Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009 - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think that Disney is giving themselves flexibility. January is always a very low attendance month, so if you're going to back something off, that is when you'd do it.

Also, with the statement that it's will be more often when it's busier, it's entirely possible that Fantasmic will be every day again when the busier time hits.

The one question I have is, Why Monday and Thursday? Why not a weekend day? Ok, so two questions.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am totally with Sgt Tigger on this. I'm still upset about the Osborne lights. I just don't understand these cuts to things that are so popular. Surely there are rides/attractions that are not as popular where they could save money. And I have to say that while they might need to cut some, those of us going to WDW are paying more with gas prices, etc., so it doesn't make sense to me to keep cutting things and giving people more reason to stay closer to home on vacation. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just a perfect way to end my day. Like it wasn't bad enough, no, now they are changing Hollywood Studios, eliminating the nightly Fantasmic, and adding an American Idol thing. Can it get worse?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

They will here about my dissatifaction!! Bad, Bad I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasmic

Sorry to see Fantasmic going to 2 nights a week. Such a cool show. This reminds of way back in the late 80s at Epcot when IllumiNations also had reduced viewings. 3 or 4 nights a week I think. Seems everyone suffered. Guests, the shops and the restaurants. On those off nights it was very quiet at Epcot after dark. I'm sure money was saved, but the money lost in the shops and restaurants with reduced numbers of guests had to be staggering. After a while the show came back to 7 nights and I'm willing to bet Fantasmic will too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Also, with the statement that it's will be more often when it's busier, it's entirely possible that Fantasmic will be every day again when the busier time hits.
    I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier I mentioned this move was strange, but if it was to save for a MAJOR addition on the horizon it made sense. Star Tours 2, a new country or whatever. I also said that other parks NATIONWIDE and especially in ORLANDO were adding new stuff. Maybe it is out of desperation, but Disney isn't just NOT adding new stuff, they are taking away old and really popular stuff. Character meals, PI and now Fantasmic (albeit not entirely). BTW, Universal might be desperate, but then they're desperate on a global scale as they are adding parks in Dubai, South Korea and Singapore.

I must say I don't understand those of you who are saying, "There's no reason for me to go to the Studios now." Really?! Tower of Terror? Rock and Roller Coaster? Lights, Motors, Action? Eating and playing at Pizza Planet? Meet and Greets with virtually every Pixar character? Don't get me wrong, I know improvements are needed. The Backlot Tour, the Indy show, Star Tours and GMR all sorely in need updates. And, Sounds Dangerous is just stupid. But this has become my #2 park behind MK. Besides, it sounds like some changes are likely at least for the Indy Stunt Show and Star Tours.

Also, to those of you who feel the same show for 9 years gets old, what about Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? That opened in 1994 and wasn't that good to begin with. Or the whole Ellen's Energy thing? That's been the same for over 10 years, too, and I think that energy issues have changed since then. Plus Alex Trebek shaved! Fantasmic shows numerous timeless Disney classics, and to add some more clips isn't that hard as the premise is sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.
    Indeed, and they've been doing that sort of thing for a long time. There are even times where it will go down for extended periods for various reasons including rehabs, work on Tom Sawyer/Pirate island, etc.

I've mentioned this already, but I can almost guarantee at least 4-5 performances a week during the busy times, and it wouldn't surprise me to see 7+ shows per week.

They know how popular the show is, but if they show it every night during the slowest times of the year, you'll have a lot of empty seats.

During the busy season, they know that they need more shows or they will end up turning people away - and they do NOT want to turn away 1,000 or more people from a show like that. They're not stupid. They know that a packed Fantasmic house will make them money and keep people entertained, but unless you can come close to filling the amphitheater, it's not worth showing every night during the slow times.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I couldn't disagree more...

...it's the same thing....day in and out.....it's been there what? 9 years?.....

it's not like this thing was going to be the same for 40 years.....
    The problem with this is, the the logic is locked out. Does this mean since the Great Movie Ride has barely had a last movie update since its opening it will only run 2 days a week? Instead of incorporating the latest IJones movie into the show let's cut it to 2 days a week. Instead of making the backlot tour contemporary and always exciting for new and returning guests let's just change it to the Disaster Canyon Experience - and run it 2 days a week.

Post Thanks / Like

WHOA! Why's the part about Fantasmic shoved down at the end of that little tidbit of news.

Are you KIDDING me!?! Two nights a week!?! It's always mobbed even during the off-season.

What exactly are people supposed to do at night at Disney anymore? Pleasure Island is closed, Studios don't have a nighttime show 5 nights a week, AK closes at 5, and even Spectro isn't offered every night.

That's pretty darn crummy (and boy do I want to use much stronger words) from a company that's no doubt going to RAISE ticket prices next year, too.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    WHOA!...

What exactly are people supposed to do at night at Disney anymore?...
    It's easy to predict the answer the that, Red.

FAKE PRESS RELEASE

We're proud to announce a new and exciting experience at Disney's Magic Kingdom. Due to the overwhelming success of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and now the Princess and Pirate Party, Beginning in 2009 Disney's Magic Kingdom will close every night at 7pm and on those nights one of the other parties isn't taking place, the Magic Kingdom will host Mickey's We Need The Cash So We're Making Every Night A Separate Hard Ticket Event. Families will gather to enjoy the magical thrill of seeing their VISA balance go up. Guests staying at Disney resorts may purchase their MWNTCSWMENASHTE tickets up to 180 days before their WDW vacation...

Post Thanks / Like

Just because an attraction has been there a long time doesn't mean it should go away or be reduced. Probably a percentage of attractions at Disney have been there a long time, it doesn't mean we cut them back or get rid of them. I look forward to Wishes every trip doesn't mean I want them to cut it down to two nights a week since it's been there awhile. People go back because they like what's there and look forward to their favorites. And what may be one persons favorite may not be another and that's O.K. that's why it's a great for everyone because there is so much to offer. And yes everyone does like to see new stuff too. I guess only time will tell.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like it is a way of cost-cutting. I'm sure that it is a very expensive show to run every night.
    Just my opinion!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doug The Disney Man View Post
    I must say I don't understand those of you who are saying, "There's no reason for me to go to the Studios now." Really?! Tower of Terror? Rock and Roller Coaster? Lights, Motors, Action? Eating and playing at Pizza Planet? Meet and Greets with virtually every Pixar character? Don't get me wrong, I know improvements are needed. The Backlot Tour, the Indy show, Star Tours and GMR all sorely in need updates. And, Sounds Dangerous is just stupid. But this has become my #2 park behind MK. Besides, it sounds like some changes are likely at least for the Indy Stunt Show and Star Tours.

Also, to those of you who feel the same show for 9 years gets old, what about Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? That opened in 1994 and wasn't that good to begin with. Or the whole Ellen's Energy thing? That's been the same for over 10 years, too, and I think that energy issues have changed since then. Plus Alex Trebek shaved! Fantasmic shows numerous timeless Disney classics, and to add some more clips isn't that hard as the premise is sound.

Lets see I dont do Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Indy show.
    The Backlot Tour and Sounds Dangerous are just a waste of time.
    So why do I not want to go here.......... I think I have listed them..... To each his own and for me now I have no reason to go to the park......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug The Disney Man View Post
    I don't do ToT (I might someday, but it's not on my must-do list), nor RnRC. Pizza Planet is fine, and it's nice to meet the Pixar characters, but I have pics & autographs from most, so it's less of a big deal.

We'll probably hit DHS, but only if we need to kill some time or are on a really long trip. It's always been the lowest on our list, but we tried to make Fantasmic. But, since we visit on the off-season, we'll probably skip it entirely next time around.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    The problem with this is, the the logic is locked out. Does this mean since the Great Movie Ride has barely had a last movie update since its opening it will only run 2 days a week? Instead of incorporating the latest IJones movie into the show let's cut it to 2 days a week. Instead of making the backlot tour contemporary and always exciting for new and returning guests let's just change it to the Disaster Canyon Experience - and run it 2 days a week.
    1. I was speaking about shows specifically....especially the nighttime ones......they do get old......that is why fireworks shows are updated every 10-20 years...minimum.....and parades are swapped out every 5 years or so......

that's just the history of disney parks.....

2. Rides are often stale and outdated.....but there is removal, replacement, reinvention to handle that situation....
    And also....rides are one of several dozen of the average attractions in a park.....some people love it and go on it all the time.....some skip it and never will....others go every few trips.....

that's how rides and normal attractions are.....

a nighttime show is pushed as a "must do"....to end your day.....to EVERYONE in the park.....
    with that comes an added emphasis on freshness.....

3. your example of the great movie ride is a good one....
    except...they've been trying to find a way to take it down and redo it for years.....
    the problem is one of volume.....WDW rides are designed by and large with high volume in mind.......
    the great movie ride and can push 2K bodies through and hour...at least....

that's over 20,000 "butts in seats" per day....all day....
    even a large show such as fantasmic is a limited attraction in terms of overall numbers and operating costs per person.....

and for the record.....the backlot tour has needed to be dozed for decades.....Indiana Jones stunt show is far from appealing after not being changed one bit in 20 years......and the movie ride can use and update and overhaul.....

many of the scenes in the movie ride are somewhat obscure......

alien.....westerns.....even casablanca.....will continue to fade further from the memories and are completely unknown to about 30 years worth of audience (And growing) at this point....

but when you handle high numbers....you automatically avoid the pink slip at WDW for years.....
    always have.....always will.....

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe they would cut Fantasmic down to 2 nights! I've never been to a show that wasn't packed. It is a Disney classic. I think that guest demands will have it shown on a more regular basis ( I HOPE!!!). It's a must see for us during every trip.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

A few more of my thoughts based on some of the comments I'm reading.

1) Some have said that there's nothing for them at DHS without Fantasmic. So, are you saying that Fantasmic alone was enough of a reason to spend a whole day there, and without Fantasmic, there's no reason for you to go? I'm sort of confused. I mean, if there was nothing I liked at a park, I certainly wouldn't waste a whole day there. I'd get a park hopper and only show up for Fantasmic - and unless I missed something, can't you still do that? I mean, sure, you'll have to plan a little better in advance knowing that Fantasmic won't necessarily show every night (except potentially during the peak season), but is that such a big deal?

2) I personally enjoy DHS very much. I love ToT and RnRC, and two of my all time favorite attractions are Star Tours and Muppetvision. Yup, they're very dated, some people don't even bother with them, but I love them so much. It's partly nostalgia, partly the fact that I love Star Wars and the Muppets. Plus, that entire end of the park is so quiet at night and beautifully themed. I went to the park and enjoyed it before Fantasmic was there, and enjoyed it even more when they put in Fantasmic. I can still watch Fantasmic. Perhaps not every night, but at least I can still see it.

3) Some are saying that Fantasmic is packed, even during the off-season. I find that hard to believe. I've been to Fantasmic during the summer (busy season) and not had a 100% full show yet. I've seen shows that are mostly full, but I've never been to a "sellout". The last time I saw Fantasmic (last day in June or thereabouts, 4 years ago), they didn't even open up the "end" sections on both sides of the amphitheater.

I find it very difficult to believe that it will be packed every day during the slow times.

I'm curious as to those that are claiming this - have you actully been to WDW during the slow season? What month? How close to "full" was Fantasmic when you saw it? Was it a Saturday or a weeknight?

4) Some people are failing to recognize some very important factors in this:

Fantasmic costs a lot to run each show. Someone had stated $30,000, and while I don't know if that's true or not, I certainly believe that figure. It takes hundreds of CMs, there's a lot of fire/pyro/fireworks, etc. Cutting down from 7 shows to 2 could potentially save $150,000 a week.

Fantasmic will be cut down to 2 shows per week during the slower season. I guarantee that during the busier times there will be at least 3 or 4 shows per week, and during the busiest times I'd be willing to bet you'll see the show every single night of the week, and perhaps even 2 shows on certain nights like when DHS has EMHs at night.

5) Some have said "what's next, cutting back GMR or some other attraction to two days per week?". It's not the same thing. You can't start closing down attractions. Firstly, they're much, much, cheaper to keep them running. Fantasmic requires a huge cast of characters as well as CMs for crowd control, etc, and requires the park to often times be open well past "normal" closing time in order to handle the exiting guests after the show is over with. So in addition to the cost of the show itself, extra CMs are needed for guest assistance after the show is over. This means busses need to run later, CMs must work later as well as there having to be more of them in the park after the show. That all translates into more money, on top of the $30,000 to run the show.

Again, Disneyland's Fantasmic runs only on weekends during the slow season. That's it. That means other than the fireworks (which themselves are not shown every night during the slow season), you have no nighttime shows to watch. At WDW, Illuminations is every single night, 365 days a year, Wishes on most nights, and Spectromagic as well. That's in addition to a bare minimum of two Fantasmics per week, and again, I promise you'll see 4-7 per week during the busier season.

I've also heard some people claim that WDW is "wall-to-wall people" and that they haven't seen any downturn in crowds or attendance. That's simply not something you can tell during one vacation. You may have picked a busier week than you have in the past, or just simply picked "the right park on the right day" to experience bigger crowds than you remember. The fact of the matter is that the economy right now is not booming (look at stock market prices, interest rates, long term CD rates, money market funds, and mutual fund rates. they are ALL down). Oil prices are exceedingly high, and I personally know families that are feeling the crunch of this, and felt it a lot this past winter. Travel is most definitely down, and while you might not personally have seen it at WDW yourself, the numbers seem to bear out that recreational travel has been down somewhat, not just at WDW, but in general.

If cutting back on a show like Fantasmic during the slow season can help Disney's bottom line until the economy picks up and people can stop worrying about gas/fuel/oil prices a bit, then travel will increase and they can start going full tilt again.

I think we were somewhat spoiled by the fact that Fantasmic had been every night of the year for so long. It's an expensive show, and Disney isn't cutting it back just because they "can." It's a highly calculated financial move.

To me, that's one of the prices of going during the slower season. You gain the benefit of smaller crowds, but you may occasionally pay the price of shorter park hours and less shows. You won't miss out on seeing Fantasmic, you'll just have to schedule your time at WDW a little more carefully. That really shouldn't be too hard, as during the off-peak times there should be plenty of chance to see and do everything you want. Making sure to get a night of Fantasmic shouldn't be a problem.

I've said this before, but I'm sure we'd all love it if every park was open 24/7, every evening show was shown several times per night, etc. That would be great. We have to realize that as magic as Disney is, they can't do that, and regardless of whether or not you notice it, recreational spending is currently in a bit of a lull nationwide.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    ...I certainly wouldn't waste a whole day there. I'd get a park hopper and only show up for Fantasmic...
    Yes, what Disney calls "Magic Your Way" increasingly is, "If you want to experience Disney World you need to 'hop' and add 'water parks and more' and stay at least a week."

Post Thanks / Like

Vito - we are typically there in January, which is pretty off-season. And the times we have been there, while Fantasmic has not been standing room-only, it's been pretty packed.

There is other stuff there, but really, without Fantasmic, I have to weigh the attraction of Muppets, Star Tours and a couple of other things versus the transport time to the park, the time spent in DHS versus what I could be spending at MK, etc.

DHS used to be the park we hit to round out the day after AK. Now, it might be the "hit early in the morning, and go get lunch & do stuff elsewhere, because we're done at 10."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: