Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm curious to see what becomes of the Adventurer's Club.

I'll admit I don't get there too often because of the kiddies, but when I do go I always have a blast.

I'd miss it if it closed.

Oh wait, I forgot ... it's moving over to "Night Kingdom."
    Yeah right.... From JH's site:
    And as for those of you who are now counting on "Night Kingdom" as being the Adventurers Club's savior ... Well, I guess I should mention that WDW's answer to Discovery Cove is being reconsidered. Not because of what's going on with the economy or with gas prices. But -- rather -- because Bob Iger himself was reportedly concerned with this project's mix of elements. Which is why the Imagineers are now revisiting their original concept for Disney World's niche park.

But from what I've been hearing, "Night Kingdom" 's firm 2012 opening is now far from firm.
    I still don't get how this guy gets off espousing the statements he does and gets away with it. No credibility in my book....

Anyway, I don't like the "more shops and dining" reason, but I think it is the right thing to do.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

While PI may have seemed successful, I'm sure it was also a sore spot for Disney to manage. My first impression of PI was that it just didn't belong, it didn't have that same Disney, Family style of attraction or entertainment. And, I think this may be kind of what the current management feels as well.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! That's pretty amazing news and I can't believe so many people around here are shrugging it off.

First of all, closing the Adventurer's Club is amazing and pretty insane....to the point that I have a feeling it will get "reimagined" but remain similar to the current location (maybe just more family friendly.)

The 300 foot balloon thing sounds cool and it's only a matter of time before they start adding other signature shows and the like.

I have a feeling we're looking at the 5th gate here. After all, it's been a decade since Animal Kingdom and usually that's the time that's needed to pass before opening another park. They're turning Downtown Disney into a place people could spend all day at and they will surely begin promoting it that way once all of these changes are complete.

That having been said, I might need to get to Disney before September since I have never been to the PI clubs. (Hey! I've been there 10 times and never bothered going to PI. I guess that's why it's closing.)
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    As usual for me, I'm not going to jump on the "complain about it before we even see it" bandwagon. And I'm not of the sort to start throwing names like "stupid" at the people making business descisions just because it's not what I want.

But I do have a few thoughts and comments -

I think this makes good sense in a lot of ways -
    - with most TS restaurants being consistently full, and difficult to get ADRs, more dining options would seem to make a lot sense, and may help a little.

- adding choices that do business all day, instead of just at night, seems to make good business sense to me.

- on a philosophical level I'm really all for letting someone else handle the Adult entertainment, while letting Disney handle the family entertainment. I know others will disagree, but in my own mind, while on Disney Property, I think you should expect to find family orinted entertainment and offerings. Relying on WDW transportation to be the designated driver, to me is just not very "Magical".

- I know it's not going to be a popular comment, but I like to think that the foks at Disney DO listen to the commentes of customers. And if the trend of comments say they want more shopping and eating, then that's the direction the business should take. It would seem silly to do otherwise. If there was no demand for it, why would they do it.

So, I'll wait and see before casting judgement. But my initial thought is, I like the idea.
    I completely agree! We have never been to PI. It's just not what we come to Disney for. If I want a night out at the clubs I can do that at home. I'd rather turn in early so we can hit the parks the next day. We always spend some time at Downtown Disney so I'd welcome a few new shops and restaurants.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

lockedoutlogic Guest

petitions are of little value in most cases....

they are of no value at WDW.....it's done....

it might be disappointing....but i would advise everyone to just accept it and try to look at the bright side.....however "dim" that might be in your case....

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mjstaceyuofm View Post
    I still don't get how this guy gets off espousing the statements he does and gets away with it. No credibility in my book....
    I agree. The next time one of JH's rumors comes to fruition it will be the first time.

He either has some of the worst sources on the planet or he makes stuff up simply to drive readers to his site.

Having met Jim a couple times, I highly doubt he's the type to make things up, so I suspect he has some sources that are less-than-reliable.
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    petitions are of little value in most cases....

they are of no value at WDW.....it's done....

it might be disappointing....but i would advise everyone to just accept it and try to look at the bright side.....however "dim" that might be in your case....
    Correct. This decision has already been made. No amount of signatures on a petition is going to change things.

If the petitions to save Horizons and Mr. Toad had no effect, this one will definitely fall on deaf "ears" (pun definitely intended).
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdventurer View Post
    It is one of my favorite places in all of DW. So many great memories....

At least I'm going in September and will have one final chance to give the Adventurer's Club salute.

SurferStich I didn't see the petition either, maybe you can post it here?

KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    I agree that I'll miss the Adventurer's Club dearly. DH and I love to visit when we get the chance (we usually travel with my parents so we switch off watching the children at night).

KUNGALOOSH!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I think the closing of Pleasure Island clubs is tragic. Allow me to explain:

Disney has always been family-oriented. All four parks, two water parks and a whole shwack (did I just say shwack? Yes.) of other activities give you many, many options to have fun as a family, a couple, and it even occupies your time if you're traveling single. People of all ages - zero to 100+ could enjoy everything in the world - except the ONE thing that remained adult themed: Pleasure Island clubs. The closing of the Soundstage, Comedy Warehouse, Motion, etc. etc. was the only place where couples, groups of adults, and probably even single travelers (speaking from experience) could get away from the "little ones", have a few beverages, and dance, laugh, and have a good time. Every night club in the world (the real world) has its problems; there are always rowdy tourists in almost every resort so you think it'd be something that visitors to bars/clubs would almost be used to.

I know Disney World is geared towards EVERY age imaginable, but it was so nice to have the option to spend time solely with adults, and a mostly-mature crowd. Now with Disney shutting down this option completely, where do those guests go? I feel like a huge part of the (WD) world will be missing. I think they should at least leave one club open; maybe two of them. To see every club close makes me also hope that they're going to do something amazing with the experience they have in store for us after the renovations. But do we honestly need more shopping in WDW? Restaurants even? They are taking away a large part of the world and that service will no longer be offered. The closest you will get to being in a club experience is one of the lounges in the resorts. Which is fine...but definitely not the same.

No matter what we say, how many petitions get signed…the deal is done; Disney is now just waiting until the 28th of September to rip down the clubs.

My last memory was in the club called Motion, last September, where to this day I declare was one of the best nights I ever spent in WDW. Hanging out with cast members, sharing stories, great music playing, sipping on rum...the experience was amazing...and sadly, it won't be repeated thanks to WDW's decision to close the clubs.

So, what am I to do? An avid lover of Pleasure Island; do I book a flight over September long weekend, spend $2500 (for 2 people) and enjoy it while it lasts? If I was able to book holidays I would however I just started a new job a while ago and am not entitled to holidays yet. I along with several hundred other guests am saddened by this news. It's the end of what was always a stellar part of my WDW vacation.

It won’t stop me from going to WDW. I’ll always go back to WDW as much as possible…but there will always be “that one thing missing” from my vacation now. That experience is Pleasure Island.

Pleasure Island will be remembered for many as having good times and great memories..and sadly, that's all it'll have to offer after September 28, 2008.

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful news and way overdue. PI has been going downhill for many years and had pretty much become nothing but a place for local teens to kill a couple hours. It's understood that this was a place for adults but still you expected to see a little Disney magic, and it had absolutely none of it. I probably haven't been down there my last 8 to 10 visits because in the past all I ever saw were a bunch of kids running around bumping in to adults, bouncing basketballs, and riding skateboards. Whether things had improved the last few years when they made changes to the way you paid I have no idea as I simply quit going, but it appears not if they have made the decision to scrap it. I had personally sent no less than three emails to Disney voicing my displeasure on what PI had become.

In my opinion “Good Riddance!”. I won’t miss it one iota and look forward with great anticipation with whatever changes they make to the new PI.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Awww...that's where I spent my 21st birthday! But despite having a few good memories at PI, I am happy for the change. It needs it. I went to PI a few months ago and it was dead and it had a dark feel to it. I will be sad to see the clubs go because I look forward to doing stuff late at night (I am a 20-something with no kids) but PI was becoming unfriendly. I just hope they put in places that will make up for the lack of adult atmosphere by having restaurants with a good theme to hang out and have a few drinks, like the giant bowling alley I have been hearing rumors about. If that is the case then I look forward to the change.

My condolences go to the cast members that are losing their job. There are some truly talented people at the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club. Hopefully they will get moved to a place where their talent can shine just as well.
    şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş şOş
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

The crowd there always seemed really young to me.
    The first time we went there I was only 36 without a gray hair in my scalp.
    As soon as I went through the turnstiles I felt must have turned as old as Burt Lancaster in Field of Dreams.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmm..

I'm really torn on this. I can see why Disney would want to revamp PI all together. In agreeance with several other posters, PI seems to have become the spot for local teens to hang out and loiter, and the last time I was there I really didn't feel safe. I never understood why they stopped charging admission at the gate instead of when you entered a club- you are basically inviting every person who has no intention of spending $$ in your establishments to just hang around. It would be like letting everyone into MK and just charging for the rides.

On the other hand, I have had some wonderful times at PI, and like several others have mentioned, I too will miss the Adventurers club. It's going to be strange to have PI completely different, but all in all I'm looking forward to finding out what they have up thier sleeves.
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

i am disappointed w/decision to close PI, i enjoyed PI a lot, especially comedy club, motion, bet and 8trax, it was a fun thing to do at night in addition to late extra magic hours at mk or boardwalk

disney doesnt need anymore shopping, i am not a big shopper anyways

looks like i have no reason to go to DTD anymore
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    disney doesnt need anymore shopping, i am not a big shopper anyways

looks like i have no reason to go to DTD anymore
    I'm with you. Are there people who don't go to DTD because of a lack of dining and shopping options? Won't this just canabalize the already exisiting shops and restuarants?
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    last time i checked.....you had to be 21 to get into the adventurer's club.....

something change?
    As previously mentioned, kids can get in earlier in the evening. Not to mention, most of my "kids" would be adults by the time we went again. They'll always be my little ones to me though.

I also wanted to try the Comedy Warehouse on the next trip. That would be DH's atmosphere.

I must've gone at a good time too. I don't recall any hooligans hanging around. I was bothered by the teenagers at Night of Joy though. Go figure!
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    way off topic, I know, but...

I have ALWAYS wanted to do this!!
    I totally know what you mean, but the only way I knew of to get on the Good Year Blimp is through an invitation or contest or through an organization like Make-a-wish (the Good Year Blimp is considered a goodwill embassador so they are quite charitable company). In my case, I won an essay contest on the radio, it was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Keep on trying you might get a ride in the G.Y.B. someday!

(Sorry for the off-topic comments, just had to respond)
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waterparks and Less.

Only the Walt Disney Company would tell us they're closing the Adventurer's Club and replacing it with another store or restaurant because, "We're listening to our guests. They want more stores and restaurants."

So will they include new ways to use "plus visits" in the refurb? Why am I guessing "No."?

People who believe the Disney Company does eveything they do because they like us have inhaled way too much pixie dust.
    Last edited by Ian; 06-30-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Only the Walt Disney Company would tell us they're closing the Adventurer's Club and replacing it with another store or restaurant because, "We're listening to our guests. They want more stores and restaurants."

So will they include new ways to use "plus visits" in the refurb? Why am I guessing "No."?

People who believe the Disney Company does eveything they do because they like us have inhaled way too much pixie dust.
    I am guessing these are the same guests that wanted tips excluded from the dining plan and pay them out of pocket
    Last edited by Ian; 06-30-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Shopping on the West Side

Grandaughter loves the West Side. Now she will love it more. She loves to shop and eat. What a great concept!!
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: