Quantcast Boarding Process

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boarding Process

We are set to sail in just a few days. I feel like we are mostly prepared...primarily due to the wealth of information found here. Thanks again to all who share their wisdom with those of us who are new to Disney cruising.

The part that still has me nervous is the check in process. Our group is traveling by car, two actually. We are staying at a hotel near the port who lets you park there for free while on the cruise.

My plan is to take the wife, two kids (2 & 5), parents, sister-in-law, and two nephews (3 & 6) over in the cars, drop them off along with the luggage, and my brother and I go park the cars at the hotel. We'll take a cab or the hotel shuttle back over to the port.

What happens after that? Does my family wait in the terminal with the luggage until we catch up with them? Are there check in things they can do before we get there? They'll have more luggage than they can handle by themselves and four young children to keep up with so I don't anticipate they'll be able to do much more than hold pat until we get back. I understand that the terminal has some fun stuff like TVs, characters, and a ship model. Is that stuff that the moms can easily do with the kids while the grandparents guard the luggage?

I would feel more settled if I could prepare everyone for what to expect so they aren't overwhelmed with luggage, kids, lines, crowds, etc. without me and my brother around to help.

Any help is appreciated.

tr

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't all of you just take the shuttle over together and leave the cars parked at the hotel. Maybe I'm missing something??? I know it's been a while but I don't remember any activities for the kids to do at the terminal.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The shuttle is $6 per person. We stand to save $48 dropping eight of us off at the port.

tr

Post Thanks / Like

Ok that makes sense. When we last went my husband dropped us off at the front "door" of the terminal and went acrossed the street to park the car. We just waited for him inside which only took about 5 mins. There is plenty of room to wait inside and if the kids get tired they can sit on the floor off to the side. It's been 4 years since I was in that terminal so maybe things have changed but there really weren't any activies for the kids. There may have been TV's hanging from the walls but I really don't remember. The boarding process was very smooth and quick so we got on the ship right away so we could eat.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back a couple weeks ago. We were dropped out off front with all of our luggage. They checked in all of our luggage right at the curb and then we proceeded to go to the terminal. Before heading inside, DCL checked our id and we were on our way. They had televisions inside for the kids. We brought some snacks and everyone hung out by the tvs. We then went and checked our kids into the Oceanneer's Club in the terminal and then before you knew it...Mickey and the gang arrived for photos with the kids. It all went by very fast. We got there around 10:30ish and we were boarding by 11:45. The check in process is so easy with DCL!
    1970's Two Stays Contemporary Resort
    5/03 All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/06 Polynesian/Disney Wonder Cruise
    5/08 Polynesian/Disney Wonder Cruise
    8/10 Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

All your checked luggage can be taken care of right when you drop off the family. Just make sure you have the tags on everything and porters will be right there to take it away. They will have to handle their own carry on luggage.

Basically, when you drop them off, the porters will take the checked baggage. Your family will proceed a little further down the sidewalk and get verified by Disney staff against the cruise passenger list. From there, they'll head to the terminal and pass through security (very similar to what happens at the airport). Carry on luggage is put on the belt for screening and they all pass through the metal detector. Upstairs, there's not a ton to do, but there are seats, televisions, a ships model and they can go out onto the balcony and watch the ship being loaded. Closer to boarding, some characters will come out for pictures.

We've always checked in together, so I'm not sure what the policy is on that. They may need to wait until you get back for the check-in process. Once that is done, you get all your stateroom keys, dinner rotation/table assignment and your first navigator. You're also given a boarding pass with a number on it and you just sit back and relax until your number is called.

If you want to make any changes to your dining rotation or dinner time, you can do that onboard.

I would just be sure to have anything you need in your carry on luggage (bathing suits, medication, suntan lotion, etc.). Chances are, you will not get into your stateroom before 1:30pm and you may not get your luggage until closer to 5pm. My kids ate quickly and spent the rest of the day by the pool. We just got changed in the bathroom.

I hope it's an amazing trip for you and please fill us in when you get back.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Since others have answered your other questions, I will answer the check in question.

From what I understand and have read, one person can check in everyone, as long you have their ID with BC or passport. This is what I've read, so I haven't experienced it myself. This all comes from personal accounts of other people.

So, you can drop off the group with their luggage for the porters (tag your bag!), have them go on in to check in. Since we go through the Hyatt, I'm not sure you need an ID before coming into the terminal. Maybe Tammi can answer that. If you do need an ID, and you only have your birth certificate (no passport), that can be your problem. If you don't need an ID or you have your passport, you're good to go!

You will go through security and head upstairs and check in. After you check in, you'll get a boarding number, then all you have to do is wait! You can go outside and look at the ship (note, this is the smoking area), theres one or two TVs that show cartoons, there's a DVC rep (same one on the ship), the model, every so often, characters will come out and they will take pics. The photog's from the ship are there, and those pictures will be available for purchase on the ship (no obligation to buy), if you choose. The handler CM will also take a picture with your camera. The floor is also a map of the areas that DCL sails, so that might be fun to find. I would suggest a card or travel sized game for the kids. They might get bored, especially if you arrive at terminal opening.

I am so excited for you! We leave for our trip in 29 days, and it will be the longest month of my life!!

Have a magical time!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR