Quantcast I can't believe I did this.....(VENT)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't believe I did this.....(VENT)

I am so mad at myself I could just scream bloody murder.

I can't believe I did it. I booked our May trip thinking Ben's vacation trick was D5......wrong.............it is D4.

Let me explain - he works 4 shifts, as a , then off 4 shifts. This goes on for six "tricks" with each one lettered and numbered. So he would work 2 days and 2 night shifts for D1, be off for 4 days, then work 2 days/2nights for D2, etc.

I booked our May vacation around this number. I have the room, the itinerary and all our ADR's reserved. This worked for me as well because finals are the week of D4 so D5 worked out great. Boy am I stupid. I can't believe I could be so careless. I don't know if he will be able to swap with anyone. A lot of his co-workers are pretty fussy about making swaps. I just don't know what to do.

On one hand, I could talk with my professors (I have two classes this semester) and ask if I could take my finals early or after we return. One final I would have to take in class, the other is an on-line class, so worse case scenario I could take that one on-line in WDW. That would be easy as it is world lit, however, the other is A&P. I have to actually be in the class for that one.

So all this means is I would have to back up our vacation, but then I miss out on park time and meals with friends who are also going to be there the same time as we are/were. I am just so frustrated right now. Where's my Maalox?

Then, to top it all off, I did the same thing for our August dates. This isn't necessarily such an issue as I don't have any classes at that time, but it does change my dates back a week. However, we were to meet up with friends for this trip too. We were going for the second and third weeks in Aug, meeting up with Kathy (kakn7274) and her awesome family. I know they are going for a week, but I don't recall which week, so I don't know if this will mess up our plans. We are now going to have to change our dates to Aug 2-13th. It cuts it short a couple of days, but I guess 11 nights is better than none? Right?

So, do you see why I am so mad at myself? I'm sorry this was long, but I needed to vent to someone. Ben just shook his head and laughed at me. I started bawling like a baby with frustration. He tells me just to hold on and he will try to talk with the other firefighter that has D5 vacation and beg him to swap so I wouldn't have to change anything. I am not that optimistic, either. But this could be a real issue. If this other person won't swap, I have to rearrange all our ressies and plans and beg my professors. UGH!

I love to plan, but this would just be more difficult knowing I was replanning becuase of my stupid mistake.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it will all be OK when he talks to his coworkers. It does stink though especially when you've been planning for a while. Let us know what happens!!
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, Kristen, I'm sorry for your frustration! To think you had it all planned so perfectly and then to find out you didn't, argh. Of course you need to vent. I hope it works out for you.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Kristen, that's terrible to find that out after all that hard work! The good news for your August plans is that it will still work out that we'll have several days together since we are planning on Aug 9 - 17. Hopefully you can work everything out and Ben can trade for that May trip. I know how much you are looking forward to spending time with John and Karen. Best of luck to you and Ben!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Good grief....I'm so sorry about all the stuff you have to go through! I really hope everything works out! Hugggggggssss.
    Tim J. Cullen
    "If we can dream it, we really CAN do it."

1982 to Present-various trips with family and friends.
    Disney Vacation Club Member 1993-2000
    TWO Honeymoons! (2000 and 2008)
    Cast Member 1999-2001 (Epcot Science @ The Land/The Living Seas/Monorails)
    Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Oh Kristen, that's terrible to find that out after all that hard work! The good news for your August plans is that it will still work out that we'll have several days together since we are planning on Aug 9 - 17. Hopefully you can work everything out and Ben can trade for that May trip. I know how much you are looking forward to spending time with John and Karen. Best of luck to you and Ben!
    Oh Kathy, I am so glad to hear your dates now. I was so worried we weren't going to be able to play together. I know Katy is looking forward to meeting your girls. She even helped me pick out a little something for them. I just need to get a proper mailing envelope to send them to you. Please pray for the pixie dust to come through. Ben had an epiphany while he got frustrated watching the steelers. He thinks the person he can switch with is one of his Lt's, and he is a very nice guy and they get along really well.....so let us hope this works.

Again, I am sooooooooooooo relieved we can spend time together. We will have to start thinking about what and where and all that fun stuff.

Tell Phil and the girls hello for us.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11

Post Thanks / Like

that it all works out!

Keep us posted!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you can get it all worked out. I am sure that is frustrating!!

My DH does rotating shifts similar to Ben's with the PD/FD. I usually have it all figured out and put on the calender since it never changes but, there is once and awhile I miscount and plan something wrong. I know it stinks!! Then he throws in Squad with the Ambulance and that messes everything up!!

It should get really interesting when I go back to work in September.

I hope someone can switch with him.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Kristen! I am sorry this is happening to you! How frustrating!! I hope that things can work out for you. We are really looking forward to spending time with you, Ben and the family.

Here is some pixie dust for all to work out!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Kristen, I amsending some pixie dust your way in hopes that it all works out! I can truly sympathize as my husband is a police officer and worked on rotating shifts for several years. It is frustrating! Good luck and hopefully the LT will switch with him
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

**UPDATE**
    This is some awesome news!! Ben's Lt. has swapped with him and the only thing it is going to cost me is a home-made caramel crumb topped apple pie with french vanilla ice cream.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all you positive thoughts and pixie dust!! Karen and John, we'll see you on the 16th!!
    Kristen and Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Thanks for the update. I'm so glad it's working out for you.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Kristen! I assume that August doesn't change. Phil and I have been doing some talking - I started a preliminary plan! I'll send you a PM with a few details.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Yippee!! Yahoo!!!

Tell Ben's LT that he rocks!!!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad to hear that things worked out for you! I know exactly how that shift stuff can really mess up a good plan.

DH has worked shift work since we started dating. I kid him that if he were to work "bankers hours," we couldn't live together. After dating for 2yrs & married for 13, it's too late to change now...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that it all worked out for you. At least your payment doesn't seem un-doable
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

This is just getting better and better.

Last September I had worked out the dates for the May and August trips and counted them out on a calendar. I had counted May wrong, but somehow I counted August out correctly. Then I lost said calendar. So then I worked it out again. Stupidly in error, I counted wrong again.

Well, after seeing the BCFD offical schedule, I originally had dates for Aug 10-21st. I was correct. So NOW we are back to the August 10th arrival date. I can't believe I have put myself through all this grief. Ben just laughed at me. I wa so mad at myself for almost screwing up everything.

So - Karen and John - we are all set for May 15th.

Kathy and Phil - we are set for Aug 10th.

I guess I need to stop trying to plan and just stop going to disney world.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?
    Kristen and Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    This is just getting better and better.

Last September I had worked out the dates for the May and August trips and counted them out on a calendar. I had counted May wrong, but somehow I counted August out correctly. Then I lost said calendar. So then I worked it out again. Stupidly in error, I counted wrong again.

Well, after seeing the BCFD offical schedule, I originally had dates for Aug 10-21st. I was correct. So NOW we are back to the August 10th arrival date. I can't believe I have put myself through all this grief. Ben just laughed at me. I wa so mad at myself for almost screwing up everything.

So - Karen and John - we are all set for May 15th.

Kathy and Phil - we are set for Aug 10th.

I guess I need to stop trying to plan and just stop going to disney world.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?
    We'll see you on August 10th. Told ya Ben would just laugh! I can't believe what you said though - NO DISNEY!?!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Can you believe I said that? I must have been having a moment. I don't know what came over me. I sure hope I am healed soon. Help, I think I need a or maybe just another trip to plan?
    Kristen and Ben

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: