Quantcast Disney College Program

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Disney College Program

I'm a junior in college right now and I need to do my internship. I have been dreaming about doing the college program at Walt Disney World my whole life. I've already watched the e-presentation and read through the website. Is there anyone who did it that can tell me more about it?

Thanks!
    Michelle

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey!!

Hey how are you? I did the CP during 2001, it was the best time of my life. It really is a good program, I took two classes while I was down there and the college that I was attending gave me credit for being there as well. I got to work at Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe in the MK. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I can help you network with a few of us that have either been there done it, or are still presently there. I wish you well and lots of along your journey!!

Post Thanks / Like

Michelle,

I did the program as a Junior in Fall 07. I was finishing this time last year. Let's just say that was a sad time :-( I didn't want to leave!

I was a monorail pilot, and it was definitely one of the best times of my life. I met friends from all over the country that I still keep in touch with.

Hopefully Joanna and Jessica come along to give their There are a number of CP alumni on these boards. I'm pretty sure you won't hear anything negative from any of us!

What else would you like to know? Anything specific?
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

I will be doing the CP during the spring as Main Entrance Operations and I am very excited!

When do you plan to do the program? In the spring or the fall?

My college doesn't give credit for the program however I know that when I change colleges next year I will look for one that does accept the credits since I know they will send your transcripts. I am however going to take a business internship class that will give me some credit which is good.

Let us know what questions we have I know somebody will be able to answer them for you!
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to do it next fall. I wish they still did it during the summer. One of my major concerns is missing an entire semester of credits, but I talked to my advisor and he said that I could use some of the credits I earn from the internship to cover the classes I'll be missing. I'm just worried I'll miss a semester and not graduate on time. It would be totally worth it, but with the economy the way it is, I'd hate to do that to my parents.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for being so open to questions. I have a ton.

First off, this is kind of a random question, but if I do the internship from august to january, will I miss Christmas with my family?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Michelle. I've done the CP myself (4 times), and it is such a great experience! I can't wait to go back (I will be applying for Fall 2009). The roles I have done are merchandise, custodial, QSFB, and character attendant (twice).

Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaCalling View Post
    Thanks to everyone for being so open to questions. I have a ton.

First off, this is kind of a random question, but if I do the internship from august to january, will I miss Christmas with my family?
    Yes. It is very rare for CPs to get Christmas off, and most likely you will be working it. And most likely you also will be working 6 days that week.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. That's what I expected. Thanks for letting me know. I guess that year we'll just have Christmas in July!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

They could always come visit you. We get amazing deals during that time, usually 60% off rooms, plus the free tickets and passes, plus 50% off merch, 50% off restaurants (with the coupons given to us).

I only did 1 CP, but I became a regular CM right afterwards since I used my CP to be my transition to UCF here in Orlando. I've posted a list a few times about the pros and cons of the CP. The link to it is here.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my family came to visit me at WDW for Christmas last year. It was one of the best times we ever had.

CPs like to hook each other up. By the end of your program, you'll have met A LOT of CMs from all over the property. If your family comes, you're likely to get them some perks (aside from the deep, deep discounts). This comes from your friends and even casual acquaintances ("Hey, you're my neighbor!" or "Hey, I think you know my friend X")

In my case, it was "special" fast passes to many rides, VIP room at Cali Grill, special seating at Fantasmic, etc. Never asked for anything, but CPs are happy to help each other out. It was a really wonderful time.

Needless to say, my family was very impressed!
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the list. It was really helpful. I have a few more questions if anyone would like to answer them.I was wondering if anyone could explain the process by which you applied and were accepted. What did you do first? Do you know anything about the audition process for character actors? I'm a nervous wreck about this and I don't want to miss any sort of deadline. Also, is there a minimum GPA requirement, and do they make a lot of assessment based on grades?

Thanks again,
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the list. It was really helpful. I have a few more questions if anyone would like to answer them.I was wondering if anyone could explain the process by which you applied and were accepted. What did you do first? Do you know anything about the audition process for character actors? I'm a nervous wreck about this and I don't want to miss any sort of deadline. Also, is there a minimum GPA requirement, and do they make a lot of assessment based on grades?

Thanks again,
    Michelle
    The process is pretty easy. You can apply one of two ways. You can either attend one of the school presentations, or you can apply online. If you do the school presentation, you fill out the application online and bring it with you. After the presentation, one of two things will happen: the recruiter will help you set up a phone interview (this is the most likely option, as 99% of interviews are done over the phone, live presentation or not), or there may be a chance for a live interview (but this is not too likely). If you do the online presentation, after watching the presentation there will be info for mailing in your stuff and calling for an interview. The interview itself isn't too bad. The recruiters are really nice. Just remember to relax, be honest with your answers, and smile (they can tell, even over the phone). If you plan on auditioning, just make sure to mark down the role of performer and discuss it with the recruiter during the interview. They will tell you more info. The auditions usually take place a couple of months into the season (for example- when I applied for Fall 2006, the auditions were in late March/early and mid April. Mine was March 30. The season started the first week of Feb). As for GPA, it can vary by school. But usually it's at least a 2.0 GPA. You just have to be in good standing with your school.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

The application process is very easy. I decided to do the online presentation because the presentation at my school was not until the middle of November and I didn't want to wait that long to find out if I had been accepted. So I did the online presentation and Interview over the phone. The Interview was pretty easy the recruiter was very nice and helpful with the questions I had. After the interview I sent my things in and about a month later I found out I had been accepted!

I think as far as grades go it is like a 2.0 2.5 GPA around there that you need to have minimum. Also as Joanna said be in good standing in the school I guess meaning not having many disiplinary problems.

Don't worry about being nevous I was very nervous first about the Interview but during the interview it went great and as the interview went on I calmed down alot which helped. It turned out the most nervous part for me was waiting to see if I had been accepted it was a very long 4 weeks But in the end it was all worth it!
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Well, good! My GPA is high enough and I'm in good standing. I let it slip below a 3.0, and I was afraid you'd have to have a 3.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, good! My GPA is high enough and I'm in good standing. I let it slip below a 3.0, and I was afraid you'd have to have a 3.0.
    Nope. You should be fine most likely.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for those people who auditioned:
    Do they assign you a place to audition or do you go to the closest one to where you live?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for those people who auditioned:
    Do they assign you a place to audition or do you go to the closest one to where you live?
    You are not assigned a location. But people usually go to the one that's closest. I also knew people who flew to an audition that was sooner.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to put a damper on this, because I don't know a lot about it and I don't know if CP and an internship is the same thing, but I have a friend that is an intern there right now and had hoped to continue for another session as one but was told that they are doing away with the intern program after the first of the year because of cut backs in finances. They may start it again later in the year, he is hoping. He loves it. His family went down this weekend to spend Christmas with him and are super excited.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    I don't want to put a damper on this, because I don't know a lot about it and I don't know if CP and an internship is the same thing, but I have a friend that is an intern there right now and had hoped to continue for another session as one but was told that they are doing away with the intern program after the first of the year because of cut backs in finances. They may start it again later in the year, he is hoping. He loves it. His family went down this weekend to spend Christmas with him and are super excited.
    There are a few different programs but I know for a fact that the College Program isn't being put on hold as I've been accepted and everything for the spring semester. I know they have a Professional Internship but i've heard of people being accepted to that as well. Not sure what it would be that they would be doing away with?
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

All TAs are being placed on hold for the first part of the year.

The TA, or Temporary Assignment, is the Casting Calls, and the Professional Internships. All of the current TA's are being given back their old position or one of equivalent status.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they cut back the CP. Over time, I've grown to not like it as much....mostly due to a lot of the current CP's, and I really think that if Disney wants a hiring freeze.....then that should include CPs. And that is because the cost of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, orientation and everything some 2000+ new CM's every few months is more expensive than hiring the same amount of PT and FT CMs who might stay longer than that.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: