Quantcast Olympics

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Olympics

Now that the Olympics have started, are there any particular events that you plan to watch? I'll probably watch soccer, cycling, triathlon, and basketball. The track and field will catch my attention along with Michael Phelps in swimming.

I try to catch an obscure sport that I know nothing about. Havent' decided on what this year's sport will be. Maybe fencing.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Since DS8 just got his black belt in taekwondo last weekend he's anxious to watch that event. It'll be interested to see Phelps do his thing, and I always enjoy the soccer matches. I'm not sure there's much about the Olympics I don't enjoy, even if I don't care about the sport for the next 4 years.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

other than swimming, gymnastics, and track and field, most other events will be difficult to find on tv. I suggest you go deep into all your cable channels to find where some of these events will be played out. I didn't realize that I had all of those channels.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to the swimming and gymnastics. I won't really be that interested in track and field unfortunately, Marion Jones turned me off to that, I so pulled for her last time.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the venues. We watched shows on National Geographic about how they built the aquatics center and the "bird's nest" and I'm excited to see the events in those buildings!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

I will watch the football/soccer. I only need to see the results for basketball and swimming. The medal count is something I do keep an eye on.
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I just love the Olympics ... I'll watch whatever I can find. I'm very excited for tonight.

Can't wait to hear that Olympic theme blaring over my T.V. again!!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Since DS8 just got his black belt in taekwondo last weekend he's anxious to watch that event.
    First, congratulations on your DS8 accomplishment. I used to be very active in taekwondo competition when I was younger. I was very excited when it was introduced first as a demonstration sport and several times had won in sparring and forms at the US junior olympics and named to the junior national team in the early 90s and even earned an invite to the 1992 olympic team trials though I didn't go and was hoping for 1996 for my shot at making a possible olympic team with the bonus of it being held in Atlanta, when of course it wasn't added as a sport that year.

Don't expect to see any televised coverage of sports like taekwondo or judo on any of the multitude of NBC television networks (at this point with their published schedule the only coverage will be live, online broadband streaming from their website)- of course, all could change should someone from the US be part of the gold medal match.

Of course, I say that sarcastically with NBC's US versus THEM slanted coverage and long human interest stories rather than god forbid, actually showing competition in the spirit of the Olympic games. And please, please let there be no Jim Gray or someone like Melissa Stark who has no clue what sport they are covering with this year's telecast.

There's enough drama exhibited through spirited competition with representatives from all nations with their unique stories of living out their olympic dream that I want to actually watch the events (at least in some states you can always pull in the not so biased coverage from Canada).

I am somewhat surprised with taekwondo for example, since 3 of the 4 US team members are from the same family- the first trio of siblings in the same Olympic sport I believe (the Lopez family with a 4th member- the older brother serving as a team coach) and Steven Lopez is a 2-time defending Olympic gold medalist.

Post Thanks / Like

Gymnastics, swimming, diving, basketball. I love all the human interest stories that go along with the events and really personalize the athletes. I always end up watching sports that I wouldn't normally enjoy just because of the story behind it.
    It's not easy being green....

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I'm so frustrated!! Instead of checking out Intercot, I should be watching the Opening Ceremonies. I've never missed one, until now. Thanks to a glitch in my Comcast cable box, I have no reception. The soonest a technician can make a service call is Monday!!!

What makes this even worse is, I couldn't find anyone who would be able to tape the ceremonies for me. If anyone out there is watching, I'd love to hear all about it. And, if by some chance, anyone is taping it, would you be willing to share it with me? If so, let me know how I can repay you.

Thanks!!!

Now, back to all things Disney. Reading everyone's posts about my favorite place(s) in the world is putting me in a better mood.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

I always watch the Opening Ceremonies. I'm also going to try to watch the diving and the women's gymnastics.

I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies now. I've had this on my calendar for months and now I have this vicious migraine but I'm watching them anyways. I'm amazed at the precision and the technology. I especially liked the drumming at the beginning.

I will say, the children walking in (like Small World) was really cool in all their various costumes, but it was a little freaky when they made way for the soldiers (with the flag)! I found it a little jarring!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the swimming and gymnastics -- those are my favorites.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, I have them on my DVR but don't know how to share. If anyone knows, let me know and I'd be glad to send it along.

The Opening Ceremonies were AMAZING!

I'm bummed that we won't be seeing Judo televised. Found out today that someone from my firm will be competing in that sport. Wanted to cheer her on!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Opening Ceremonies were incredible, especially the drumming portion. Gave me goosebumps! I love the Olympics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, I Taped it and when I get the chance I can transfer it to DVD and mail it to you. You can PM me your address.

I just finished watching. It was indeed incredible, and as Matt Lauer said, intimidating at the same time. The sheer number of participants, the precision, what they were able to achieve... I can't imagine how much practice that took!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed the first day's competition. Sorry to hear that over there you guys only get the higher-profile sports (for some reason Brits aren't very good at swimming and being flexible, though we can row and sail) - we're really lucky to have the good old Beeb interactive coverage that features 6 sports at a time.

As such I've spent most of my viewing time watching judo and badminton, two terrific sports and wishing that some of the minor sports had more coverage over longer periods. I'll be looking forward to the handball and fencing coming up too which we never see outside of the Olympics. I actually think we should have a couple more mat-combat sports beyond Judo and Taekwando - they make for good viewing and a couple slots are available after this event (due to softball/baseball being canned)

With the football starting though I can't help noticing the irony really looking forward four years - the most soccer obsessed nation in the world is hosting the Olympic games and the public doesn't give two hoots about the competition. It gets no coverage over here whatsoever.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what an incredible Opening Ceremonies. I moved to Atlanta during the '96 Olympics and we got to go see Michael Johnson run, awesome for me having been a track and field athlete! And much better than monster trucks they showed at our ceremonies.

Special prayers to our wonderful local swimming hero Eric Shanteau, he is fighting cancer and went on to the Olympics, GO ERIC!!!

I love gymnastics!! I still remember when Mary Lou won Gold!! Go USA!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

ElenitaB and PirateLover -

Thanks for your posts. I'm PM'ing both of you.

Sylvia
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

That opening ceremony was sensational!

It really got me excited for the games...... I'll be watching swimming, gymnastics, and diving!
    I love Walt Disney World!!!!! :)
    A Happy Visitor since 1974!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Who's talking now? WE ARE!

That was incredible!!! GO USA!

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Who's talking now? WE ARE!

That was incredible!!! GO USA!
    When will some athletes learn... don't start trash talking before an event because it just turns into bulletin board material. After the event, sure- you can boast all you want because then you've earned it.

What an incredible performance in that 4x100 relay though, especially that anchor leg and shattering the world record.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: