Quantcast Your Child Rode What ?!?!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Child Rode What ?!?!

We will be going to DW in june of next year. DD's will be 7 & 3. I've been reading on here about kids going on splash mountain and rnrc and tot and I can't believe it. I mean my kids have never been to dw or any other thrill park but I just thought they would be older before they rode those kind of rides. What rides did your kids ride at what age and did they love them or hate them??? I will be ecstatic if dd7 will be able to ride some of the thrill rides w/ me b/c dh is a chicken and would probably puke if I even asked him to ride tot or rnrc
    Thanks ahead of time for any tips
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DS always rode every ride as soon as he was tall enough.

DD is a different bird...rode ToT for first time on a band trip this past May at the ripe old age of 15...I suppose there is nothing like peer pressure to move you past your fears.
    Last edited by ChipnDaleGal; 05-27-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: TOS - skirting WDW rules

Post Thanks / Like

My DD is a thrill ride junkie. We took her on her first trip when she had just truned 4. She is very tall and made the height requirements for a lot of rides. That trip she went on everything but but RnR and TOT. She cried and cried that she was not tall enough to go on RnR. At 4 she loved Splash, Thunder, Space etc. EE was not opened at that time, but I know she would have loved that too. I felt completely safe with her going on these rides. I think you know your child best and have a good idea about what they might like/dislike. Work up to the bigger rides. Go on big thunder before going on spalsh. Go on splash before going on space etc. My DD has been going on RnR since she was 5 and loved it. Laughing hysterically wanting to go on it over and over again. Last trip when she was 6 she rode ToT and now that is her favorite ride. However she was so scared on the dinosaur ride at AK.

I wouldn't rule out thrill rides just because of a child's age. I am so glad that I let my DD try the "bigger" rides. Her trips to Disney have been much more magical because of it.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode TOT for the first time at the age of 29!

Sorry couldn't resist!

I have seen a 6 year old who rode some very scary rides, and loved them and I have seen a 12 year old in tears after TOT. I think it really depends on the child.

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to thrill rides:

At age 5, my son rode: ToT, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Test Track, Mission Space (easy)

Age age 6, my son rode: EE, TOT, Primevil Whirl, Dinosaur, Space Mountain, RnRR, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Test Track, Mission Space (easy)

Basically.....by age 6, he's been on EVERYTHING at the parks...literally. And loved it.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

It totally depends on your children, their temperaments, and what they are willing to try.

My DD went on everything as soon as she was tall enough, but she is pretty daring. You know your kids best- encourage them to try rides but never push it. If you want to see how they do on coasters, try Goofy's Barnstormer as a test and then move on to Thunder Mountain if that goes well!

FYI- my DD will go on all the coasters and loves them all. However, she HATES It's Tough To Be a Bug and doesn't really care for Dinosaur. Go figure! (And BTW, we didn't know she wouldn't like these until she was already on them! )

Mar 2017 ASMU
    2016 OKW
    2014 BCV
    2013 WLV
    2012 POFQ/ DCL!!
    2009 POFQ; Sept. DL
    2007 POFQ; Dec. DL
    2004-3X CSR, Pop Century, POFQ/Poly
    2002 YC
    1999 BW Villa
    1996 Dixie Landings
    1994 GF
    1992 & 93 CBR
    1989 GF
    1985-89 Lived in CA; many DL trips
    1971-1984 CR, Poly, & FW several times

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that I am not a big thrill ride person AT ALL- the fact that I get on these rides is a bigger feat than them! But on our last trip DD (then 4) and DS (then 6) rode Big Thunder and Splash Mountain - and loved every second. My mom and DS were sitting in the car in front of us on Big Thunder and DD (again, then 4) was screaming "Grandma lift up your head - look around! look around" and then would break into a fit of giggles (but she suddenly became afraid of POC this trip).

DS road Dinosaur but DD stayed in the Dig for that one. On our first trip when DS was 4 he and DH went on Test Track - and they both loved it.

I think alot of it depends on your child. Because I was not sure if the kids would like Splash Mt. we actually watched a ride video on you tube several times before we left to see if they wanted to go on it. This is one reason that DS rode Dinosaur and DD chose not to.

Both kids wanted to ride Everest - but were not big enough (darn ) They will have to wait for DH to go on that one with them.
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

Post Thanks / Like

At 7 my DD(13) was tall enough to ride everything. She loves the bigger faster rides. Her favorite at Disney is RnR coaster.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD was 5 getting ready to turn 6 last trip and she had been on everything except RRC...(too short)...She actually rode ToT and loved it...On the other hand I am 35 and will only go into the gift shop...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmjimmlm View Post
    My DD was 5 getting ready to turn 6 last trip and she had been on everything except RRC...(too short)...She actually rode ToT and loved it...On the other hand I am 35 and will only go into the gift shop...
    Me too and I'm 36. My Niece was 8 when she first rode RRC and ToT.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

DD5 has been into the thrill rides since she was tall enough to ride them...but we go to the boardwalk and a local theme park around here all the time, Six Flags once in a while, and we try to get to Hershey every summer. Her favorite rides at WDW include BTMRR and Splash, and I think she'll be tall enough for Space this September.

BUT she despises Snow White and it's tough to be a bug (I think she remembers them from our 2004 trip) and won't even let us LOOK at the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show LOL
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a rough idea on how they'll do by what they like now. Did your kids like it when dad swung them around by their hands when little? Or tossed them in the air? Do they like to go high on the swing? Do they like to climb up to the highest parts of the playground? Or go down the slide backward or head first if they can get away with it? If so, they may like thrill rides.

As for the Pirates, Dinosaur, It's tough to be a bug, etc type of attractions: Do they hide their eyes during the scarier parts of kids movies? Does watching people in danger frighten them? Do they sleep with a night light? If so, dark rides may make them nervous or frightened. Some of this can be resolved by carrying a small light.

If you can swing it this summer, take your kids to a fair or amusment park. I personally wouldn't want Disney to be my kids first experience with amusement rides. A Disney vacation costs too much money for me to go in not knowing how they'll react. Having been to a regular amusment park, you'll have that experience to compare Disney attractions to.

Also, if you can take in a 3-D movie before you go, that is a huge plus. You can find them at IMAX theaters and sometimes at regular theaters. A sci-fi 3D movie Journey to the Center of the Earth is coming out July 11th. Your older child might be up for that. Alternatively you can purchase a 3D book. These use the original 3D with the red and blue cardboard glasses. Disney's 3D is a bit more intense (in your face), but at least they'll have an understanding of what 3D is and that the images aren't really right in front of them.

Have fun getting ready for you trip.
    Goofy Texan

August 2010 AS-Movies • June 2008 Pop Century • June 2006 AS-Movies
    May 2002 POR • May 2000 AS-Music • May 1998 AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

4 kids:

Last year-- 9, 7. & 6 yo went on TofT and hated it. 9&6 yo went on EE and SM and loved it. They all went on EVERYTHING else.

This year - the 4 yo (pervious not in the mix with height) went on ToT 3 times; none of the other kids would go on it again. Only the 10yo. like EE and SM was a huge hit the (now) 8yo.

Each kid is different. Don't put on anyone who is scared and/nervous. Nothing worse (and you actually see it) parents putting on crying kids to rides. DD (10yr. LOVED Rockroller coaster...as did DH and myself--best coaster and ride (although short) at DW...it is all about the height, which I doubt many 7 yo will be!)

BTW: Test Track....Fun....real fun....not even remotely scary! Star Wars....a blast...only motion sickness an issue for those who get car sick.

Have fun....but don't push any kid on anything they aren't excited about.!

Have a great Trip!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posts. It all depends on the child. We have 2 boys who are very adventurous. My DS9 started riding rollercoasters at our State Fair and Six Flags at 2 years old. We are really tall so he met the height requirements. My DS5 is a little more cautious, but last year he rode EVERYTHING but RnRC (it was closed for refurbishment) and Dinosaur ride. He particularly loved...Space Mountain, Mission Space, EE, and ToT. You will know what your child is "ready" to try. I agree you should not force them on anything.
    Multiple wonderful trips; Next June 2012
    "All it takes is faith and trust...and just a little bit of pixie dust."

Post Thanks / Like

Its not about age, but, rather maturity, tolerance for heights, speed, the dark, etc. My 14 year old was riding coasters at 5. My 8 year old wont get on them at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Our 1st family trip was in 2004 with 3 kids 5, 8, 11 they rode everything they could. The 5 yr old was hesitant on TOT but, we kept insisting just once and never again if she didn't like. Well, after the 1st time she was hooked. The only ride she couldn't do was RRC (height) and this past yr she finally grew enough to ride for the 1st time at 8 yrs old. It really depends on your childs maturity & tolerance for other rides.
    Dinosaur is scary and if being scared is an issue stay clear it may turn them off of everything.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

My 5 yo will be able to try many things for the first time this year. We're going to let her go on anything she meets requirements for and wants to go on. We've also been watching the planning DVD and lots of travel channel shows and internet videos so she knows what to expect.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

My kids rode splash mountain for the first time last year. They had just turned 4 the week we were there. They LOVED it. This year they want to try tot and some others that we felt they would be too scared on last year.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My 4 yr old rode everything she could..she said she wanted a splash mountain in her yard..lol!! she rode everything in MK, exept space mountain. It was too crowded..but she is a daredevil, and very tall for her age!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love it

My DD was 5 when we first went. Her favorite ride was ToT. I remember before we went on Space Mtn. we rode TTA so she could see the inside. I told her all about it, how it's dark and I won't be able to sit right with her. She totally did not care. I made her sit in the middle between myself and DH, so I could hold on to her shoulder at least to comfort her. Well, so much for that! As soon as we got off, she wanted to ride it again, this time in the front seat! So, yes, it depends on your child for sure.
    "Wind the frog!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: