Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

This story has been confirmed.

Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney
    Plans Include New and Enhanced Shopping, Dining and Other Experiences

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (June 27, 2008) – Walt Disney World Resort today unveiled a new vision for Downtown Disney, with extraordinary new shopping, dining and other experiences including a completely re-imagined Pleasure Island. Also planned are numerous enhancements to popular Downtown Disney locations, as well as additional theming and storytelling brought to life by Walt Disney Imagineers.

“We are committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at Walt Disney World Resort,” said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. “Our bold new vision for Downtown Disney reflects the feedback we receive from our guests each and every day and will enable us to continue to offer the high-quality entertainment that is our hallmark.”

Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests. Downtown Disney will even get its own iconic attraction, in the form of a giant, tethered balloon that will take guests 300 feet into the air to view the amazing vistas of Walt Disney World Resort. Other new experiences include:

· In fall 2008, guests will enter a world of prehistoric creatures at T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure. The dinosaur-themed family eatery will serve up pizzas, pastas, seafood and more, and will feature life-size animated dinosaurs that dwell among bubbling geysers, waterfalls and a fossil dig site.

· Also this fall, a design-your-own t-shirt store from Hanes will add to the growing collection of merchandise guests can personalize at Downtown Disney.

· E-brands Restaurants, an Orlando-based, multi-concept restaurant group, will premier its newest concept at Downtown Disney in spring 2009. The high-energy, casual eatery will feature authentic Central and South American cuisine, specialty drinks and live music along the waterfront.

Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years.

“Our guests tell us they want additional shopping and dining experiences at Downtown Disney,” added Lansberry. “We are currently considering a number of unique concepts from around the globe as we re-imagine Pleasure Island and look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months.”

To make way for the new offerings, all of the clubs currently on Pleasure Island will close on Sept. 27. Other locations on Pleasure Island , including Raglan Road , Fuego by Sosa Cigars, Curl by Sammy Duval, Orlando Harley-Davidson and outdoor food and beverage locations, will remain open during the transition.

To complement these new experiences, many popular Downtown Disney locations will undergo enhancements.

· Beginning this summer, Portobello Yacht Club will be transformed into a Tuscan Country Trattoria. The refreshed menu features authentic Italian dishes and signature favorites and a re-designed interior along with an outdoor dining space.

· This fall, Goofy’s Candy Company will add a special new room that will enable families to host one-of-a-kind birthday parties at Downtown Disney.

· The Marketplace Stage will be completely replaced with a larger, covered stage this fall to welcome even more entertainment to Downtown Disney and serve as a new premier venue for Disney Magic Music Days.

· Fulton’s Crab House will update its interior fixtures and furnishing and exterior in Spring 2009. The enhancements include a refreshed third floor deck dining area to offer additional Disney guests and larger private parties the traditional Fulton’s experience.

· Next year, Wolfgang Puck Café will update its interior fixtures and furnishings and will feature an enclosed glass patio offering guests a year-round outdoor dining experience.

These efforts come on the heels of recent enhancements at World of Disney, Wolfgang Puck Express, Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop, Earl of Sandwich and Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant.

####
    Last edited by John; 06-28-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of "make your own tees" at the Hanes store. But I hope they don't get rid of the prix-fix meal at Portobello! That is my fave meal at DD. Sigh.

WDW:
    1991 (offsite)
    2001 (POR)
    2005 (POFQ)
    2006 (1 day trip to Epcot)
    2010 (POFQ)
    2014 (offsite DTD/Epcot)
    2014 (Holiday trip - Beach Club)
    DL:
    1990 (offsite)
    2003 (Paradise Pier)
    2007 (Grand Californian)
    2012 (Grand Californian)
    DCL:
    2012 (2 night cruise from NYC!)

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool!

Thanks for passing this along John!

Post Thanks / Like

Out of all these enhancements, I hope an new and improved parking lot will come along on the Marketplace side of DTD! That thing is ALWAYS packed!

Thanks for the updates, John. I haven't been to th West Side or PI in decades, so this might be a good reason to stop by!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. In a way I look forward to seeing the enhancements, (as they call them) but I'll miss the Adventurers Club for the first time since 1989. I hope they don't mess with it or Mannequins too much!
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear of this. Ever since they took the paid turnstiles away from PI, it has become a not so disney friendly place. We were there last December in the evening and it was a bit scary some of the riff-raff that was hanging around. It freaked me out.

I can't wait to see the new changes.

On another note, I hope we will still be able to sit on our balcony at SSR and see the lights and listen to the music coming from PI. I really find that a nice way to end our busy day at a park.

Thanks, John, for the great information!!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info John!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is sooooo NOT COOL!!

Instead of doing the right thing, and charging admission to enter PI again, they are turning it into more shopping and food. Just what we need....more places to stuff our faces. There was an easy way to make it an enjoyable place again....get rid of the losers by charging admission. I know WDW is a family place, but we adults sans kids do like a little adult haven now and then.

Like someone else said, they better keep the parks open later to give us something to do at night now. I can't really afford to go to PI every night and blow money on junk.

I will terribly miss the AC. We didn't go during our last trip, and I really regretted it. Now, I regret it even more! How stupid were we?? Gee, so glad we bought the PI AP. Guess I gotta complain and get some money back. Like it will matter.....

DH and I just signed the petition to save the AC. I'm #1270, and he's #1267.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

Instead of doing the right thing, and charging admission to enter PI again, they are turning it into more shopping and food. Just what we need....more places to stuff our faces. There was an easy way to make it an enjoyable place again....get rid of the losers by charging admission. I know WDW is a family place, but we adults sans kids do like a little adult haven now and then.
    THANK YOU!!! Disney is one of the top honeymoon destinations in the country but for some reason there can't be a handful of places that cater that demographic. I guess this means more of my vacation dollar will go to places outside of disney property. I'd rather pay cabfare then buy more junk while I am on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay....call me a dork....but what is this 'Adventurers Club' ?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

I never could "get" the Adventurer's Club. We tried it a couple times and walked away wondering what it was that we missed. The funny thing is I know quite a few people that never "got" it either.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Where is this petition?
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    Where is this petition?
    I just PM'ed it to you.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Like someone else said, they better keep the parks open later to give us something to do at night now. I can't really afford to go to PI every night and blow money on junk.

I will terribly miss the AC. We didn't go during our last trip, and I really regretted it. Now, I regret it even more! How stupid were we?? Gee, so glad we bought the PI AP. Guess I gotta complain and get some money back. Like it will matter.....

Hear hear!

This is terrible news. Sure, something needed to be done about the dance clubs, and although I didn't desire it, they needed to add a country western venue (a la the Neon Armadillo)... but to remove the unique and wonderful Adventurer's Club and the fun improv Comedy Club and replace them with....a (are they serious) balloon , dino-themed Rainforest Cafe , and a make-your-own T-shirt store .... uuuuuugggh!
    Dec '88 - off site
    Dec '91 - off site
    Mar '93 - off site
    Dec '94 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '96 - All Star Sports
    Mar '98 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '01 - Dixie Landings
    May '04 - PORS
    May '06 - PORS
    Nov '08 - PORS
    Nov '10 - PORS
    Nov '12 - PORS
    Nov '14 - PORS
    Nov '16 - PORS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy4mickey View Post
    We were at the Adventurer's Club last night and it was confirmed that it's closing in September - the cast members found out yesterday, too. I sure wish we could save it - it's one of my favorite things at WDW - totally unique and very fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWreck View Post
    Here's a link I found to send questions/comments to Disney's Guest Relations...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...=ContactUsPage

(I know that Intercot generally doesn't allow the posting of links, but I thought this might be ok...)
    Rob

PS: I also posted this in the 'Save the Adventurer's Club petition' thread in the Nightlife, Shops & Water Parks section...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon1026 View Post
    Goodbye Adventurers Club.

Kungaloosh!

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Good info/good riddance PI! I wish they would turn it into a themed parking lot between West Side & Marketplace
    Last edited by Dixie Springs; 06-30-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to say this is an area that Universal got right, and Disney did not. The club's at City Walk are thriving and some of the most popluar in Orlando. Maybe Disney just gave up because of this?
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are we getting that Adventurer's Club is going away? I know it's closing in September, but do we have confirmation that it will not open again?
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i got a response to my email to Disney about PI etc

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Although we understand your disappointment with our recent announcement
    regarding the clubs on Pleasure Island, please know a tremendous amount
    of thought went into the decision to bring the bold new vision for
    Downtown Disney to life. Taking the Downtown Disney experience to the
    next level is consistent with our commitment to provide our Guests with
    new, exciting and one-of-a-kind experiences. As we look to the future,
    we are excited about the evolution that will occur over the next two
    years, introducing a brand new mix of shopping, dining and other
    experiences for our Guests' enjoyment.
    Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
    products and services, are very important to us. We genuinely
    appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,

Walt Disney World Resort "

Since I may not go to WDW for awhile after this trip, I may not see how it turns out.
    I have been considering stopping my vacation to WDW for a bit. Although I havent frequented PI since the changes, this just helps me in my decision.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM