Quantcast Remember These? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember These?

Post Thanks / Like

Battle of the Network Stars and Circus of the Stars, c'mon y'all remember these fantastic ABC programs

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great post...bringing back some wonderful memories...how about:

-"GEM", she was truly, truly, truly outrageous
    -Romper Room? I was so excited when she would see me in the "magic mirror"
    -When a Polaroid Camera was the best thing around?
    -Ooooo...How about the shows "The New Zoo Review?" and the "Bananna Splits"
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

how about the Boston folks. Remember ZOOM. I still remember the zip code 02134!
    Creature double feature on Saturdays
    Did anyone else have the perfume making kits??
    I remember making perfume for my mother. PEEUUU.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a great thread. So many things have changed and not necessarily for the better. We really did spend so much time outside getting "Fresh" air and always had "Fun".
    I grew up with a wringer washing machine, can still remember ruining some clothes when I was younger and learning how to use it. We were probably the last family I knew to get an automatic washing machine. The dryer didn't come until years later and I would hang my jeans outside on the clothes line hoping that they would dry because I wanted to wear them.

Anyone remember "elephant" pants - the ones with really wide legs? I was in a store just tonight and they look like they might be coming back into style!

I remember buying the Intellivision game system and had many of the games. Burgertime and Atlantis were two of my favorites. Unless my DH got rid of it, we should still have it somewhere.
    I had a Chatty Cathy doll. She still lives on at my Mother's house, with a very bad haircut now though.
    The 5 cent bag of potatoe chips and the 10 cent chocolate bar. My 25 cents allowance would buy enough candy to last a week. Those candy cigarettes were the BEST. The little fireworks, about 2 1/2 inches long and what we called lady fingers. You could buy them at the corner store.

I am in Canada and we would walk home from school every day for lunch and watch Oogly Woogly with Miss Helen while eating lunch.

The push lawn mower with rotorary blades. We had one for our last house as we had next to no grass. A friend borrowed it 5 years ago and has now moved away and taken it with him.

Yes, water beds, they are the best. DH and I had one, but had to get a mattress due to his bad back. If it was up to me, we would still have a water bed. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. DS almost got a waterbed last spring, but finally decided on a "squishy" (his word) mattress instead.

We still have a couple of moving boxes full of albums and a turn table, but can't find a needle for the turn table. Keep thinking one day I will get all this music onto my computer. I also still have 8 track tapes and a 8 track player at my Mother's house, along with her old LPs (78s and 33s). Wow I even remember our first record player. An RCA, pick up the needle arm and place it on the record and when it was finished you would have to pick up the arm again and take it off.

After posting all of this, I feel like I must be ancient, but I am only in my 40s! Technology really is advancing so quickly.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trennedy View Post
    I had Romper stompers!! They were plastic things with a long string that you used to walk like stilts!! I loved those things!!
    omg. i had forgot about these...

I had such a crush on the girl that ran that show. I remember waiting a long time as a kid to meet her at a mall when I was little.

but yes, i had a pair of these. Yellow plastic cups with green long strings if my memory serves me correctly
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, I had no idea how old I really was...

Does anyone remember the original Lost In Space? We were just talking about that yesterday when the robot came up and delivered some medicine from pharmacy to our floor at the hospital. And yes, I do remember Zoom with the striped shirts. I just had to have a zoom shirt when I was 5. Also I can remember the first remote control we had for a television. It was a big box that was attached to the television with a cord so you could carry it around the room, but not too far. I can remember coming home from school on the schoolbus alone and was just fine for an 8/9 year old. Our first dishwasher was a roll across the floor model that hooked up to the sink. How about the push button radios in cars; the tupperware lunch boxes with the handles that wrapped up over the top and locked together; I still have my Mrs. Beasley and I have a Betsy Wetsy and Baby Alive. I have climbed huge magnolia trees barefoot, swam in the lake, drank from the water hose, used a "party line" on the telephone, worn jellies, had big hair, had permed (badly permed) hair, & worn parachute pants. How about being able to trick or treat by yourself? Oh and my first book bag was red and blue and had a flip top like a little brief case. My mom still has my Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls, our first Cabbage Patch Kids (the ones with the cloth faces). I also have my Dick & Jane books from 1973. There was nothing like Captain Kangaroo along with Mr. Greenjeans, drawing a place to play hop-scotch in the road. I had twister beads, a members only jacket, "trained" my hair, danced with the Solid Gold Dancers AND American Bandstand on Saturdays at noon (EST). Oh Gosh and Wolfman Jack on the radio? I still have somewhere my tic-tac-toe bean bag toss game, and my sit and spin. I guess that's why I love the teacups so much.

One of my boys asked me the other day how we played those "big cd's" while he was looking at some old 45's and LP's at my dad's house.

And btw, we were afraid to go to the principals office.

That was real fun back then.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jillluvsdisney View Post

How about this one; watching TV without a remote and getting up to change the channel. I remember the first TV we got with a remote.

Actually, my dad would lay on the family room floor within arm's reach of the TV!!

How about the metal WDW lunch box from the mid 70's? Mine is sitting on my computer desk bringing back all of those wonderful memories!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember the "Grow-Up Skipper" doll? You had to wind her arm backwards so that she would get taller and grow a bosom.

Sometimes I think I must have imagined it...

Amy

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

The Barbie townhouse where you used the pully to raise the elevator. The Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island and on saturday morning if you were in the Philadelphia area we had Captain Noah. A little later in our teen years how bout MTV and the original VJ's.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimenyfan View Post
    The Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island
    Weren't Charlie's Angel's and The Dukes of Hazzard on Tuesday's too or was it Wednesday's?? It was a highlight for me!
    trennedy

Go Cubs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amy-rella View Post
    The Snoopy/Peanuts snow cone maker, lite brite and rubix cube were the hottest gifts for christmas.
    I have my original Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine and Lite Brite, including a whole stack of the paper patterns. The colored pegs are still stored in a plastic toy version of one of those white Corningware dishes with the blue flowers, just like they were when I was little.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it Brady Bunch was followed by the Partridge Family on Saturday night, but on Sundays it was Wild Kingdom brought to you by Mutual of Omaha followed by the Wonderful World of Disney. We made our own halloween costumes: gypsy or hobo. How about those panasonic radios that were circular and you could wear them around your wrist or open it to let it sit on a table to listen to the Bay City Rollers or Disco Duck. Gauchos, painter's pants, oooh la la Sassoon, cowl necks with a big initial stick pin. A big comb in your back pocket and cherry lip gloss. Bubble Yum. The Bad News Bears. Waiting in long lines to see Star Wars the most amazing movie ever. There was only one and you had to actually go to the theater and pay, can you believe it, $2.50 each for a movie, my gosh it costs 10.00 to take a family to the movies!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Now you guys are making me sad, but it's a nice kind of sad. You made me think about watching TV with my Dad (I miss him)... #1 do not miss was The FBI ("starring Efram Zimbal as Junior"... no I don't think that's what they were saying). Also important were The Bold Ones and Mission Impossible and Red Skelton. Mannix and Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction (loved that water tower shot when I was about 12 and I suppose I still do )... and the one and only original Star Trek (Dad wasn't quite as hooked on it as I was).

The late 60's were a pretty rough time (every decade has its challenges- no one should ever think they had it or have it worse than some other generation), but we managed to enjoy life anyway.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I had Romper Stompers. I Love them!!! Walked all over the house with those......I loved watching Land of Lost. Sleeze stacks, that little monkey thing (can't remember name)............My grandmother still had the dishwasher you had to hook up to the sink - up to the day she died (2 yrs ago)............I had a Toss-a-cross. That was fun. How about Twister. Heck, we still have a Twister game...........How about the shows: CHiPs, the Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Hour.............Remember Shawn Cassidy & Leif Garrett?...........How about rollerskating to Disco music!! That was the best............How about music that "had a beat & you can dance to it.".......Ever have a manual typewriter? I wrote a 14 page short story on one of those. Single spaces and went edge to edge.........Remember the memory typewriters? I used that in High School. I even took a class in High School that taught you everything you needed to know about being a Secretary............My mom still has the record player that I got when I was 5 (I'm going to be 39).........Anyone have a Pet Rock? Didn't it even come in a carry box?.......Ever wear a pair of those wooden sandals? Ouch!! I hated those.
    So many ideas, so little time. I need a part-time job to support my craft habit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyAD View Post
    OMG, I had Romper Stompers. I Love them!!! Walked all over the house with those......I loved watching Land of Lost. Sleeze stacks, that little monkey thing (can't remember name)............My grandmother still had the dishwasher you had to hook up to the sink - up to the day she died (2 yrs ago)............I had a Toss-a-cross. That was fun. How about Twister. Heck, we still have a Twister game...........How about the shows: CHiPs, the Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Hour.............Remember Shawn Cassidy & Leif Garrett?...........How about rollerskating to Disco music!! That was the best............How about music that "had a beat & you can dance to it.".......Ever have a manual typewriter? I wrote a 14 page short story on one of those. Single spaces and went edge to edge.........Remember the memory typewriters? I used that in High School. I even took a class in High School that taught you everything you needed to know about being a Secretary............My mom still has the record player that I got when I was 5 (I'm going to be 39).........Anyone have a Pet Rock? Didn't it even come in a carry box?.......Ever wear a pair of those wooden sandals? Ouch!! I hated those.
    I took a class like in high school too!! Actually 2 years of it!! It was called Vocational Office Education! You even had the old flip "learn to type books" and used the adding machine for the accounting work!! Our computers were "mouse-less!!" LOL....

OH man, reading all of these brings back some fond memories and not so fond memories!

Anyone remember the "barrel" purses that had a unicorn on them and they came with a matching small change purse??? This would have been around 1980-1981-ish!

Captain Kangaroo!

The original Baby Alive doll that you had to pump the lever on the back to make her do her business!!!!

And I totally loved Fantasy Island and the Love Boat! My grandfather and I used to watch that every weekend together. God rest his soul...I really miss those times with him!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm younger than most of you...22... but many of the things you mentioned were still alive and well in this neck of the woods when I was growing up in the late 1980s and 90s....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsmom View Post
    How about the plastic on the furniture including keeping the plastic on the lamp shades.

And not that long ago...but when the TV was one of the biggest (and heaviest) pieces of furniture in the living room.
    People around here STILL leave plastic on the furniture. It's really rough in the summer when your legs are sticking to the sofa.
    Also I loved loved loved the old cabinet TVs.
    We had one until it blew about 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    Drinking from a hose..that would likely cause a major incident now!
    We always did it, and I still do it when I'm washing the car or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacon67 View Post
    How about riding in the "way back" of the station wagon, no seatbelts, hangin out the window pumpin your arm to get the semi truck drivers to honk.
    We would get the truck drivers to honk their horns on school bus trips. The bus would erupt in cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy-rella View Post
    How about candy cigarettes! With the red tips to look like the flame. *Gasp* How did we ever survive?
    These survived well into the mid-late 90s. I would ASSUME they are no longer sold but I haven't even looked to buy any in a decade so I can't be certain. They had them at corner stores.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimenyfan View Post
    on saturday morning if you were in the Philadelphia area we had Captain Noah. A little later in our teen years how bout MTV and the original VJ's.
    If you were in the Philadelphia area waaay back, you got to see Sally Starr,"Our Gal Sal", hosting the Popeye theater in the afternoons, and "Uncle" Pete Boyle hosting the Little Rascals show. Pete Boyle was father to Peter Boyle, who was the father on Everybody Loves Raymond.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the mall just yesterday and there was a new store called Flashback. Their specialty was all things popculture that were old, like the original Tie-dye shirts, metal lunchboxes, Jonny Quest mdse., etc. I wanted to go in, but the kids thought whyyyyyyyy, nooooooooo. And dinner was more interesting at that time anyway.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

They do still sell candy cigarettes.My Aunt lives in Arizona and brought a bunch to us when she came to visit last summer. They are not as good as I remember them, and my kids don't like the taste of them and never figure out that they were to look like the real one. ( which they really don't any more.)
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyAD View Post
    Anyone remember the original Weebles? The ones shaped like eggs.

YES!! The Weebles! That's back when they were little and a choking hazard but nobody cared! My mom still has my Weebles up in her attic. I had the playground with the swingset, slide, merry-go-round, etc. that went with the Weebles.

Have you seen how large the new Weebles are these days?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
    What a great post...bringing back some wonderful memories...how about:

-Romper Room? I was so excited when she would see me in the "magic mirror"
    -When a Polaroid Camera was the best thing around?
    Regarding Romper Room...I think I was about 3 years old when I sent in a drawing, and she saw me in her magic mirror!!! That was exciting!

Regarding the Polaroid Camera...I still have the 10th anniversary park map of Disney World, so it is from 1981. It is sponsored by Polaroid. That made me laugh when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post
    Does anyone remember the "Grow-Up Skipper" doll? You had to wind her arm backwards so that she would get taller and grow a bosom.

YES!!! I still have mine in a box of goodies in the attic. My DH laughed his head off when I showed him the Skipper doll.

Thinking about it now...I'm surprised that was on the market back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post

Anyone remember the "barrel" purses that had a unicorn on them and they came with a matching small change purse??? This would have been around 1980-1981-ish!

I don't know exactly what a barrel purse is, but in 1983, I remember having a purse with a wooden handle that you could change the cover of the purse out. The cloth covers buttoned to the handle and they were reversible. You were really preppy if you had a plaid one or pink and green one!

This thread is so awesome!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: