Quantcast souvenirs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: souvenirs

Post Thanks / Like

Default souvenirs

My wife and I had this discussion when we were in the parks last year. We asked some friends and got divergent answers and we had some fun discussions about it.

When in WDW would you rather purchase a souvenir that you can bring home and it lasts a long time and brings back memories each time you view it or would you purchase something that is fleeting, like a "Princess makeover" at the BBB?

My wife and I saw some very adorable little girls coming out looking like their favorite princess. It would melt the coldest heart to see their expression. However, when we looked at the prices the first thing we said to each other is we would never do it, no matter how much our daughter (if we had one...) begged. And if we did give in, she would get that and nothing else. The parameters would be clear before getting it done and she would have to make a choice.

To us, it is more important to bring something tangible home with us that will bring memories. While a photo of the little girl is something to cherish, that isn't something the will continue to give joy when one gets home as something else would.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If we had a little girl, I'd pay any amount of $$ for the makeover, and take lots of pictures. Those kind of moments can never be recaptured.

We're older, the kids are grown, so we get things like shirts and keyrings. My DD wouldn't even dream of dressing up like a princess at 34.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

We've had this discussion many times in our house, and a couple of them revolved around BBB...since DD just turned 10, she's the perfect age to want a "makeover".

We're fans of the "get something that you'll remember and be able to enjoy for a long time" club. For example, on this last trip, we got a couple of character sketches from the Art of Disney, framed and personalized by the artist. They look great up in our house, and they bring back tons of memories every time we look at them

There are times when the experience is the memory, such as dinner at V&A's, or an Illuminations Cruise, etc...Disney is all about experiences and some of them are truly awesome, but BBB just isn't one of them for us. This isn't anything against BBB, we can't afford to do everything at Disney and this is something we chose not to do.

For the first time this past trip, DD had her own spending money, and it was amazing to watch how careful she was with what she bought, and she is enjoying what she got.

We also spend a fair bit, at Disney and once we get home on a trip scrapbook...again, it is something we love to look through again and again, so worth the money for us.

This is a great question though...I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting answers
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Experience for the win

For me wdw is all about the experience, but then I approach life the same way. We did bbb for the kids on the last trip for the p&p party and it was fantastic. I don't know if it was the party or the outfits, but they seemed to get extra attention from cast members all evening. Yeah, it was beyond my $$ comfort range, but they still get dressed up and play they're princesses at the world. As for souvenirs, DW ensures that they still got some. My favorite souvenir? My room key. It's still in my wallet. When I go after a card I'll see it and get a little rush of happy.
    March 2005 Coronado Springs
    April 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2007 Carribean Beach
    January 2008 All Star Sports

August 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

We did BBB this last trip. DDs are 5 and almost 4. they already had tehir outfits form this past halloween so we just did teh hair and make up. they earned tehir own money for this by doing lil chores and things around the house. as far as take home souveniers they still have their hair things and ask on a daily basis to have tehir done liek they did and I do it. it is so cute to see them with tehir hair done say at teh grocery store and teh attention they get there from shoppers. they also got regular souveniers with tehir left over money they earned. I was actually shocked at how cautious they were with the purchases.
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I do both. DH and I rarely buy souvenirs for ourselves because we really do not need more of that stuff. However, I like to splurge a little with the kids. They are never that age again and each trip is special in a different way. We don't go overboard and the kids certainly don't get everything they want, but I don't mind splurging on a special experience in addition to a few souvenirs. I guess the character meals are a good example. They can be expensive, but the experience makes it worth it. I just try to capture those memories with my camera so we can look back and remember all our fun times.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do both! The pictures from BBB will last forever - and much of the time be more sentimental in years to come than a mug, shirt, etc. would be. My kids are still little, but I'm a big fan of giving children a spending allowance and turning it into a learning experience. And if there are things they can't "afford" you can always get them on the sly and save them for a birthday or Christmas.
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post

My wife and I saw some very adorable little girls coming out looking like their favorite princess. It would melt the coldest heart to see their expression. However, when we looked at the prices the first thing we said to each other is we would never do it, no matter how much our daughter (if we had one...) begged. And if we did give in, she would get that and nothing else. The parameters would be clear before getting it done and she would have to make a choice.
    LOL ... thats all easier said than done when you dont have a cute, precious, little googley eyed girl staring up at you because nothing in the whole World is better than being a princess in their book and to parents - nothing is better than giving them that experience at least once.

I dont think we would do it every trip however. Besides the cost, things lose their appeal when it happens every time.

I also agree with what other posters said. Since we've been going to the World, the tangible souvenears that our daughter has gotten she has bought herself with either her allowance or now that she is 17 - with her own money from her job.

Now collectibles though... dont even get me started on that! I think its all we give each other now days for birthdays & christmas!
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

We did bbb for our dd's 4th birthday at WDW. We know she's only going to turn 4 once and we will more than likely never be at WDW again for her birthday, since she will start school soon. We do go to DL quite often, but probably wouldn't do it there just because we only go for a day or two and would hate to schedule the time out for that. Maybe for a special occassion or when my 2nd dd is old enough, we might do it again.

The one thing that got me about doing bbb was the reaction we got from everyone. Everyone commented on how cute she was and called her princess. It really made her light up. It made her birthday even more special.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

When we go in Oct, DD wil be almost 5 and we are doing BBB for her (while DS goes to DQ). We will buy souvenirs, too, but not a ton. The kids generally pick one or two small things, I get a charm and everyone gets a shirt before we leave. But I'll take the experience over the tangible any day.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a lot of Disney items that we have never used. So much so that I refer to our cedar closet in the basement as our back-stage storeroom. It has to be something really special before we'll buy it now.
    As far as BBB, yeah it is expensive but I'm sure that I won't mind springing for it for my grand daughter next year. It's really good to be Cameron.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MousePotato View Post
    For me wdw is all about the experience, but then I approach life the same way. We did bbb for the kids on the last trip for the p&p party and it was fantastic. I don't know if it was the party or the outfits, but they seemed to get extra attention from cast members all evening. Yeah, it was beyond my $$ comfort range, but they still get dressed up and play they're princesses at the world. As for souvenirs, DW ensures that they still got some. My favorite souvenir? My room key. It's still in my wallet. When I go after a card I'll see it and get a little rush of happy.
    I do the room key thing, too! I love when I accidentally pull it out looking for a card. A "little rush of happy" is a great way to describe it!
    We kind of do both. Many experiences are magical memories for a lifetime. Welcome aboard!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P