Quantcast Bad parenting

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad parenting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad parenting

While waiting for the bus back to Pop there was this really cool frog jumping across the chains that divide the lines. As the frog was walking along one of the chains, a boy around 10-12 yrs old ran over and flipped the chain up real hard sending the frog air born. His family which consisted of 5 adults were all laughing and encouraging him. A bunch of people in line were shocked. The frog was okay because it jumped and scaled one of the poles. I would never cause a scene at Disney especially with children around but if he tried to do it again, I was definitely gonna say something to the family.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You never know what kids are going to do next so there was nothing the parents could have done at that point, but they shouldn't encourage him by laughing. I hate when people abuse animals, I really upsets me even if it is just a wild frog.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

True but when I say encouraged I mean they were actually telling him to do it then laughing about it. He seemed like a bad kid because they just let him do what he wanted without saying anything. After we got off the bus back at Pop, he was kicking the trash can, yanking on all the chains trying to pull them off the poles, then as we entered the gift shop, he spit on the outside glass. All the while the parents said nothing.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had to encounter a kid like that. I'm 24 and that bothers me a lot--always has and I think always will because my parents NEVER allowed me or my sister behave like that. I feel like witnessing something like that is one of the most frustrating, disappointing things to have to deal with at WDW. It really can put a damper on your day to see someone with such a disregard to the people and things around them---and it's even more upsetting to see that it's a child who is being taught that it's ok to be like that. Unfortunately, it's that passive way of parenting that creates difficult adults.
    8/08- Disneyland Resort (first time at DL!)
    8/06- Wilderness Lodge with family
    6/06 POP "Big Girls Trip with my sister
    ~loooong Disney Drought :(~
    2000- Dixie Landings
    1997- Dixie Landings
    1995-Dixie Landings
    1992- Dixie Landings
    numerous small trips to WDW from 89-92 OP

--Kate

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad. Hopefully it didn't have too much influence on any other kids that might have seen it. I always take opportunities like that to talk to my sons about the situation we saw and what our expectations are for them.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    True but when I say encouraged I mean they were actually telling him to do it then laughing about it. He seemed like a bad kid because they just let him do what he wanted without saying anything. After we got off the bus back at Pop, he was kicking the trash can, yanking on all the chains trying to pull them off the poles, then as we entered the gift shop, he spit on the outside glass. All the while the parents said nothing.
    NOT "seemed like a bad kid because they just let him do what he wanted" BUT "Became a bad kid because they just let him do what he wanted." Sadly, these same parents will likely wonder why their (then) teenage son gets into so much trouble and treats them with such disrespect and will likely lament "I just don't know what went worng, I mean we always tried to let him do whatever he wanted."
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    That's too bad. Hopefully it didn't have too much influence on any other kids that might have seen it. I always take opportunities like that to talk to my sons about the situation we saw and what our expectations are for them.
    Yep. I very loudly take the opportunity to explain why what we witnessed was wrong and just because some people allow their children to behave like that doesn't make it right... It usually does the trick!.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

SFTrny Guest

This is certainly one of the hardest moments to preserve the magic. The whole frog story sounds pretty clear cut, but there is such a wide variety of parenting obvious at Disney (or really any place this public). I often start to spool up when I see what I think is very poor behaviour...both on the part of kids as well as parents.

I hope that you and your family were able to get past this and enjoy your own vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw a spin on things, while I think the kid was wrong for what he did, I noticed you said:

"True but when I say encouraged I mean they were actually telling him to do it then laughing about it."

If the parents were telling him to do it (very bad parenting), perhaps it was a way to reach out and get approval? It just seems that since the parents were encouraging him, he might not have behaved poorly in the first place.

I still agree that it's bad parenting though, no matter how you spin it.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

my wife calls me a "disney cop" because i have been known in the past to not let things like what that kid was doing go without speaking up.
    while i am at my wdw i don't...
    -walk past trash on the ground.
    -allow smoking out of the areas set aside for it
    -any defacing of wdw in anyway (gum on the wall at sm)
    -i do confront unruly teenagers i stopped some spiiting on people at rnrc (that wasn't pretty)
    -anything that loses the magic while i'm on an expensive vacation ain't happining.
    i think the biggest thing being lost by todays kids is respect.i don't mean to be on a soapbox but something as special as walts world to some of us needs protecting and preserved.
    the frog thing i probably would have just grumbled under my breath hoping that family was going somewhere different than me.however spitting on the glass would have
    brought the disney cop out for sure!!
    love and respect for wdw!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
    -i do confront unruly teenagers i stopped some spiiting on people at rnrc (that wasn't pretty)
    -anything that loses the magic while i'm on an expensive vacation ain't happining.
    can i just say on behalf of a lot of people, THANK YOU for doing that. I hate it when I'm at Disney and I see teenagers acting out for one another...acting disrespectful to each other or the environment around them or worse, swearing and being obnoxious to those around them. Disney is a kid and family friendly place and to have behavior like that there has always bothered me since I was a kid. It is an uncomfortable situation but if more people spoke up, I bet that would stop a lot of them. To sum up, thanks!
    8/08- Disneyland Resort (first time at DL!)
    8/06- Wilderness Lodge with family
    6/06 POP "Big Girls Trip with my sister
    ~loooong Disney Drought :(~
    2000- Dixie Landings
    1997- Dixie Landings
    1995-Dixie Landings
    1992- Dixie Landings
    numerous small trips to WDW from 89-92 OP

--Kate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Yep. I very loudly take the opportunity to explain why what we witnessed was wrong and just because some people allow their children to behave like that doesn't make it right... It usually does the trick!.

I do this too!! I raise my volume enought ob e heard and thoroughly explain how what we just witnessed is not expected. Love it!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

That's what my 15 yr old DD would call a TOTAL LOSER! And the parents... As my daddy used to say... "that's what's wrong with kids today...no discipline and no resect for others!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of riding the bus to work a couple of days ago and listening to a mother behind me talk about how her kids were taken away from her years before due to drug use, then she went on to say that her now teenage daughter had anger issues. She then lamented that she didn't understand where the girls anger came from and that it must be the fault of Child Protective Services or the foster parents because "she didn't get it from me!"!

Some people are clueless and should just not be allowed to breed!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I can almost guarantee he is headed for jail before he reaches age 21. I have seen it many times in my profession (judge). Someone who has no respect for others (persons, property, or animals) is almost guaranteed to run afoul of the law. And I'll bet his parents will be complaining loudly about "injustice" when it happens.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate when anyone is cruel to an animal...you can only blame the parents. With kids like that (you know, the ones who kick things and are acting like a little wild animal that has been given red bull) I wish there were child straight jackets sometimes. My parents would never let me bahve like that- especially in public
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I probably would have gone over to the kid and told him what he did was mean and how would he like it of someone did that to him.

If the "parent" said anything I would have said "they you disipline him because someone has to."
    I usually refer to these kids as "society's kids" We are going to end up paying for them, they will end up on welfare or in the prison system. Either way,it's our dime
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Cruelty to animals is sociopathic behavior. They say it is the children whom are mean to animals that have deep issues that need to be confronted or it can turn them into serious trouble for society in the future. Not having compassion for life makes you incapable of having respect for it, as well. This child should have had his bare butt spanked in front of the witnesses and taken back to his hotel room for a long needed nap cause obviously he didn't get enough rest the night before to be allowed out of bed. If you stay calm and collected, yet discipline with assertiveness, your child will fear your authority and grow to respect yours and others.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, this is how a lot of violent criminals get their start by being cruel to animals....and when he's caught and on trial, that same family will be wailing and begging for leniency that was never given to the victims....parents, please think

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: