Quantcast Olympics - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Who's talking now? WE ARE!

That was incredible!!! GO USA!
    Yah know, I had just been talking to my dad about how I want another "amazing" moment for US olympics. I remember watching Kerri Strug stick the landing on her vault with a sprained ankle to win gold for the US women's gymnastics team in 1996 as a young girl, and found her so inspirational. This was pretty close. My dad and I were cheering like we were at the event (I was standing and screaming "GO GO GO!" when we were catching up) and we were chanting "USA." It is always satisfying to beat a gloater, especially when they are French.

PS... for all those who appreciate the male form... my gosh, how nice did Michael Phelp's body look when he was celebrating... talk about definition!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love the Olympics

It really is great to watch the Athletes compete for their countries. I also like to watch some of the sports I would never watch except during the Olympics.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric2000 View Post
    As such I've spent most of my viewing time watching judo and badminton, two terrific sports and wishing that some of the minor sports had more coverage over longer periods. I'll be looking forward to the handball and fencing coming up too which we never see outside of the Olympics. I actually think we should have a couple more mat-combat sports beyond Judo and Taekwando - they make for good viewing and a couple slots are available after this event (due to softball/baseball being canned)

With the football starting though I can't help noticing the irony really looking forward four years - the most soccer obsessed nation in the world is hosting the Olympic games and the public doesn't give two hoots about the competition. It gets no coverage over here whatsoever.
    The Judo competitions have been great- really enjoying watching the matches as there have been some impressive performances, and some wonderful examples of technique.

Just saw an incredible match between the men's world champion Wang of South Korea against Guilerho of Brazil that went to Golden Score and was very exciting.

I would love to see Kendo added to the mix as an actively practicing Kendoka, but there's also very strong opposition to adding it with traditionalists who primarily argue it would lose the art in favor of being a competitive sport.

Also, though it's not an official olympic sport, there's a big wushu competition running concurrent to the games that the IOC has allowed in Beijing (after an unsuccessful push from the organizers to include it in the games as a demonstration sport) that I wish would get some coverage.

As for football- to me, i think it is exciting especially seeing the rising U-23 players showcased but as a result it takes a lower interest to tournaments like the World Cup because of the lack of recognized star power.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the soccer is sort of tame since the stars are not in it.
    The men's relay was very exciting. I thought we were gonners.
    The women's (can you call them women at age 16?) gymnastics will be interesting to watch. The US team really had their work cut out for them yesterday. It sure does look painful to fall off those bars onto your back.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's talking now? WE ARE!

That was incredible!!! GO USA!
    Wow... Shattering a World Record by 4 sec. That is unheard of. Of all nations to try to trash talk the USA... France?!!?!

Go USA
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

- Some silly girl has won us a gold medal in swimming. Clearly she is unaware that we are not meant to win any medals in swimming. Ever.

- The French beat us at archery. Clearly they have been practicing over the last 600 years.

- The canoeing looks like it may well be one of the most fun things in the World. I want a go.

- On the other hand who ON EARTH would want to go on those cycling marathons? - congrats to Nicole Cook, and indeed all of them.

- Surely talking smack has caused the downfall of more teams than dodgy hamstrings. The guitar-smashing comments, the US track 4*400 posers of 2004 and now this. Marvellous entertainment.

- I've just watched the tennis, and frankly am ashamed of a man representing my country. It's a shame when that happens. I actually couldn't be happier that he lost- to an opponent ranked much lower and who clearly wanted to make a name for himself at the Olympic games rather than turn up because he was told to even thoguh he wasn't being paid.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

The Olympics have been great so far. The opening ceremonies were unbelievable. We were in awe of how well choreographed they were and how well the performers did. We thought that for sure the boxes that were making the waves and symbols were mechanical so when the performers popped out we were shocked. By far the best opening cermonies I've ever saw and they will be hard to top.

I really like how NBC is covering the Olympics by showing as much as they can live. In the past most of the events were tape delayed which allowed for the media to leak the results which takes all the fun out.

Last night watching the mens swimming rely had us cheering for the USA which I haven't done for years. It was amazing to watch the come from behind and a great winafter the French talked trash.

I wasn't overly excited for the Olympics just two weeks ago but after the opening ceremonies and after just a few days of competition I'm hooked.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Great win for the USA last night. It still amazes me that athletes will talk trash about their opponents when all it does is give them something to motivate them. Being respectful yet confident does not add fuel to the fire.

I'm still a little peeved that the U.S. Men's soccer team ended up with a tie against the Netherlands. That should have been a win. Just hoping that the men's and women's teams can get golds! Keeping all my fingers crossed!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It was interesting to see one of the Chinese gymnast doing her floor exercise to the music from Ratatouille. The Chinese have been doing great in gymnastics and swimming. They look to double the total number of gold medals they've ever earned just from this Olympics.

I've also really enjoyed watching the USA swimmers and they world records they're breaking.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I was disappointed in how the US men's soccer turned out today. Maybe it's what you get when you restrict it to men under the age of 23 in such a big tournament. With two players having to sit out the game due to suspensions and having your team playing 1 man down pretty much the entire game is an ugly way to go out.

Oh well, there's always the ladies.

Post Thanks / Like

I really admire the Chinese, they are so focused and precise. Their dive girls were awesome, as were the gymnasts. The Romanians used to dominate gymnastics, they seem to have lost something. I was proud of our gym girls, they did a great job, that one girl had a broken ankle. Phelps is almost to his goal. I am disappointed no one invited Mark Spitz to the Olympics, he is one of the best of all time. The French trash-talking swimmer did so many things he shouldn't have, like looking over at the US guy in the relay, taking too many strokes and breaths in the replay that I saw, Our swimmers are so amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

So what are everyone's thoughts on the Chinese women's gymnastics team?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised they can stand and walk, they look so young!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davyjones View Post
    Great win for the USA last night. It still amazes me that athletes will talk trash about their opponents when all it does is give them something to motivate them. Being respectful yet confident does not add fuel to the fire.

I'm still a little peeved that the U.S. Men's soccer team ended up with a tie against the Netherlands. That should have been a win. Just hoping that the men's and women's teams can get golds! Keeping all my fingers crossed!
    And I'm also more peeved that the Men's soccer team is out! We should have medalled! Now let's see what the women can do!

Post Thanks / Like

Great women's individual final. Gosh, I love the Olympics!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so proud, as I know we all are, of our athletes, they show so much honor and pride. I was disgusted by that jerk throwing his medal down for whatever reason, poor sport. Phelps is absolutely amazing, his body shape must help him a lot they said, he has a long torso and short legs. Yay Nastia and Shawn, what great ladies and fellow Floridian Ryan Lochte!! Bela Karolyi is hysterical!

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching the other night with my DW and I couldn't believe how young the Chinese girls look. With all the controversy around their age I'm surprised the IOC hasn't stepped in and investigates the accusations that the girls are under age. I've read a few articles about this and they all seem to say up until last year these girls had birthdays listed that are different than their passports say. To me unless this is investigated the whole gymnastic competition in the 2008 Olympics is blemished.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Dh was telling me that when the Chinese are born, they are automatically a one year old! Guess they can tack that one on, too very unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

Huffington Post has dug up documents that back up what Jeff was talking about... up until recently, this girl was on all sorts of documents with her birthday listed as 1994, making her 14. They have traced websites that recently had her listed as "14 year old new comer" that have now been changed to "16 year old new comer."
    As far as I know there hasn't been an announcement that the IOC is looking into this... if they don't that is wrong. This isn't about the US, it's about the integrity of the games and following their own rules.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great weekend!! I enjoyed all of it! Dara Torres was fantastic and she looks awesome! And I loved the marathon lady (from Ukraine??), she was 38!! I couldn't watch Phelps' races b/c I was so nervous for him, but then how exciting when he won! I can't believe all the trash talking of those other guys, but Phelps put them in their place, haha! It really makes you proud to be an American after all of these great kids have shown the world what great people we have here. I really think these are and will go down as the best Olympics!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: