn't help. Other than the few hours at Castaway Cay I was close to tears and wishing I was in WDW the entire time. After returning home I still felt like everything was moving for a couple of days. I work in a small building on top of a hill and I felt like the building was going to tip over and roll down the hill. I'm trying to convince myself to give it another try but I don't know if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Yeah, it's actually recommended that you take medication like Bonine or Dramamine before you even start feeling sick, otherwise they can take a while to kick in.
    Be careful - these drugs can make you feel drowsy. When I take them, I usually fall asleep within a half an hour (even the "non-drowsy" Dramamine). If you are like me, taking them before feeling sick will be counterproductive. I take them upon the first sign things are going south and then go to bed - where I'd end up anyway.
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoLVT View Post
    I don't want to discourage you but the only cruise I have been on was DCL for my 30th Bday. I hated everything except Castaway Cay. My first night, my actual Bday dinner, was horrible. I felt like my brain was sloshing back and forth in my head. I had taken Bonine before getting on the ship but it didn't help. Other than the few hours at Castaway Cay I was close to tears and wishing I was in WDW the entire time. After returning home I still felt like everything was moving for a couple of days. I work in a small building on top of a hill and I felt like the building was going to tip over and roll down the hill. I'm trying to convince myself to give it another try but I don't know if I can.
    I am so sorry you had a bad experience. Yes, this can happen, so have a plan. The advice above about having over the counter meds available as well as utilizing the doctor are a must for first time cruisers. I am sure the experience above is not common, but you have to prepare for the worst.
    - Elastigirl

Bluewater Beach, Wyevale, Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

We did our first cruise in January. I'm the one who gets motion sickness and my DH was the one who didn't want to go. I started feeling the movement at dinner the first night so I took gravol regularly through out the trip and was fine. We had a veranda room on deck six in the middle of the ship and the only time I really felt the movement was the last night we the seas where rough. You don't have to worry about seeng nothing but ocean as the ship is at sea at night so you don't really see miles of ocean. Not only that but the Florida coast isn't that far off and on the second night you're only sailing 4 miles from Nassua to Castaway Clay. You can see the light at night all around you. When at port at Castaway Clay you can see Nassua in the distance. You don't really see just miles of oacean at anytime as you can usully see lights from the coast in the distance. Go and enjoy yourself, we certainly did and can't wait to go again.
    Donna T
    Fall/2015 - ?,
    2/2011 - ASM
    1/2010 - CBR
    1/2009 - AKL, Cruise, Poly.
    12/2007 - DL
    10/2006 - POR,
    12/2005 - AKL,
    1&12/2004 - CBR,
    Many others
    Sept. 1981 - Disneyland Hotel Honeymoon,

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to do a Disney Cruise but did go on a 7 day Princess cruise a few years ago with family. I really did not enjoy it at all - I get seasick as well and tried my best to prepare ahead of time with the wristband and medicine. The first three days I felt so sick I could barely go anywhere. I ended up having to go to the ship's doctor for a shot which ended up costing us lots of $$$. After the shot I felt better but still not completely myself. I never got to enjoy the pool or onboard show because it was SO rough (IMO even though others said they could barely feel a thing).

All of that being said, I would consider going on a 3 day Disney Cruise. I LOVE Disney and I think I would enjoy a disney cruise much more than the Princess cruise. Also, I would go to my doctor ahead of time and ask him to prescribe something specifically for motion sickness instead of taking over-the-counter medicines.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternative Meds

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Travel View Post
    Be careful - these drugs can make you feel drowsy. When I take them, I usually fall asleep within a half an hour (even the "non-drowsy" Dramamine). If you are like me, taking them before feeling sick will be counterproductive. I take them upon the first sign things are going south and then go to bed - where I'd end up anyway.
    I've been on 3 cruises,,,a 3 nighter during the 1990s on Big Red (Warner Bros)...and 2 of the 7 night Disney cruises (both Eastern and Western Caribbean).

The wife has had problems with motion at times (both on ships and while flying) and has found that Ginger Root works better than some of the meds that might leave you feeling drowsy. She takes it before boarding and about every four hours as necessary. It's a dietary supplement available over the counter wthout side effects and if you don't want to take meds unnecessarily, it could be a good alternative.

Another thing we have learned...when feeling queasy...if you look out toward the horizon you tend to be less aware of the ship's motion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for helping "sell me" But it looks like the cruise isn't going to work out this year. I have decided to take my two niece's so I will be sticking to just going to wdw to save on money. I was ready to go, But my plans have changed. Thanks for the help though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
    I have yet to do a Disney Cruise but did go on a 7 day Princess cruise a few years ago with family. I really did not enjoy it at all - I get seasick as well and tried my best to prepare ahead of time with the wristband and medicine. The first three days I felt so sick I could barely go anywhere. I ended up having to go to the ship's doctor for a shot which ended up costing us lots of $$$. After the shot I felt better but still not completely myself. I never got to enjoy the pool or onboard show because it was SO rough (IMO even though others said they could barely feel a thing).

All of that being said, I would consider going on a 3 day Disney Cruise. I LOVE Disney and I think I would enjoy a disney cruise much more than the Princess cruise. Also, I would go to my doctor ahead of time and ask him to prescribe something specifically for motion sickness instead of taking over-the-counter medicines.
    You would want to ask for the transdermal scopolamine [sic?] patch that you wear behind your ear and are good for 3 days. I've heard that people have had good success with it.
    May '14 -- OKW 1 bdrm
    Dec '13 -- OKW + Off site
    Mar '13 -- Saratoga Springs
    Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7Nt EC
    June '11 --BLT for SWW, July '11 -- OKW
    Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nt EC/5 nights POFQ
    DVC @ BLT Dec 2010 Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: