Quantcast Bringing food?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Bringing food?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bringing food?

I want to minimize how much junk/fast food I have to eat while staying on-site for a week.

Any suggestions on what food to pack?

Next Trip: [B] October2008! First time ON-SITE!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . twinkies
    . . . pop-tarts
    . . . microwave popcorn

(Three of the four basic food groups.)
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a question about that. I just read something in the Intercot DVC info section about not being allowed to pack food items in checked luggage. Does anyone know what the restrictions are? We'll be in Disney in 15 days with our DS13 who eats like a horse. In order to not go broke I was planning on packing stuff like granola bars, maybe a loaf of bread (carefully) and some peanut butter and jelly...stuff like that for when we get back to the room in the evenings after a long day in the parks.
    Por favor, mantengan se allejardo de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

We like to bring some nuts to munch on. Also the flavor packs for water bottles. I also bring a box of cheez-its. DH can't go a week without them, lol.

If you put the break in a tupperware type container it should make it okay. And think with all the food you bring, more room for treats to bring home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    . . . twinkies
    . . . pop-tarts
    . . . microwave popcorn

(Three of the four basic food groups.)
    Chocolate would represent the fourth food group.

Quote Originally Posted by javaqueen11 View Post
    I also have a question about that. I just read something in the Intercot DVC info section about not being allowed to pack food items in checked luggage. Does anyone know what the restrictions are? We'll be in Disney in 15 days with our DS13 who eats like a horse. In order to not go broke I was planning on packing stuff like granola bars, maybe a loaf of bread (carefully) and some peanut butter and jelly...stuff like that for when we get back to the room in the evenings after a long day in the parks.

You can pack food in checked bags. The restrictions are on bringing liquids & gels through security. You could bring the bread on the plane if you wanted (so it doesn't get squished) but not the peanut butter & jelly.

Check your airlines website and tsa.gov for carry on restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up My suggestion

We avoid the Magical Express, and hire a private car through MH Transprtation. They are the best!! In addition to great service you get a 30 minute grocery stop on your way to WDW from the Airport. We have never had an issue brining in bags of grocery.

My suggested items are low-fat pretzels, pop tarts, and chocolate chip granola bars.
    "We'll make a wish and do as dreamers do; and all our wishes will come true!"
    SEPt1998 - RCC - Enchantment of the Seas
    JAN2003 - WDW - ALL STAR MOVIES
    OCT2003 - RCC - Majesty of the Seas
    OCT2004 - RCC - Voyager of the Seas
    JAN'05-SEPT'07 - 4 TRIPS to POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I made raspberry oatmeal squares and banana nut muffins (froze and vacuum sealed them), pop tarts, handi-snack pretzels and cheese, raisins/craisins, granola bars, and single serve packs of peanuts. Also when we use our snack credits we would share, since there were 3 of us we would get a drink(or Dole Whip Float), fruit bowl, and a hot pretzel.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

We shipped boxes to WDW the week before our vacation and that worked wonderfully. We shipped juice boxes, trail mix, mini muffins, fruit cups, pretzels, etc.

It turned out great because we were sooooo far away from the food court at POP that it would have taken way too long to walk there for breakfast every morning. Instead the kids ate while everyone was getting ready.

$$$ saver too!!

3AMommy
    Making Memories With The Mouse!!!

6/98 = Dolphin (honeymoon)
    5/01 = All Star Movies
    2/02 = All Star Movies
    10/02 = All Star Movies
    9/08 = Pop Century
    12/10 = POR

Cast of Characters:
    Me =Tanya
    DH = Rick
    DS11 = Ashton
    DS7 = Aidan
    DD3 = Avery

Post Thanks / Like

we pack some basics, bring some on the plane and buy the perishables when we get there.

We usually bring cereal, instant mac and cheese, etc. I usually bake some muffins and bring those in our carry on in ziplock containers which I then use for breakables on the way home.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Routinely, we use Disney's Magical Express to get between the airport and our resort, and get a grocery delivery (no wasting time detouring to a grocery store for a 30 minute stop). We focus on breakfast in the room, and the occasional lunch or dinner brown-bagged into the parks. Our typical fare:

• cold cereal

• bagels

• bread

• cream cheese

• margarine

• peanut butter

• jelly

• milk

• orange juice

• fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, apples, grapes)

• packets of instant oatmeal (heat the water in the room's coffee maker!)

• low-fat yogurt

• deli-sliced American cheese

• deli-sliced turkey breast

• a prepared deli-salad or two (egg, tuna, etc.)

• cheese sticks

• and yes, some soda and junk food

We tend to bring paper/plastic plates, bowls, cups and flatware in our checked luggage ... it's light-weight, it tends to be very expensive in tourist areas, and it leaves room in the luggage on the way home for a souvenir or two. We never pack napkins ... a quick trip to your resort's food court will provide you with your napkin needs.

Post Thanks / Like

We always pack one suitcase full of food! The empty suitcase then carries our souvenears home! This works great for us!

We're not big breakfast eaters so to save time & money in the morning I pack to eat in the room:
    bagels, poptarts, granola & ceral bars & muffins. We usually put a granola bar in our packs for that morning snack in the parks!

For snacking in the parks, I pack:
    cheese/pb crackers, slim jims, granola bars, anything that doesn't melt or crush easily!

For snacking in the room:
    cheeze its, little debbies, peanuts, & left over popcorn form the parks!

We take water bottles that we fill every night & put in the fridge & refill from the fountains during the day & I also carry some of the drink packs that you can add to your bottled water just for something different!

We don't do meal plan, DS's now qualify as adults, but don't eat like adults! Lot's of times, I can easliy share a meal between both DS's& myself! I let them each pick & I get something ala carte to go with! I don't think most of the food prices in WDW are that bad, but when it's wasted it is!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney really has updated its menus, even in counter service areas and there is far less 'junk' food around. Burgers don't dominate they way they used to. Frankly, you can avoid it for the entire time if you want and the pricing is about the same. Minimizing can be as simple as ordering other items from the menus.

Also, since the OP is a Canadian, if you are flying, check the CATSA (Canadian Air Trasnport Safety Agency) site before finalizing plans. Our rules are pretty close to American but not identical, we are more rigid in some areas. Check it just before you leave because it does change.

If you are driving, check the US rules for crossing the border. There are a number of items they will not allow, expecially meat. A good idea not to take these on the plane either due to agricultural import rules.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I agree that there are plenty of healthier options at WDW and almost all the parks have one location at the least. I personally prefer Columbia Harbor House for their sandwiches, Pinocchio's Village Haus for their salads, Studio Catering Company for their wraps and salads. Pizza Planet also has salads, as does the Land Pavilion - which is predominantly healthier options.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten to be an expert on hunting out 100 calorie snacks at the store since I'm on Weight Watchers. There are a lot of great 100 calorie snacks out there in individual packs that can be carried with you to the parks and your room. I like to take to the room fruit, cereal bars, drink mixes, oatmeal, cereal. We like to use our snack or CS for items like this in the food courts and take to the room for later. But most of the TS we have eaten at do have good things on the menu you can order to keep you on track. The buffets are best for this. We usually all want a snack when we get back to the room at night but we aren't in the room that much so I don't keep a lot of food there.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC