Quantcast Just how intense is Everest???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just how intense is Everest???

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how "intense" you would rate Everest. I desperately want to give it a go because it sounds so amazing, but I do get motion sickness from time to time if the ride is REALLY crazy.... I love ToT, which does not bother me, and I've done RnRC once and have declined to do it again because that's about my threshold.... it didn't make me ill, but it was about as much as I wanted to handle. Thanks for the advice!
    1998 CSR with family
    2000 DLR with family
    2002 CSR with family
    2004 WL grand gathering
    2006 day trip with boyfriend day after Christmas
    2008 BWI with family and boyfriend
    2009 21st B-day in Epcot with an assortment of family and friends :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can handle Rock and roll you can handle Everest. I think it is just a little faster and rougher than Big Thunder, but not quite as fast as Rock and roll. I really enjoy it but do not get motion sickness. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it isn't as intense at RNC, the only part that may bother you is the portion that goes backwwards.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

This attraction is nowhere near as intense as RnR. I would say that it compares with BTMRR or SM. The only thing that you need to know, especially due to your motion sickness is that it does go backwards for a decent amount of time.

I say give it a try once. If you decide that it is not for you, then at least you know. Really this is not all that intense of a coaster.

Enjoy!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

i agree if you can do big thunder mountain then you should be fine its as said a little faster but the scenery is amazing i think the best is when you reach the point where it stops and you can see close to the whole disney area what a view and there is no loops so if you did RNR you shouldn't have any problem i know i can't do TOT but can do EE ,TOT will give me motion sickness so i say go for it
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! I would ride everest again but I'm not to sure about rnrc.
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it's not as intense as RNRC. I did that for the first time last trip, and I really liked it, but I don't think I'll do it again. However, I'll definitely do EE again. Fun and thrilling, but not over-the-top.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter did get sick after riding it, BUT we rode it 3 times in a row. All the changing from forwards to backwards is what did it. If you are prone to motion sickness, maybe you should take some no drowsy formula Dramamine or something like that. You definately should ride it though, if you can. It is pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, if you handled RnRc without getting sick you can handle EE. I would put it somewhat beyond BTMRR but quite a bit short of RnRc for intensity. The only difference is going backwards for a short period and the ride in total is a bit on the short side, but it is worth the try.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where everyone is getting that EE is like BTMR only a little faster. For Comaparison from the rollercoaster database

BTMR top speed 36 mph
    EE top speed 50 mph
    Rn'R top speed 57 mph, 3 inversions.

I would guess what caused your motion sickness was the inversions, but consider this before you ride EE. A portion of the ride is backwards in the dark, and can be disorienting.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that it's extremelly intense. I would compare it to a more intense version of BTMRR except it also goes backwards. My sis is scared of coasters somewhat and was really worried about this one, but once she did it she loved it! Not to worry, you should be fine if you can handle BTMRR, Space Mntn, etc. Go for it and enjoy!
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get motion sickness on roller coasters but have experienced motion sickness on Star Tours (go figure!). Anyway, I've ridden EE several times and never had a problem until I rode it 4 times in a row in about 45 minutes. After the 4th time, I felt a little weird but I got over it pretty quickly.
    My DH can't even watch rides like Dumbo and Aladin's Magic carpets because he gets motion sickness so easily. He rode EE once and won't ride it again. The backwards part didn't agree with him at all. He felt sick for about 30 minutes after he rode it. So now he knows he can't go on rides that go backwards or in circles.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

While lots of fun....EE is not an extreme ride experience like you get at some of the monster coasters at Busch Gardens and elsewhere(we rode the griffin in williamsburg earlier this spring and it was insane)...however on EE you do go backwards in the dark which does cause a degree of nausea for some (including my DW on occasion).

What helps her on ride like this is to have a small piece of hard candy in her mouth (like a lifesaver)...we're not sure if its a concentration thing, or a blood sugar thing, but whatever it is...it works for her.

Hope it works out for you to ride...EE is great fun....pure Disney magic.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty wimpy, but I enjoyed EE. I found it less scary than TOT, a bit less scary than Space Mountain, more scary than BTMR. I don't get motion sick so don't know how that factors in. I felt like the backward part wasn't very long. For me the scary part of rides are the drops and on this ride they are curved which makes it less intense for me.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

You pull some pretty good g forces when you go backwards. You have to try it.EE is probably the most detailed of all rides in WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

its wayy more intense then BTMRR i would honestly compare it more to space mountain but it goes backwards and much higher drops! i love it though, its my favorite!
    Disney World
    My home away from home

Last Trip: ESPN Weekend 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

In my personal opinion (and also my wife's) EE is the most intense ride at WDW. Once again, just my opinion, but more intense than RnR.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like huge drops and roller coasters on a whole...but I LOVE EE...I would caution you NOT to close your eyes while the coaster is going backwards...concentrate on the seat in front of you in you don't want to look around at the great theming...the biggest drop (which isn't too bad) is right after the stop after you've gone backwards...give it a try...you'll probably do just fine...it's my favorite ride at Disneyworld.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like roller coasters at all and get motion sickness, too. But I'd do EE in a heartbeat again.

First, ask to be seated in the front row. You can anticipate what's coming (plus, you get an awesome view of the park).

Second, don't close your eyes. Try and visualize what's directly in front of you like someone else suggested.

Third, I tried ginger pills (you can find them at Walgreens, Walmart, etc). They're a natural supplement, didn't make me drowsy at all, but worked to alleviate my motion sickness, or prevent it all together. Someone on Intercot suggested it - worked perfectly!

Finally, try it at least once and then you'll know! (I should take my own advice since I have yet to ride ToT and RnR).
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't love thrill rides but I promised my kids I"d try Everest this past trip. I get awful motion sickness.....can't even swing on the swingset in the back yard! However, I was fine after Everest so I would say it isn't too intense. Actually, I remember thinking it ended just in time; that a bit longer and I would have started feeling sick. I would definitely try it once. I'll be doing it again on our next trip
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: