Quantcast The Maelstrom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Maelstrom

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Maelstrom

What kind of ride is it? I know it involves a boat of some kind, but it is a river rapid sort of ride or a gentle ride? Also, how long is the ride and how popular is it?

I have never ridden it and I'm trying to find new things to do at Epcot.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a fairly gentle ride- there are two short drops, one forward and one backward but they're less intense than the one on POTC. It's about 2-3 mins and has a 10-15 min film following. You can skip the film but if your boat arrives right after the film has started you have to wait until that show's over before you can walk through. I've never seen the line be more than 45 mins, and they have a fastpass.
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part this is a gentle ride (the lack of restraints and bench seats is the give away) but there is a fairly significant jolt before the second waterfall. At that point are going backward and come to an abrupt stop so the boat can be repositioned. For some reason this always gets my back, not badly but gives it a good twinge.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Oh DH & I just love this attraction! The ride has been described very well in previous posts, but adding to that, DS's were so scared of the troll when they were younger! Of course youngest was only 4 for our 1st visit! Now they love it too! I could ride this one over & over!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids hate the troll. We went on this ride one time. That was IT! They are older now and still refuse to go on and see that troll again. Silly kids, they go on everything else, but I guess the troll is too much to handle!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

The ride is pretty smooth for the most part. 2 Short drops, but not bad at all.
    This is one of my wife's favorites rides, and my son loves the trolls, especially the one in the shop after the ride.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

my favorite attraction in world showcase, its a pretty tamed ride with a few small drops, none close to splash mountain drops, waits are usually long for it but it does have fast past, i usually skip the video at the end because ive seen it a number of times
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never ridden this ride because drops freak me out! But Id like to. I can handle POTC though - so just to clarify - the drops are NOT as intense as POTC? (I know I know... POTC drop isnt intense but Im a sissy and thats about all I can tolerate). Ive only ridden splash one time because of that drop!!
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

We really like this ride! If you are nervous about a ride that drops, the beginning part may scare you because the boat goes up, up, up, and you think "eventually we have to go down!"
    But the down part is a piece of cake. Like POTC.
    It's a short ride, but worth a bit of a wait in line.

On a side note - didn't the boat usually go farther out towards the waterfall? Or is it just my imagination?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    My kids hate the troll. We went on this ride one time. That was IT! They are older now and still refuse to go on and see that troll again. Silly kids, they go on everything else, but I guess the troll is too much to handle!
    I forgot about those trolls....when I was 4 I went on it and got scared of the troll that comes out of the ground....didn't ride again till I was 15
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    Oh DH & I just love this attraction! The ride has been described very well in previous posts, but adding to that, DS's were so scared of the troll when they were younger! Of course youngest was only 4 for our 1st visit! Now they love it too! I could ride this one over & over!
    Heck, I was scared of the troll the first time!

Great ride though, I highly recommend it.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Does the troll jump out scary like ? Like the dinosaur on Dinosaur?? LOL Im such a chicken.. Im starting to embarrass myself
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, it just has a really big head and eyes that follow you. Very Mike W. come to think of it. Definitely no scarier than an HM sort of thing.

I find this ride very charming (since I love the myths) and a nice rest from the outside. The jerk of the boat someone mentioned is startling but once you realize what it is, it's fine.

And the drop is no more than POTC - it's very slight.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

OK ! Yall have talked me into and chalk it up to yet another "first time" after 20 something trips to the World!! Is there a tshirt in the gift shop that says "I survived Maelstrom!" LOL

Hey! Cut me some slack.. I DID ride Goofys Barnstormer

Post Thanks / Like

We love the ride but after seeing the movie so many times we now skip it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

HAHA-I also collect "I survived...." things.

But this ride is really not at all scary, except maybe to young kids, and the drops are the same as POTC.

I've taken my kids on this since they were really young, and just snuggled up with them(it is very dark), and helped to cover their eyes to keep from seeing the trolls...

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like my type of ride. I can't believe I've never been on it after so many trips. But hey can't fit everything in one or mutiple trips.

Thanks so much for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhoFramedLGraves View Post
    It sounds like my type of ride. I can't believe I've never been on it after so many trips. But hey can't fit everything in one or mutiple trips.

Thanks so much for the info.
    you and me both! When are you going? Maybe we'll be first timers together

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fun ride, but two things:

1) I always skip the movie. You can just sneak out by scooting right through the theater.

2) This is one of the worst queues in all The World. I will not wait if stand-by is longer than 5 minutes. It's worth the Fastpass. The queue is very humid and claustrophobic to me. ( I don't mind SM, PoTC or any other one, but this one bugs me, for some reason.)
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone mentioned that it's a norwegian history tour from the time when the vikings sailed the oceans to current times ? That's where the trolls come in. The most I've waited on this ride was about 20 minutes.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: