Quantcast Mini tripods for the parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mini tripods for the parks?

Has anyone tried using a mini tripod in the parks? I would love to be able to take some night shots on my upcoming trip. I think I have also heard people mention some sort of clip on tripod? Any tips would be great. Usually I just try to find a trashcan or something to put my camera on and then use the timer ... would the tripod be worth it?

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, getting a tripod is absolutely worth it. I have a Gorillapod-like mini tripod, which was made by another company. It is extremely light weight (weighs almost nothing as it is plastic), and slides on and off the camera very easily once you screw the top part into the bottom of the camera. It is made of small balls that bend easily and so the tripod will wrap itself around anything that's available - you don't need a flat surface - you can even use a pole.

I use the self-timer too when taking night shots - it works out great.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

I use them quite often at the parks. They really improve the quality of the images.

Post Thanks / Like

Many camera shops sell bean bags which I have found are much better suited to using in the parks. Especially considering you are looking at a mini-tripod.

The bean bags can be put just about anywhere, on a railing, on a wall, table, etc. Curved surfaces don't matter, etc. I found it VERY handy and good enough for a full 35mm digital and a point and shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    Yes, getting a tripod is absolutely worth it. I have a Gorillapod-like mini tripod, which was made by another company. It is extremely light weight (weighs almost nothing as it is plastic), and slides on and off the camera very easily once you screw the top part into the bottom of the camera. It is made of small balls that bend easily and so the tripod will wrap itself around anything that's available - you don't need a flat surface - you can even use a pole.

I use the self-timer too when taking night shots - it works out great.
    Agree with everything! The Gorilla-pods are terrific. They come in different sizes from quite small (about 4") to large (1ft or so). We have one that's about 6" long, hardly notice it, its strong and rigid when it needs to be and wraps around most railings and even tree branches.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I've used an Ultrapod II. There's a slightly smaller version called the Ultrapod. They both have a velcro strap that allows you to attach them to things instead of just setting them on something.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

just dont go cheap on this purchase. I agree with some of the suggestions on brands. A generic mini pod will not last you, as a matter of fact, the legs break off of them. Spend more money and get something that will last. This is not an item to go cheap on, though, most camera accessories aren't.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Can you find a Gorilla Pod (or similar) at most photo stores?

ºoº Trips ºoº
    86 – Days Inn
    87, 88 – Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00, 02 – Fort Wilderness Homes/Cabins
    06 - Paradise Pier
    08 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - Candy Cane Inn
    11 - MK
    11 - DL Paris
    12 - Coronado Springs
    13 - DL/California Adventure
    14 - All Star Movies
    15 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I've been pleased with our Gorillapod. It's not too heavy or bulky to carry in a backpack, either.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

The gorillapods are excellent to use in the parks as they are small, lightweight and can easily wrap around something like a railing to provide a steady anchor for your camera.

Just be sure to get the proper gorillapod for your camera- they come in several different sizes (to accomodate different camera weights) from a compact size for point and shoots up to a larger model for SLRs.

You can find gorillapods at some camera shops, or nationwide at REI stores and I've seen them repackaged under a different brand at Best Buy stores.

Increasingly at the parks, the use of full-sized tripods or monopods is discouraged.

Recently for example the Tokyo Disney Resort has been alerting it's guests to the following policy change to go into effect:

From September 1, for the safety of all Guests, taking photos or videos while using unipods, tripods, hard carrying cases, or other such equipment will not be allowed. Please refrain from bringing such equipment into the Park.

I've also seen guests asked to not use large tripods at Disneyland by security, although I have not heard that as an official policy stance from the resort.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: