Quantcast First ever trip to WDW!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking First ever trip to WDW!!!

I am extremely excited that I am going to Disney for the first time ever on August 3rd!!

I am a bit nervous because I am Pooh sized or slightly bigger and just a tad nervous! lol I have heard that the parks are very accomodating but you are always nervous until you live it out once! I am going with 6 other people and hope to have a great time! Any advice for a first timer??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Know you are not going to see everything and do not even try. This is because you will have to schedule another trip and other trips to here in the future. Do not rush beacause you will miss so much detail that it worth every minute of your vacation. Have fun and enjoy and know you will be back.

Post Thanks / Like

Because you are going with a group, I say don't obsess over staying together at all times. If you move at different places or have different interests, split up and meet up again later for meals or attractions that everyone likes.

Poke around this site for ideas of things you might enjoy that are a little off the beaten path.

Take advantage of PhotoPass photographers. they will take photos with your camera, too.

Don't ever worry about doing something (like meeting characters, etc) because you think you are too old - you're not.

And most of all - relax and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Take it slow, enjoy...oh and go to your left at Magic Kingdom i/o going right first thing in the morning...less crowds
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Get Lost In The Magic. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry on the plus size front. I suggest looking at all ears net at their World at Large section. There are reviews of all the rides. I am plus size (size 24 or 26) and I've never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Intercot is so great for pre-trip research and between-trip reading.

I'm a yo-yo-er and have been to WDW at a number of sizes (including Pooh!)-and I felt the same magic regardless of my size. WDW is VERY accomodating! I never had an issue on any attractions, including Mount Everest.

My one bit of advide would be to do what you can between now and your trip to prepare for lots and lots and LOTS of walking! I don't work-out as much as I used to, so a couple months ago, I returned to the gym and now take regular walks around our neighborhood. We've gotten the whole family involved and often walk together-pretending we're spead walking to Dumbo! By the time we go in Aug, I'm hoping my legs (and the rest of me) will be prepared for the miles and miles we'll travel in the WORLD!

Oh, and of course, find really, really comfortable shoes. Whatever works for you. Just don't make the mistake of buying new shoes for your trip. I did this one year and really regretted it.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

Take your time and enjoy the parks, the parks are full of surprises in every corner. I have been eight times and I still haven't seen everything. You will love it!!

Post Thanks / Like

to INTERCOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
    Because you are going with a group, I say don't obsess over staying together at all times. If you move at different places or have different interests, split up and meet up again later for meals or attractions that everyone likes.
    That is a really great tip. I've gone several times with large groups and I think at first a lot of us stuck together for fear of hurting each others feelings and some missed out on seeing things they really wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of Figment View Post
    Don't worry on the plus size front.
    I went with a girlfriend of mine in 2006 and she and her 2 girls are on the plus size side, there was never an issue even though they had had some issues at a local theme park with room on the rides.

Have a safe and magical trip!!!
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

This is kind of along the lines of what many have said, take the time to enjoy things you just happen upon. I saw some good street performances my last trip that if I was rushing off to keep a schedule I would have missed.
    Just like Eeyore, always loosin' my tail.

Post Thanks / Like

You will love it! The walking now idea is great. Break in your walking shoes and do Not bring new shoes to the park. I recommend buying the Unauthorized Guide to WDW and following their itineraries. At least try to get to the parks when they open and hit the popular rides first. Then you can relax and enjoy later knowing you won't miss your favorites. Make Advance Dining Reservations! Stay as long as you can!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be hot, so stay hydrated. Instead of coke and other sodas, order the pink lemonade. It satifies your thirst and hydrates better (and tastes good, too).

At Epcot, you can go into Club Cool and get free sodas from around the world. It's a nice place to cool off and get something free - the only thing of its kind at WDW.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Take plenty of breaks, and remember that you won't be able to do and see everything on your first trip. DH and I were there in December for 11 days/11 nights and we still didn't see and do everything!!!
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Stay as long as you can afford!! You get the most for your money with you do 7+ nights so do it right!! Also, staying 7 nights or more gives you the opportunity to not feel rushed and you can take mid-afternoon breaks to rest the feet and get away from the largest crowds.

Make sure that you make your ADRs asap!! Many people will say that it traps you in to a set schedule, but that is not such a bad thing. And, it can guarantee you time in the A/C!!

Have a great time and know that if you miss something, then you have an excuse to go back!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young@Heart View Post
    Intercot is so great for pre-trip research and between-trip reading.

I'm a yo-yo-er and have been to WDW at a number of sizes (including Pooh!)-and I felt the same magic regardless of my size. WDW is VERY accomodating! I never had an issue on any attractions, including Mount Everest.

My one bit of advide would be to do what you can between now and your trip to prepare for lots and lots and LOTS of walking! I don't work-out as much as I used to, so a couple months ago, I returned to the gym and now take regular walks around our neighborhood. We've gotten the whole family involved and often walk together-pretending we're spead walking to Dumbo! By the time we go in Aug, I'm hoping my legs (and the rest of me) will be prepared for the miles and miles we'll travel in the WORLD!

Oh, and of course, find really, really comfortable shoes. Whatever works for you. Just don't make the mistake of buying new shoes for your trip. I did this one year and really regretted it.
    Most definately take the advice of walking before going. That is the best advice to give any newbie to Disney. You don't realize how much you will walkmy youngest dd and myself the 1st yr we both nearly died of shin splints so, the 2nd yr we started walking about 2 months before going and walked about 3+miles everyday until our trip and our legs were fine the 2nd go around. Also, wear good comfy shoes with support and have extra dry socks that whisk water away to keep blisters from forming. And keep on researching on intercot!!
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

-don't rush yourself or feel bad if you missed anything (you can always return)
    -make ADR's now (if you don't make it on time, you don't make it but at least you are set if you do)
    -drink plenty of fluids and wear comfy shoes as there is lots of walking
    -don't sweat the small stuff, you are in WDW!!!!
    -use the fast pass
    -if you are staying at a WDW resort take advantage of the extra hours and the package delivery (best thing ever!!)
    -get the photopass, you will want lots of great pics for your first trip and they take really wonderful photos
    -don't miss the nighttime shows, MK fireworks, Epcot Illuminations and MGM Fantasmic, they are a must!!!

Hope you have a great time!!! We will be there in August as well!!!
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget sunblock and poncho even if its 100 degrees out
    Be very flexible, dont plan to the minute and prepare to change plans
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about being Pooh sized. Many of us are--including me! Definitely check out WDW at Large on allearsnet dot com (usually gets blocked when I type it correctly). It has information about ride vehicles and reviews from Pooh-sized WDW guests.

In addition to walking, walking, walking while breaking in two pairs of shoes, do some additional exercises for your knees and quadraceps if you have knee issues. Some of those seats are very low and require a bit of effort to exit. Entering is easy--just plop in the seat. You do have to think about how to exit if you have any knee/leg issues, though. Although I've visited WDW with various foot and leg injuries, last year I injured my quadraceps--both legs, of course!--two days before our visit. Never really thought about how much work those muscles do before! Couldn't even begin to go on most of the attractions. Had to brace myself to sit (couldn't even "plop") and lever myself out of every seat. Really should have cancelled, but enjoyed the time with my friends anyway.

Apart from the photos of ride vehicles on allearsnet, some of the attractions do have a ride vehicle stationed outside the attraction that you can view before entering the queue. And don't worry--even if you go through the queue to the ride and decide the vehicle isn't for you, you don't have to explain why you don't want to ride. Just ask for directions to the chicken exit!

Expect the weather to be hot and humid. I'm accustomed to heat (live in the Sonoran desert), but the humidity? Uh-uh, no way! *LOL* It really wiped me out, even with paying attention to hydration and slowing down considerably. Keep in mind that I went from a dew point of about 50 degrees (our version of humidity) to 100 degrees plus (when it rained). So listen to your body!

As others have mentioned, if you're staying at an official WDW resort, take advantage of EMH, particularly morning. Not that I manage that early in my trips, but usually can handle it toward the end after my internal clock adjusts. If you aren't staying on site, then plan to avoid EMH days.

Relax and enjoy the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pooh Sized

I am Pooh sized too and I agree that the only trouble you may have is that there is a lot of walking, I read the actual visitor walks 75 miles in a weeklong visit....try talking a daily walk several weeks before you go and of course, wear broken in comfortable shoes.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!!

thank you everyone for your wonderful advice!!!

I think I know half of this site off by heart now! lol I think the hardest will be the walking for me. I do have a back issue and even debating renting an EVC for the week. I am starting to try and walk now though so maybe I wont have to! Is there lots of benches or places to sit around the park?
    Also the photopass kinda confuses me....I am bringing a camera and LOVE to take pictures. Is the photopass really worth it? I take hundreds of pics myself. I don't know, just a thought??

But thanks again for the welcomes and advice. allears was a great site to see!!! I am sure I will have a blast, I am so excited already!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: