Quantcast Need help with an idea for a craft representing France..Si Vous Plait !

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with an idea for a craft representing France..Si Vous Plait !

Bonjour!
    I have a brownie troop and we are participating in our council's World Thinking Day.
    This year we have chosen France as our country to represent and I am totally drawing blank on a craft that we can have at our booth.
    It has to be something fairly easy because the troops only have about 5 minutes at each country.
    It also has to be fairly inexpensive because we will need to have the supplies for about 50-75 girls!

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Merci
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How about buying red, blue, and white sheets of foam and cutting them into strips. The girls can make them into flags and glue them onto popcicle sticks. You could also have a fact about France written on the back of each strip of foam for the girls to read about when they are done.
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace șOș

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - we are doing the same thing, except our country is Mexico. We're making little tacos for swaps. But we have to come up with a food to bring, and a display for our table. If I come across any good ideas for you while I'm doing my research for our troop, I'll let you know!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Sachets with lavender potpourri? You can buy dried lavender buds for about $10 a pound (a pound is a lot of lavender) on ebay and sachets in your local craft store. Maybe the girls could decorate the outside of the bag with fabric paint (their initials?)
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the ideas so far!

Our girls wanted Mexico or Italy but they were already taken, so our next pick was France.

We are good with our booth and presentation, we are having escargot for the adventurous and croissants for the non-snail people as our food samples! We also have berets for the girls to wear
    Just the craft part is holding us up!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

How about a white surrender flag?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of France I think of the Eiffel Tower, Can Can Dancers and Wine.
    Can you make some little paper doll type stuff w/ laces to glue on for can can skirts? I was a troop leader many moons ago. If I did Can Can dancers I would have info on the history or significance of them.
    I'm drawing a blank on the Eiffel Tower. Maybe you could have bright strips of yarn and build your own tower out of yard glued on construction paper.
    What kind of a budget do you have to spend on this?
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I took French for five years in school and one year for our craft project we made a small model of the Eiffel Tower out of little popcicle stick kinda things.

I'm pretty sure you could get a ton of those at a craft store, along with some glue, for not too much money.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a pretty limited budget right now (all of our cookie $ from last year is spent!) but we can spend about $50 for the craft.

I like the Eiffel Tower ideas, that is a landmark that everyone recognizes. The time constraint would be my only concern because they only have about 5 minutes per booth.
    I am going to have to do some experiments with popsicle sticks and also the yarn on paper and see what I come up with.

Thank you to everyone, keep them coming!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter did one of these recently and they did little "friendship" bracelets with blue, white and red string. They also had little letters to put on the bracelet with common french sayings, like "Bonjour", "Vive la France" and, as Scar suggested, "I surrender"...
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could do something with the Statue of Liberty since it was a gift from france. Like build it out of play dough or something and have a little bit of history prepared to tell people as they walk up to your booth. Just an idea
    A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep...

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could bake crepes and have samples for all the people who come to your booth. You can find recipies for crepes any where. A great touch would be to use little Frech flage toothpicks in each littler sample. Or since Paris is the fashion capital of the world, you could all dress as fashion modles. (maybe not such a great idea)
    Hope that helped.

*oooh! 200th post! Yippy!*
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!

Aug-Sept, 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April, 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    October, 1997 - Dixie Landings
    February, 1995 - Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

As a former Troop leader and Art teacher...5 min. for a craft is lightning fast...elmers glue with craft sticks would be hard to make and take since it won't dry that fast.
    After reading the posts I had a thought...what about a Can Can dancer like someone mentioned, but more like a finger puppet (but not the kind you just put on a finger). Picture a small paper doll with her arms stretched out and withouut any legs...now make two holes in the hips and insert your fingers through for legs...yes, now she's doing the Can-Can...wow, she can do the splits! You'll need something flat and fairly heavy for the body- either fun foam or heavy tag board paper. Personally, I would pre-cut all the bodies (make sure you leave extra thickness around the finger holes so they won't rip out easily...yes, she'll be hippy) and have the craft be just about decorating them. I'd suggest you even take strips of scrap fabric and gather them (can do this as you glue or baste sew and pull-you could do a super long strip and get many skirts out of this) across the waist and HOT glue it down for a full short skirt that will cover the top of the leg/hip area. You can supply some markers for the faces, etc. and you can probably get Mom's from you Troop to donate leftovers for decorating the skirt/making a top- ribbons, trims, yarn, beads, (and you must have a feather for her hair!). Have fun!
    WDW:
    '71 Off Site
    '78 Fort Wilderness Campground
    '85 Off Site
    '92 Carribean Beach R.
    '97 All Star Sports
    '99 All Star Sports
    '02 Port Orleans Riverside
    '05 POP Century
    '08 POFQ

DLP:
    '08 Paris Apartment

WDW:
    '12 POP, Hilton BC, POP

Currently in Disney Withdrawl...sniff

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm not artsy or crafty person, but what about drawing portraits, like the Mona Lisa? Teaching them about art and stuff, since the best art museum is the Louvre in Paris!

I just got back from Paris a month ago, and there's art EVERYWHERE!!

At church, when they learn about missionaries, the little kids went in the hall, wearing their barets, and painting on the wall (well.. drawing on easels or paper put on the wall for murals).

It was way cute!!!

So, I don't know what else to tell you. Umm... what about making roses, since it is the city of romance? To old for them? Probably.

What about teaching them about the gargoyles on the churches, and having them make one out of clay or playdoh to take home?

I don't know... I'm spent!

If you want to see some pictures for ideas, let me know!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... 5 minutes is very little time for a craft. I like the crepe idea.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you decide on anything yet?? I just learned from my co-leader we are doing France too. LOL So I appreciate all the ideas everyone has suggested too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much to everyone for all the ideas and input.
    We still haven't completely decided on a craft yet but we have narrowed it down to a few ideas...
    We are either going to have the girls do gargoyles or snails out of clay OR something fashion related, like decorate a mirror. I am not sure if the girls will get that Paris is a major fashion center, but we will see.
    We have decided on Cheese and Baguets as our food sample and may do a fondue (not sure about fire!). We also have escargot and wine (Welch's sparkling grape juice) that we are going to display. We thought about buying plastic wine glasses and giving them to each girl with some of the sparkling grape juice, but we don't want to offend anyone.
    I have berets for the girls to wear also!

Thank you again to everyone for your input!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea about the friendship braclets since the french is known for fashion. This would be a very in expensive way to show what France is about. The other idea would be just to have a few different kinds of cheese a small pretzel sticks since this is another way to show what France is all about. This would give them a taste and just have small nibbles of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but think of that John Cusak movie from the 80's called Better Off Dead. There was a foreign exchange student from France, staying at the neighbor's house. The mother has her over for dinner and says "In honor of our dinner guest, tonight we have French fries, French bread, and French dressing...."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartellFamily View Post
    I like the idea about the friendship braclets since the french is known for fashion. This would be a very in expensive way to show what France is about. The other idea would be just to have a few different kinds of cheese a small pretzel sticks since this is another way to show what France is all about. This would give them a taste and just have small nibbles of them.
    Fashion.. yes. Friendly... NOT AT ALL! They have to be the rudest people!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: