Quantcast When are the best crowded times to visit?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default When are the best crowded times to visit?

If you look on the INFO CENTRAL secion, at the "Crowds - when to visit" page, you'll see that the best time to visit are basically times when school is in session, and the worst/most crowded times to visit are when schools are out for some sort of holiday.

Taking that into consideration, many of us have children in school, work in school systems, or have some other ties that mean the only real times we can visit are those times when Disney is historically the most crowded.

So, of those crowded times, when are the best ones to visit?
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lovin' the Christmas crowds

We've been during Christmas twice. The first visit, we arrived on December 26th and left January 2nd. The other, we arrived a couple of days before Christmas and left on the 30th. We loved it!! The parks and resorts were decorated so beautiful, I can't wait to go back!

Also, we visited over the 4th of July week. It was great then too. We did water parks only! We are from Northwest Florida and know how hot & humid it can get, but it was particularly hot & humid that week. I won't say we will never visit for 4th of July again. But if we do, we will plan dinners a little later in the evening and drive our own car instead of using the busses.
    Last edited by grumpypima; 05-26-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: addition
    ASSp, ASMovies, POP
    CSR, POR, CBR
    WL, YC/BC

Post Thanks / Like

If it makes you feel better, the parks are pretty much crowded year round now. Some times are more than others, but there's not an "empty" time any more. Good times are early June (as soon as the kids get out), your spring break (as long as it's not near Easter), and, if you get Mardi Gras out of work/school in Mobile that can be a good time to go.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We visited during Thanksgiving week last year and it was one of our best trips ever. We arrived the Thursday night before Thanksgiving and left the Saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving. We would be going back again this year, but DH has other travel obligations. However, without a doubt we will be headed back Thanksgiving of 2009! Can't wait.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the parks are pretty much crowded year round now. Some times are more than others, but there's not an "empty" time any more. Good times are early June (as soon as the kids get out), your spring break (as long as it's not near Easter), and, if you get Mardi Gras out of work/school in Mobile that can be a good time to go.
    Yeah, Mardi Gras is definitely what we're thinking.

And hey to you from down south, and WAR EAGLE!
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that most of the year is probably busy but we have been in late August and it was great (low crowds) and during our April break which is fine as well. When you know the parks well and have lots of information, you can get around just about any time of year! I think many, many people pull their kids out for trips and those of us that don't are in the minority. So, those school vacation weeks may not be as bad as you might read!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    And hey to you from down south, and WAR EAGLE!
    I have to respond with a "Roll Tide!!!" or DW (a UA alumnus) would kill me.

Just got back from Mobile, BTW. We had a hurricane preparedness conference there last week. Good info.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

New Years...we did it last year and have kind of settled on doing news year at WDW for a while...yes, the crowds are bad on new years eve...but you still get to enjoy the Christmas decoration, you get to see DHS fireworks, celebrate the new year at the happiest place on earth, and if you can hang around a few days after JAn 1st before your school crnaks back up...enjoy both low rates and lower attendance for a day or two.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I are both teachers (on a traditional schedule). For a long vacation, we can only do summer. We're hoping that mid August is the best time to go in the summer -- it's Value season and according to a popular crowd calendar website, should be less crowded than July. Seeing that southern schools are back in session at the beginning of August, that should help with the crowds. We can't afford the airfare in Feb and won't go during Easter or Christmas.

Although, this year our spring break was the third week of April and Easter was in March. That would have been a good time to go, I bet... somewhat lower crowds and beautiful weather.

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    Although, this year our spring break was the third week of April and Easter was in March. That would have been a good time to go, I bet... somewhat lower crowds and beautiful weather.

TikiG
    It was a good week to go. Next year our break (and it looks like yours, too) is the week after the week after Easter. Crowds are a 10 at the beginning of the week but we're still going. You can google and find Easter dates for the next few years; you should try April when Easter is in March again!!!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

My family has always had to go during school vacations--my parents both work in schools and I was a teacher for awhile. No matter how crowded it is when you go, if you are willing to get up early, stay late, and go home and take naps or play at the pool in the afternoon, it's manageable. You just have to be wise about it.

We usually go during Christmas and have a wonderful time.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great question. We have always gone at the end of oct. into early nov. and pulled our girls out of school. This nov. will be our last time being able to do this because the year after that older DD will be going in to high school and it will just be too stressful for her. I always said I could never do Disney in the summer because of the heat but I have to admit the idea of no Disney is worse than Disney in the summer heat. We have also considered going Thanksgiving week because the kids only have 1 and a half days that week so they could miss that no problem.
    Thanks to all of you for making it sound not quite so bad.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I live across the bay from you. I really liked going the week-end before Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas but I usually have to work around the school calendar. So...when I can, I like to go the week after Memorial Day or the first week in June. It's hot but not July/August hot and it's not as crowded in my opinion.
    But I agree with a previous poster that there don't seem to be too many slow times at Disney anymore.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I am a teacher so have to go either during the summer or holidays. My family members prefer driving down which takes us 2 days. I have gone Thanksgiving week and spring breaks many times. The weather is great, but I feel rushed and have no vacation left to do anything around the house when I return. Plus I have college age kids going now and they tell me that they usually have papers to do during Thanksgiving and Spring Break so would rather go during a longer holiday when their school is out. Last year we were there Dec 26 through Jan 2. We loved it, but I got a little tired of Christmas music around the parks. Even the Voices of Liberty sing Christmas songs and I really love their tradition American songs more. I hope I don't sound like Ebenezer Scrooge! So while I loved going at Christmas, I want a change next time.
    My family and I are discussing summer for our 2009 trip, even though I swore back in 1994 (first and last summer trip!) that I would not go back that time of year because of the heat ( I live in Houston and you would think I would be used to the humidity, but I still hate being in it). So my family and are debating whether to go in July or Aug (I teach summer school during the entire month of June so that month is out) or if we want to wait and go at Christmas again.
    Crowd wise and money wise it sounds like August would be better. We are realy good at avoiding lines since we get to the parks early, use fast passes, take a midday break, and then go back and stay late so maybe I could survive a summer trip . Last summer trip I stayed at the parks all day without a break. I am older now and have learned that is not the best thing, no matter what time of year.
    I really don't think I can wait till December. I am too anxious to go again!
    I have been checking the discussion board to find out if people are really enjoying their summer trips, despite the heat. But then I rememberthat it is Disneyworld. How could you not have a great time?
    June 1975 offsite
    Sept 1977 offsite
    June 1985 offsite
    March 1990 Fort Wilderness
    June 1994 Caribbean Beach
    March 1996 Allstar Sports
    March 1998 Allstar Movies
    March 2001 Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2004 Pop Century
    Dec 2007 Pop Century
    Nov 2010 POFQ
    next trip June 2012 ASM