Quantcast Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a friend, a disney regular last night and she said, in june, she went to EMH and they didn't check anything, no bracelets no card, nothing. She said it seemed the park was no different than regular hours. hmmm. Sounds like they DO have a trick up their sleeve to me.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just playing catch-up here...
    I'm sure there will be problems when the "new system" is implemented, but as always in WDW, things will work themselves out.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    But see, you aren't paying for the time in the park. You're paying for a roof over you head for the night. Anything else they offer is called a perk.
    Point taken. However, Disney then needs to stop selling their rooms using this incentive as a "pitch" to their consumers. Disney advertises heavily that if you stay in one of their rooms you will have access to an EMH park every day of the week. They may pass it off as a "perk," but they sell it as a benefit for those staying on property. That's the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    And in most cases, the people off-property have to pay more than those who are on property. Disney rooms start at around $80-100 for the Value resorts. A lot of the ones off property costs anywhere from $120 and up.
    Again, I gotta disagree with you here.
    If you want "value accomodations" off property, you can go cheap - and I mean real cheap.
    If you're willing to fork over $200 a night, you can get a pretty decent sized villa pretty close to WDW. Good luck getting OKW accomodations in a 2BR for that price!
    Just so that you know, I do not stay off property - or at least I haven't in a long time - and we are DVC members to stay ON all the time.

Jessica - sorry to be argumentative! I normally find your posts full of greatly detailed information that is very helpful. I must, however, respectfully disagree with these two points you made!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Call me Pollyanna, but I'd so rather be pulling out my KTTW card to get on every ride during EMH, than to be pulling out my MetroCard to be getting on the subway for a commute into work or back home at night. Like they say... a bad day at Disney is still better than a good day at home!
    The voice of reason!!!

Folks - let's not get nuts about this. You ARE, after all, in WDW!!! And if the new system is that bad, Disney will change things!!!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Jessica, for different reasons. Really, which resorts, specifically?

Post Thanks / Like

Making a child carry their room key or handing it to them before every ride will definitely increase the number of lost room keys IMO.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    Making a child carry their room key or handing it to them before every ride will definitely increase the number of lost room keys IMO.
    I don't remember who suggested it, but the lanyard and card holder is a great idea.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

why dont they just bring back E ride nights were they only sold a certain number of tickets i liked that better then emh anyways

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I like all of the points you make, and I agree with the majority that I don't think this is a good idea. However, If a family has Key to the World cards, how can they only bring one? Wouldn't they need to bring them all to get everyone through the turnstiles???????
    Only if the tickets are on the KTTW. Many people buy thier tickets and their room separately. For example many times when I go, I buy my tickets at the Disney store, one at a time, over a 4 month period to spread the cost out a little.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    Only if the tickets are on the KTTW. Many people buy thier tickets and their room separately. For example many times when I go, I buy my tickets at the Disney store, one at a time, over a 4 month period to spread the cost out a little.
    Or if you're an annual pass holder...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the wrist band idea but I think they should make it available at the hotel you are staying at instead of at the gate. Or make some other entry type thing but you have to get it at your hotel or you don't get EMH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    I ask again, though, what do people do when they obtain fastpasses? How is that any different?

If a child isn't old enough to properly care for a KTTW, are they carrying their own park ticket and getting their own fastpasses?

And don't you have to take out a credit card, KTTW, or cash to buy things? Food? Drinks? Souveniers? To access the park when you enter?

I guess my point here is that when I go to a Disney park, I'm constantly having to take some card or another out of my pocket, and this doesn't seem any different to me. I've never lost a park ticket, credit card, or room key. Just make sure you put in securely away when you're done with it, is that really so hard? And if your child can't take care of their own, carry it for them and present it to the scanners when necessary

I generally carry a waistpack. They're so amazingly convenient. They don't get in the way on attractions, even ones with lap bars, and they can store a lot. I have one with a zippered pocket right in the front where I carry my park ticket, KTTW, and fastpasses. Unzip, use your card, put it back, zip it back up. Never had even a slight issue with losing a card, credit card, fastpass, room key, park ticket, etc.

I don't mean to sound like I'm denying that it's a bit of an inconvenience, or that someone is wrong for disliking this potential new system, but I just don't buy the fact that your KTTW is suddenly in serious jeopardy of now being lost just because you have to take it out for some rides during EMH.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    I ask again, though, what do people do when they obtain fastpasses? How is that any different?

If a child isn't old enough to properly care for a KTTW, are they carrying their own park ticket and getting their own fastpasses? .....

I don't mean to sound like I'm denying that it's a bit of an inconvenience, or that someone is wrong for disliking this potential new system, but I just don't buy the fact that your KTTW is suddenly in serious jeopardy of now being lost just because you have to take it out for some rides during EMH.
    And if the child isn't old enough Mom and Dad hold onto it until the last second. The same could be done with the KTTW. If it turns out to be a disaster, which somehow I doubt, Disney will retweak.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Disney in Feb. when they were "testing" this new system and I hated the hassle of it enough to send Disney a letter. Here are the reasons this didn't work:
    1st: We were not told about this new policy. We went around looking for the wristband lines (I've never minded standing in this line.) and even the CM's didn't seem to know what was going on.
    2nd: We had children with us so of course we kept their cards for fear of them losing them. SO we had to pull everyone's cards out for each ride and collect them once we were in line.
    3rd: We had to "show" our cards to the CM's who just barely glanced at them and as pointed out by previous posters, I could have been using a card from a previous visit and they never would have noticed. If the CM's had taken the time to carefully look over everyone's cards we would have been waiting in long lines to even get in the actual ride lines.
    4th: Different colored cards wouldn't work since people arrive on different days and stay for different amounts of time. Are they going to make us go back to the front desk to get new colored cards during our stay if they decide to switch the colors during our stay?
    5th: If Disney wants to implement this they should provide lanyards for the convience of the guests...but I guess we'll just have to buy them ourselves?!?

I would LOVE for Disney to go back to selling E-Ride Night Tickets. I didn't mind paying the extra money for those nights (I think it was $15 per person.). The parks were a lot LESS crowded than they are during EMH's.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    And if the child isn't old enough Mom and Dad hold onto it until the last second. The same could be done with the KTTW. If it turns out to be a disaster, which somehow I doubt, Disney will retweak.

How many times does the average person get a fast pass ticket during an average day? My family always has one person take everyone's cards and get the fastpasses for everyone - it's easier for us.
    With this new EMH policy each person has to show their cards for EVERY ride and when you have children with you (who could easily lose their cards) it turns into a hassle to have to pass out cards for every ride. I had to do this in February and it was a hassle.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they simply don't think that rigid enforcement of EMH is worth the extra expense of issuing wristbands.
    If they have CMs making a cursory glance at the room keys this would probably deter most, but not all, guests from taking advantage of EMH when they aren't entitled to.
    Most guests are probably honest, and for those that try to scam the system with old cards it would be quite embarrassing to be caught - like being caught taking money from the collection basket at church.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    How many times does the average person get a fast pass ticket during an average day? My family always has one person take everyone's cards and get the fastpasses for everyone - it's easier for us.
    With this new EMH policy each person has to show their cards for EVERY ride and when you have children with you (who could easily lose their cards) it turns into a hassle to have to pass out cards for every ride. I had to do this in February and it was a hassle.
    I don't know about the average guest, but I get a lot of them. Actually, I'm not surprised you had a hassle in February. Disney was testing the system and hopefully you were part of the test that made them tweak. I'm not saying this will work perfectly, I'm just saying I hope Disney has worked out the kinks, with your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Fast pass argument doesn't work because CMs take those from you before the ride. Therefore there is no need for that ticket to make it through the ride to be shown at another attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    I would LOVE for Disney to go back to selling E-Ride Night Tickets. I didn't mind paying the extra money for those nights (I think it was $15 per person.). The parks were a lot LESS crowded than they are during EMH's.
    Some of our best memories of the trips we made with our son (before the girls were born) are the E-ride nights. We would pretty much ride Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain over and over until 3 AM...and on the way out he would fall asleep on my shoulders before we got past Cinderella's Castle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Fast pass argument doesn't work because CMs take those from you before the ride. Therefore there is no need for that ticket to make it through the ride to be shown at another attraction.
    Because it's taken out and put back at a different time, it doesn't compare??! You still have to collect the cards if everyone has them to get the fastpasses and give them all back. Or, the better idea, Mom or Dad takes them all out of the pouch, shows them and puts them back. How does that not compare?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    ... and for those that try to scam the system with old cards it would be quite embarrassing to be caught ...
    What a wonderful world it would be, where people who are willing to try and scam would be embarrassed, instead of belligerent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Because it's taken out and put back at a different time, it doesn't compare??! You still have to collect the cards if everyone has them to get the fastpasses and give them all back. Or, the better idea, Mom or Dad takes them all out of the pouch, shows them and puts them back. How does that not compare?

I believe there was some confusion as to what was being compared in the fastpass argument. It's not the fastpass ticket itself that is being compared to the cards for EMH rides. It's the cards being taken out and put back to get fastpasses and cards being taken out and put back to ride during EMH. In that sense, it is comparable.
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: