Quantcast Any Home Remedy Experts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Home Remedy Experts?

I'm willing to try just about anything but urine in my ear. I actually read that a little while ago while researching home remedies for earaches. It doesn't hurt quite that bad yet.

Anyway, I had a sinus cold last week while at Disney. Nothing too bad, just the usual, probably allergies more than anything with the beautiful weather and blooming flowers down there But I think the combo of the cold and flying back on the plane with the pressure change has given me a major earache. Was hoping it would go away, but hasn't. My right ear feels completely stopped up, and I feel somewhat dizzy/nauseated as my equalibrium is off. Can't get an appt. with my doc until Thursday and the local urgent cares have 3+ hour waits, don't have time for that.

Any home remedies worth trying? Motrin helps with the discomfort, but that's about it. As I said, I'll try anything but the urine!
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the Similisan Earache Relief drops. You should be able to get them at any local pharmacy or places like wal-mart and target. They've helped me in the past. Feel better soon!
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace ºOº

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not a home remedy, but have you tried a simple decongestant, like pseudofed or even an antihistamine, like Claritin? They could help open things up.

Other than, gentle heat might relieve some of the pressure. You can use a heating pad (set to the lowest setting and covered with a nice thick towel) or even a blow dryer on its lowest warm setting.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I know it's not a home remedy, but have you tried a simple decongestant, like pseudofed or even an antihistamine, like Claritin? They could help open things up.

Other than, gentle heat might relieve some of the pressure. You can use a heating pad (set to the lowest setting and covered with a nice thick towel) or even a blow dryer on its lowest warm setting.
    Yeh, I've got some OTC decongestants, but my sinuses have pretty much cleared. There's just this stubborn earache (probably infection) that's not letting up. I did try the blow dryer on low the other evening, didn't notice much difference. Might give the heating pad a try. If nothing else, I've learned a whole new appreciation for what my son goes through. He gets an ear infection every time he gets a cold. This is just a miserable feeling.
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bshaw96 View Post
    I'm willing to try just about anything but urine in my ear.
    Oh well there goes my suggestion!
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

If you're asking someone from Texas they'll probably tell you MENUDO. It cures EVERYTHING.

A hot pack with warm moist heat, a decongestant work the best for me...Drinking a little soda pop helps a bit too.

There are some ear drops that work for some people but...the only ear drops that worked for me is if I had an "outer ear" infection (swimmers ear).
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I second the recommendation for Similason Earache drops. Roll the bottle in between your palms for about a minute before you drop them in and it will warm the liquid up a bit.
    Drop those in and then try the heating pad, that seems to give my daughter the best relief when she has pain from one.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ear Cones when I get that plugged stuffy feeling in my ears. You can buy them at the Health Food Store.
    They are made of wax, and are about 12 inches long. You put the pointed part in your ear, and light the other side with a match. Follow the directions, or you have the possibility of catching your hair on fire. All of the wax and buildup in your ear will be sucked into the cone.
    It is kind of gross, but the only thing that works for me.
    They have scented ones, and others dipped in oils, but I get the basic ones. They come in a pair and are about 6-8 dollars.
    T
    DVC Members Saratoga and Animal Kindgom and Bay Lake Tower
    Way too many trips to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

DH suffered much of the past week with the flu and an ear infection. He begged me to try his supposedly "old Italian" remedy of rolling a newspaper into a cone, sticking it into his ear, and then burning the newspaper. He said it's supposed to draw the fluid out (I guess a cheaper version of the wax cones another poster mentioned). I'm just WAYYYY too afraid that I'll set him on fire or something, so I wouldn't do it. Just made him suffer He did get antibiotics, though (for the ear infection), so he's feeling better.

Hope you're on the mend soon!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes tilting your ear and dropping hot water into it can help. Not too hot...about the same temperature you use in the shower. You can do this in the shower by letting the water go into your ear. The warmth can help relieve the pain.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Eat. Raw. Garlic. You will be better in matter of days. I know it's rough, but it WILL WORK!
    Keep Moving Forward

First Trip: March '07
    Second Trip: May '08
    Third Trip: Hopefully Soon!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that uses holistic methods. Her doctor recommends peppermint oil (the real deal, not imitation) for ear infections. She used this with her son who was having severe pain. It cleared up within a week. You don't put the oil in the ear. You place is on a cotton ball and lay it on the outer ear area. If you try this, let us know if it works. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

U need to go to a health food store and a NETI Pot. It helps to relieve the sinuses and take pressure off your ears. I have really bad allerigies and I use this and it works, it may look gross but it will def help and reduce the pressure.
    ~Ashley~
    ~ºOº 83-93 -Poly
    96-ASMu
    2x 2006- POR
    2x 2007- CBR/POR
    2008- AKL
    2009- CR
    Apr 2010- Poly
    Oct 2010- AKL & Poly
    Next trip Mar 2011 GF ºOº~

Here you leave today - and visit the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

i know it is not healthy to be around second hand smoke but my mom use dto do this for us as kids and it helped. get a smoker to blow smoke in yoru affected ear and it takes the pain away. not sure how, i just remember the relief. good luck.
    ºoº Josette ºoº
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttccluvsdis View Post
    I use Ear Cones when I get that plugged stuffy feeling in my ears. You can buy them at the Health Food Store.
    They are made of wax, and are about 12 inches long. You put the pointed part in your ear, and light the other side with a match. Follow the directions, or you have the possibility of catching your hair on fire. All of the wax and buildup in your ear will be sucked into the cone.
    It is kind of gross, but the only thing that works for me.
    They have scented ones, and others dipped in oils, but I get the basic ones. They come in a pair and are about 6-8 dollars.
    T
    I just read an article on ear candling....sounds intriguing!

I second the suggestions for sudafed and nasal irrigation/netipot. From what I've read and experienced, a lot of times, what patients think is all in their ears, can actually be in their sinuses. All that stuff is connected, after all.

Hope you get some relief! It's too bad you don't have three hours to go to urgent care and get taken care of.
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RenDuran View Post
    Hope you get some relief! It's too bad you don't have three hours to go to urgent care and get taken care of.
    Yes and no. Most doctors are now reluctant to treat ear pain with antibiotics due to building resistance to the medications, so they end up recommending home remedies and OTC decongestants anyway. That ear cone treatment sounds scary- wow! Best wishes for feeling better fast.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen to me last year when we drove home through the mountains, not to scare you, but I could not hear for a month. It was an ear infection from my sinus infection and it was horrible!

My doctor ended up prescribing an antibiotic ear drop, it cleared up soon after I started taking it. I have no idea what the name of it was but it was the only thing that worked.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: