Quantcast Jury Duty on a tough case. Intense Issues warning

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jury Duty on a tough case. Intense Issues warning

Just finished serving on a jury. I just need to talk....its over we rendered a verdict on all charges...but it involved a minor & things unimaginable to some...
    I just hope that i was able to make a difference.
    Do you think it is ok to contact the Asst Da to thank her for prosecuting & to ask if she can convey best wishes to the victim & to keep me updated?
    Even though the verdict has been reached Im not sure I can post more about it here.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough one. I don't know what's appropriate. But I feel for you, Crow. My husband served on a brutal case last year and it put him through the wringer emotionally. Thank you for showing up and doing what you had to do. I'm scheduled for duty soon, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always glad to hear when someone does their jury duty....there's too many people that try to weasel out of it. My husband has been called twice in the past two years, (served once, dismissed the other) and you should hear people telling him how to get out of it!

Personally I would find approaching the DA a little strange now that everything is settled.

I hope that you find some peace from what you heard during your jury time. And whatever the minor involved endured, I hope they find peace and healing.
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm an attorney,I've been called for jury duty three times and served on two. (I knew the other parties too well in one civil case and thought they were both crooks, so kept myself off that one by saying I couldn't be impartial.)

Being a part of our justice system, I appreciate that you did serve on a jury. My wife was on a Federal jury not too long ago and it was hard on her too. The jury system is one of the privileges we have in this country thought, so thanks for doing your part to preserve it.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you with serving jury duty!!

Although your intentions are good, I honestly think it's very inappropriate convey best wishes to the victim. I think you would be violating the victim's right to privacy. The victim wasn't there to tell their story (or have their story told - whatever the case may be) just to have you, as a person, hear it. They were there to present facts about an incident to prosecute someone. This person has a right to tell their story in a secure environment... the courtroom. If you were to go beyond that, it just isn't right. It's not like this person just told you what happened. You were a juror, there's a duty of confidentiality and essentially anonymity to uphold, this even applies as to the victim.

I know you want the best for the person and I know it's hard to not get emotional, but you did your job as an American citizen and member of a lawful society. In doing that, you helped the victim as much as you could and I'm sure the person is quite thankful for it.

With regards to the DA... a win is satisfaction enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the need to talk about the experience. It's often tough when I come across something so horrific that I feel the need to talk about it but we usually have enough professionals involved to share it with.
    I often use some parts of cases or incidents as a form of "teaching" for others but have to be real careful to change things enough that ppl can not id the person or family I am speaking of. I change age, sex, city or what situation I knew the person in etc. but it's easier since we see so many. I understand that in this situation it's tougher b/c it may be more obvious as to who or what case you are speaking of.
    Have you tried journaling? I wouldn't put down names etc. but just putting your thoughts down on paper often helps keep those frustrating feelings at bay.. Maybe write a note to the victim but don't send it.
    I have one case in particular that if I were to say anything it would be obvious as to the case I was speaking of so I do understand.
    Remember you did your duty, you were honest and did the best to your ability and that it admirable.
    I agree about letting it go and not trying to contact the assistant DA. You may be careful too about sending anything in the mail that could end up in the wrong hands.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the feedback. I guess I did make a difference.
    Ive been thinking about it. now back to work for a few days. And I will have to put it out of my mind I guess & get ready for WDW next week.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    thanks for the feedback. I guess I did make a difference.
    Ive been thinking about it. now back to work for a few days. And I will have to put it out of my mind I guess & get ready for WDW next week.
    The timing couldn't be better. What a great way to de-stress. Nothing helps like being in the happy place. Best wishes moving on and have a fantastic time!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That's one thing that people don't realize about jury duty... it can be a very emotional experience! I served as an alternate on a jury last year, and I couldn't sleep some nights, thinking about what I had heard during the days' testimony. And everyone at work acted like I was getting a free vacation! I wanted to reach out to the victim, but decided that that could stir up some bad memories for her so I decided to pray for her after the case was over. It made me feel better and who knows, perhaps it helped her to heal. I am glad that you have a trip to WDW to look forward to to relax after your trying few days.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing your duty for better of society! Hopefully some ralaxation and a few at WDW will help put this behind you.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeRX View Post
    Good for you with serving jury duty!!

Although your intentions are good, I honestly think it's very inappropriate convey best wishes to the victim. I think you would be violating the victim's right to privacy. The victim wasn't there to tell their story (or have their story told - whatever the case may be) just to have you, as a person, hear it. They were there to present facts about an incident to prosecute someone. This person has a right to tell their story in a secure environment... the courtroom. If you were to go beyond that, it just isn't right. It's not like this person just told you what happened. You were a juror, there's a duty of confidentiality and essentially anonymity to uphold, this even applies as to the victim.

I know you want the best for the person and I know it's hard to not get emotional, but you did your job as an American citizen and member of a lawful society. In doing that, you helped the victim as much as you could and I'm sure the person is quite thankful for it.

With regards to the DA... a win is satisfaction enough.
    I would agree with this if he wanted to contact the victim in person. I got from his post that he wanted to tell the DA and have them pass it on. I say do it. Let's face it, if the DA doesn't think it's appropriate, they won't pass it on. Crow will feel better and won't even know if it didn't go any further. I don't think that asking to be updated is right though. Just my humble opinion.
    Now for jury duty, I have been called twice. The first time I was so excited and I even wanted to be sequestered since I hated my job so much. I didn't even see the inside of a courtroom, I was so disappointed. So then again, right when I was eligible over the summer I was called again. This time I was in the courtroom and just disappointed. It was nothing like Law & Order!! I guess I should have known since my ER is nothing like "ER" or "Grey's Anatomy" or any other hospital show. I was even questioned but not picked and sent home again. DH would love to go but has never been called at all. So why am I so lucky??
    Sorry for the ranting, I'm tired

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I served on a jury last year for a pretty rough case. A couple of weeks afterwards, our DA had a little "debriefing" session with us, so I don't think it would be inappropriate to contact the DA or to convey your best wishes through the DA. As far as updates, I guess it depends on what you wanted to be updated on. It certainly is within your rights to fin dout about sentencing, etc. In fact, here in Phoenix, we have a website where you can pull that information up to see. If you wanted info about the victim, I don't think that would be appropriate. The victims needs to get on with their lives the best they can.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Crow, I’m sorry you got such a tough case! Hopefully your WDW trip will help you unwind and take it off your mind some. I think it would be nice to send a “you did a great job” message to the DA, they probably rarely get follow-up like that, and if they do then it will probably still be appreciated. It’s always nice to hear that you did a great job! But as far as the victim goes I would let them move on with their lives and pray that everything works out for the better for them. Now that the trail is over they probably just want to put the past behind them.

I always thought it would be interesting to serve jury duty, but I’ve never been called.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

believe me I would have rather been working than having had that happen.
    I hope she can go on w her life; it must have been terrible to have to go back to remember those times.
    I was in a funk at work today, tried to get in better mood by the end of the day. and Im someone whos always upbeat. believe me I needed a few after it was over.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Crow, I wouldn't.... That would and could be a grounds for reversal, jury misconduct....

I was a member of a jury, and jury foreman no less, for a murder trial involving two brothers who allegedly murdered an off duty cop... Won't discuss the case or our verdict, but, it was very stressful... Crow, vent all you want...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't contact the DA or the victim either. It just seems inappropriate even though your intentions are well meant.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on a couple of juries- nothing so extreme but stressful enough to be making decisions that affect others. I've gotten thank you letters from a judge, and I recall being asked a few questions after 1 case (by that same judge I think) about the performance of a couple of brand new prosecutors and public defenders (almost like it had been a bit of a workshop!). So from the system's side I guess it's (sometimes?) OK to intiate contacts with the jurors.

But I'm with the others who've said you should leave it alone. Especially if there was a conviction, our court system seems so sensitive to anything- even things that don't "make sense" to regular folks, that I wouldn't trust it not to allow some (expletive deleted) to get some kind of reversal. Stranger things happen every day.

Plus I agree about the privacy of the victim and the concept of a "sterile courtroom environment", even though such a thing is really impossible.

So I suggest you let this sleeping dog lie.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: