Quantcast One night early. Where to stay off-site?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default One night early. Where to stay off-site?

We are going to be arriving via car one night early. We want to stay as close to the magic as possible but still be off-site. Clean, safe and cheap are my only requirements. We will be staying at the Grand Flo when we get to WDW and it would have cost $433 to add one night. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We always drive to WDW and run into the same situation...not wanting to spend big $$ for the first night since we're not sure exactly when we'll arrive.

I did a lot of checking, but still keep coming back to the Value resorts. For a first night, in an area that you KNOW is clean & safe, they're perfect. And, it's let us experience the values first hand. I know you said you wanted off property, but for $80-$120 (depending on time of year, day of the week, etc.) you can't beat it...and you're on property and can take advantage of being a resort guest.

For example, on our May 2008 trip, we arrived on Saturday afternoon and checked into Pop Century. We went to our room, changed clothes, and went to Downtown Disney, then to the Beach Club/Boardwalk area for dinner. It really works out great, and is a fantastic way to begin your vacation and get you even more in the Disney spirit.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We have actually done that same thing before but they are so big and the lines so long at the check-in that it took us about an hour and a half to get to the room and we swore we'd never do that again.

Post Thanks / Like

We do the value resorts (and have missed out on the long lines that plagued you). But since you have ruled that out based on your bad experience, why not give the Gaylord Palms a try...you can often get a good rate there (since they are an intercot sponsor)...and the resort is very nice. DW stayed there earlier this year on business and thought it was on a par with some of the nicer hotels we've stayed at in florida through the years.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I'd book a night at one of the values.....we've stayed off site the first night our last two trips and I said never again!

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Actually gaylord palms is pretty nice for the money- check out the link to the site-
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

I have wondered about the Gaylord but was concerned about how long it would take to check in there since it is so big.

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying for a night at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. It is about a mile from DTD and we have a king sized room with kitcheette for $72.00. We have also stayed at the Sheraton Safrari Suites but they were a little more about $129.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed the Country Inn and Suites at Calypso Cay, about 3 mis from WDW. Comp. Cont. Breakfast (I believe it included fresh waffles). Great pools with slides and other features, even a free minigolf (small) onsite.

If you've got kids, this is a great set up because you can put them to bed and still stay up in the living area of the suite. Not all rooms are suites, though, so if this is important, be sure to request. It is also not (or wasn't last time we were there) completely smoke free, but we had no problems with our non-smoking room.

You can google Country Inn Calypso Cay and that should take you right to it. We've stayed here a couple of times when we've gotten in the night before, had breakfast and then headed over to WDW for our vacation to start.
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

I am also coming in a day before my package starts at the Polynesian and we booked the All Star Movies for that night at $74 including tax. I felt it was worth the extra $15-$20 to stay there instead of an outside hotel that may or may not be clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on how really cheap you are. We always drive down and when we are arriving really late, after 9pm, I have booked a really cheap offsite hotel by using expedia or travelocity. There are lots of them right outside WDW on 192, only 5 minutes drive. Last trip we (family of 4) slept and showered for $39.00 (tax included), with a pretty good continental breakfast included. It was clean, but certainly not fancy in any way. In the morning we went straight to our WDW resort, checked in at 8:00am (there's no check-in line then), left our bags and spent the entire day at the parks. And we were staying in a value anyway, so that tells you how cheap we are! We really have scrimp and save for every WDW trip we take, or we wouldn't be able to go.
    And if you do stay off-site, it will make the GF feel even more grand and luxurious. And at $433 per night, it better be!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to the Orlando area (or Disney World obviously), but I used to work for the Gaylord Texan. All of the Gaylords are very nice resorts and check-in lines usually aren't much of an issue. Plus it looks like they're offering some pretty good deals on rooms right now. We are planning a trip in April and the only reason we aren't staying at the Palms is because we want the full Disney Experience, so we're staying at WL.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I did photos for the newly renovated Radisson Lake Buena Vista that just opened Feb 14. Might as well be a new hotel- new owners took it down to the bare skeleton. Right across the street from DTD, and pretty reasonably priced. Tell them Stan sent you.

The Gaylord Palms is a wonderful place. If you can get in there at a decent price, you won't be disappointed, except perhaps when you have to leave for the GF!
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Post Thanks / Like

we usually arrive a day before we are to check in @ our resort and have always stayed in the DTD area on Hotel Plaza Blvd. They're very reasonable, we go to DTD that evening for a light supper and some shopping, and it allows us to check in early the next AM @our resort. We have a small overnight bag for our stay so we don't have to unpack ALL our things. (and we can use the bag for our souveniers). The next AM (@ 7:30-8AM), we check our luggage @ our resort, (specify what area and/or room we prefer...yes we know what room # we want and the earlier we check in, the more likely we are to get it, and there are no waiting lines to check in. Then we head on over to MK. When we return, usually around lunch or after, our room is ready and our things are there.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

My family loves Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I second the nomination for the Country Inn & Suites on Calypso Cay Way. We stayed there TWO nights before we checked into the Polynesian - just last month. The rooms were great, the pools were wonderful and the breakfast buffet was better than the breakfast spread we had at the Poly's Concierge Lounge.

We got the room for around $89/night thru Hotels.com.

I would definitely stay there again.

Have fun!
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone will say "uggh Super 8" but before I moved to the area I stayed a few times at the Super 8
    5875 W Irlo Bronson Hwy
    Kissimmee, FL 34746 US

The rooms were always clean and a quick look shows prices for one night of $50-55 (55-63 including tax).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: