Quantcast Garden Grill Lunch Ends 10/08 & Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner Ends 1/09 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    I can see that for MK. Tony's and the miniscule Plaza Restaurant are the only dinner options without characters. And Tony's is not a stellar place to dine (unfortunately). Their service and food need a big upgrade!!

But for Epcot??? Garden Grill is one of only 2 places you can dine with characters in all of Epcot! Outside of Norway and Garden Grill, you have 10 TS restaurants in World Showcase (none in America, 2 in France), and another TS in the Seas pavilion.
    How could anyone say they can't find a non-character meal in Epcot??
    I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes I have to wonder where they come up with the "Guest preferences."
    I've wondered the same thing myself. They must survey older couples that go to WDW and basically stroll the parks and like to eat in a quiet atmosphere. Which also makes you wonder....why they even go to WDW.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's sad, by time I have kids and they are old enough to take there won't been anything left.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I will be eating at LTT on December 2nd during MVMCP. Sorry to see the characters go. We'll definetly take lots of photos.... As for the Garden Grill, my husband and I are eating there for the first time for dinner. I'm glad we didn't schedule a lunch or we would have had to change it.. Can't wait to see "farmer mickey "

Next trip: November 24th thru December 5th

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a good email and snail mail address we can all write to? I am getting angrier about this more and more as each minute passes. You would think that the fact that you have to make LTT reservations pretty early to even get one would be enough of a positive to stay the way they are. And why take away the only character meal at MK with the original Disney gang?? In my opinion there aren't enough character meals. They have already made the princess meals too expensive for an average family to enjoy. Now they take away the best dinner character meal at WDW. Anyway, if anyone knows an address please send it my way! Thanks!!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We've eaten at Garden Grill many times for lunch and love everything about it - the characters, the atmosphere, and the food. This October trip we decided to forego GG and book LTT for dinner before MNSSHP as we did this a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The food is similar so we figured there was no need to do both. Now I'm glad we did and that we're able to enjoy LTT character experience one more time.

And as far as customer complaints being the souce of this, I've been complainining for YEARS about the lack of character meals for BOYS and nothing has been done so far. I hate to see 2 more of our options leaving us.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add my thoughts, I do understand some people's views that there may be too many character meals in a sense. I don't think the answer though is to take them away, but maybe to make some adjustments.

For example, I'm in my 20's and visit Disney with my parents every year (this year twice!). When I was young sit-down meals weren't really in our vacation budget and character appearances in the park were much more rare. Consequently, we enjoy going to character meals and visiting the characters now because I never got the chance as a kid. Unfortunately, however, we've noticed that the characters don't pay our table of adults as much attention as they do the kids and occasionally we feel a bit out of place. I think the answer from Disney is not to cut out character meals but maybe to readjust how they present the characters and balance out fun time with the characters and eating time in order to create an experience that appeals both to adults and families with little kids.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

I've wondered the same thing myself. They must survey older couples that go to WDW and basically stroll the parks and like to eat in a quiet atmosphere. Which also makes you wonder....why they even go to WDW.
    I feel I need to respond to this. Is there a rule that adults can't go to Disney without kids? I don't think taking away character meals is the answer, but I do understand Disney's overall interest in keeping the parks interesting and accessible to persons of all ages.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

As a parent LTT was one of our favorite meals. My whole family loved the food and its so nice to see charachters while you are eating so we don't have to take time in the day to stand in line.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sort of glad they're removing some character meals. I'd like to be able to eat at the Garden Grill with a non-character meal. We ate there on our first trip in 1994, and it was a nice meal. We've never eaten at the Liberty Tree Tavern, but I might consider it now for lunch.

I enjoy character meals, but I only need 1-2 during a trip.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that for MK. Tony's and the miniscule Plaza Restaurant are the only dinner options without characters. And Tony's is not a stellar place to dine (unfortunately). Their service and food need a big upgrade!!

But for Epcot??? Garden Grill is one of only 2 places you can dine with characters in all of Epcot! Outside of Norway and Garden Grill, you have 10 TS restaurants in World Showcase (none in America, 2 in France), and another TS in the Seas pavilion.

I agree. I feel that MK really falls short on TS options. (I'm not sure that eliminating character meals is the best solution to this, though.) But Epcot???

As far as where they come up with "Guest preferences," on our recent three-day weekend trip to WDW, we were approached by survey takers five different times. We are a couple in our early 30s, no kids.
    Last edited by Aggie97; 07-02-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add'l info
    șOș April șOș

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a slight different thought on the subject.

Do any of you remember when the LTT was just a restaurant without a character meal? When they added the character meal for dinner and I for one was dissapointed and have only been going there for lunch since and still enjoying the great menu. Even though my DD has also grown up going to WDW (she is now 18), we enjoyed LTT as it was.

If they keep the characters at Garden Grill for dinner, I think that it will be okay becasue World Showcase does not open untill 11 and most guest are still in Future World at lunch time. Therefore the need for non character dining at lunch is possible. At dinner, there are all the locations in World Showcase to choose from and families with small children will most likly still be enjoying the attractions of Future World (Finding Nemo etc) Therefore, there is a choice for the guest.

We do not like changes. But, sometimes change is necessary and sometimes it brings on better things.

And finally, we try to make each visit to WDW different. If you keep going to your favorite restaurant, you have to be ready for the one time it does not meet your expectations. We always are eager to try new things.

Trust that we all will be able to ajust just fine.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    I feel I need to respond to this. Is there a rule that adults can't go to Disney without kids? I don't think taking away character meals is the answer, but I do understand Disney's overall interest in keeping the parks interesting and accessible to persons of all ages.
    I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I guess I should have worded it better. What I meant was they probably got complaints from older people who go there but don't want to be bothered by characters or even ride the rides. They basically go to walk around and keep to themselves. To me you miss out on a lot of the magic that way. That's why I said why even bother going if you don't want to be bothered.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

We will miss the Liberty Tree character meal!! That was one of our favorites.
    Disney Dream
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian (twice)
    Contemporary (twice)
    Coronado Springs
    Wilderness Lodge (twice)
    Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Riverside (4 visits)
    French Quarter (3 visits)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Why don't they stop having fireworks so that guest can have a fun-free night.
    Please...Let's not give them anymore BAD ideas. It's already tragic enough that we are losing our LTT character meal.
    Multiple wonderful trips; Next June 2012
    "All it takes is faith and trust...and just a little bit of pixie dust."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Decision

You're entirely right. I think believing everything the Disney Company tells us comes from 'We've listened to our guests...' is a real trip to Fantasy Land.

There can be only reason for dropping character dining at GG for lunch: Some bean-counter determined families take exactly 11.23 minutes longer to turn a table when characters stop to visit and pose for pictures and character CMs make an average of $x.xx per hour and Soarin' has moved The Land from empty to busy so according to my chart we can save $x per day eliminating characters from GG at lunch.

They've forgotten the look on a child's face when Farmer Mickey comes around the corner is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we'll never experience either meal. Now I wish we had gone to LTT on our P&PP night!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we go against the grain and I'll get flamed for this but we avoided LTT at dinner because it was a character meal. WE would only go there for lunch. I avoid character meals now because of two bad experiences. That doesn't mean I am a non Disney Person.

There are other dining options at the Magic Kingdom and resorts for character dining fans. I'll think everyone will survive.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a bummer. I haven't done GG yet, but guess we'll maybe try it for dinner sometime. The catfish on the menu had scared me away LOL As far as LTT, we have reservations for dinner this Aug...I had booked that on a whim. Now I'm glad I did. I think it's really unfortunate anyway that you can't see Mickey Mouse at a TS restaurant in the MK. Seems odd to me. I also agree that the MK needs more TS restaurant options in general.
    BCV- April '09 Beach Club Villas w/friends (9 kids- 18 of us total)
    ASSp- Aug '08- free dining
    AKV Savanna and SSR - Sept-Oct '07
    DVC Members-Saratoga Springs as of Aug '06
    YC- Oct '04 (first trip for our 5 kids)
    Former FL resident w/numerous day visits in '80's & '90's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Regrettable, but I do like the idea.
    2) It was getting to be that you couldn't eat except at character meals.
    3) I know of lots of people who complained that they wanted less character meals.
    I completely agree. I suppose I'm in the minority, but I was thrilled to read this news. I love Liberty Tree Tavern, but my family has avoided dinner because it is a character meal. It is now a must-do for next trip if the menu remains the same.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

**Original Post Updated with Important Clarification**

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: