Quantcast Need to vent about Christmas Eve dinner

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need to vent about Christmas Eve dinner

My sister just called and has me really angry and upset about our holiday meals. Christmas Eve dinner is at my house - every year for the past 12 - 14 years (I lost track). Every year, I usually cook turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, etc. My Mom then cooks Christmas Day dinner and always has the same foods the next day - and I hate that. So this year, I decided to shake things up a bit and we're having hot sausage, meatballs, scalloped potatoes, chicken soup, and various other foods so that we're not eating the same things for 2 days in a row. Here's what has me upset: both my Mom and my sister have complained about the menu - well, not outright complained, but have made snide little comments about this person won't like that and that person won't like that. I can't believe that they have the nerve to complain as I do all the planning, shopping, prep-work, and cooking myself - and I am a pretty good cook. I don't complain about my Mom's choices for a meal and my sister has never, ever cooked a holiday meal - actually, that's not quite true either. She has her DH's family and my parents over for Christmas Eve lunch. I've never been invited because she figures I'll be too busy cooking for dinner anyway (she's told me this). This is why I feel like a Grinch and hate the holidays. If it could be just my DH and DD's, I'd be so much happier.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, how I feel your pain. DH & I were just talking last evening about how we feel a terrible cold or the flu coming on and the peak may just hit about Christmas day. We may just have to stay home and be with the kids christmas day and enjoy each other's company by ourselves.

Don't get me wrong. I love my family as well as all of my very extended family, but it really gets to be drudgery when you do nothing but cook, clean and go all day Christmas eve and Christmas day. It takes away the spirit of the holiday.

No you aren't being a grinch, just human.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

You sound just like me.

I always have Christmas Eve at my house for my 4 sisters and their families. They are mad because I chose to have it at 7pm this year and just have light finger foods instead of a large meal.

I was away Mon-Weds, my son's b-day was yesterday, mine is tomorrow and I am dealing with a nasty cold and a touch of the flu.

The last thing I want to do is cook a big meal!! if they don't like it they should do it at their house for once.

Sorry to vent about me. I just know exactly what you mean.

Your menu sounds great. I wish I was going to your house.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Riley Taylor's Mom View Post
    Your menu sounds great. I wish I was going to your house.
    How about this? You tell your family that you're not going to be home and come here instead. I'll tell mine that dinner is cancelled and we can enjoy the holiday together! All Intercotees are invited as long as you don't complain about when it is and what you're eating!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    How about this? You tell your family that you're not going to be home and come here instead. I'll tell mine that dinner is cancelled and we can enjoy the holiday together! All Intercotees are invited as long as you don't complain about when it is and what you're eating!
    Sounds great to me!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I think that you, as the host, get to choose what YOU are going to cook! And it all sounds so tasty! It's not like you are ordering take out! (Even if you were, it is your home and your party and it is your right to do so!)

I think some people are very resistant to change, and they will make a big fuss no matter what you do. (Kind of like wedding planning, where everyone feels entitled to offer an unsolicited opinion!) However, once they get there, I am sure that everyone will have a great time. Good luck.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow , I just got on Intercot because I needed some down time. I just got off the phone with my mom. I was crying by the time I got off because my sister can't fit anytime into her schedule to spend time with me and my family at Christmas this year. My mother lives with her (sister's house is much larger and she only has one child) so mom is going to spend Christmas with sis and her in-laws. I tried to arrange Christmas Dinner, lunch and breakfast - Christmas Day , then Christmas Eve - no time for dinner I cook with my family.

Sorry I am no help

God Bless us everyone
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Holiday Season....

UGHHHH. It's so hard to make everyone happy. Why can't we all just be"that person" who shows up with nothing more than a bottle they picked up on the way over?

I am hosting, cookinig, cleaning, spending $$ on having Christmas and my sister calls to tell me that she would bring some brownies. I'm like Brownies... it's a holiday meal, that's it. A $1.29 box of brownies. Whatever...

Just my little story.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. Last year my DH decided we would host his brother and family for Christmas Eve without telling me. He told me afterwards. Now a little history - I don't exactly get along with my sister in law. So I decide to make the best of it. I made a bit Italian meal and got nothing but snide comments about everything we had done. Our house is to small - Italian is not a holiday meal. It just wasn't the most pleasant experience. This year Dh asked me if I would do dinner again. I flat out said no!! So nothing was said about getting together with them. I was so hoping for a quiet night at home with just DH and DD. Not to happen I guess DH and his brother decided we were going to their house. I asled what I needed to bring and was told an appetiser. So I decided not to do anything special. I am taking a cheese, beef stick and cracker platter. If they don't like it tobad!! I don't feel like trying to please them this year. Thankfully Christmas Day will be quiet and relaxing. Just the three of us. I do wish the holidays could be more relaxing and not so stressful.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through this but with Thanksgiving (except there is no Thanksgiving Eve)... which is why I no longer give a thought to us (the immediate family) going to WDW Thanksgiving week and being away from the extended family. So next year, let's all go to WDW for Christmas!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    I've been through this but with Thanksgiving (except there is no Thanksgiving Eve)... which is why I no longer give a thought to us (the immediate family) going to WDW Thanksgiving week and being away from the extended family. So next year, let's all go to WDW for Christmas!
    Sign me up!
    First Trip: 1983- (Before 6 months old!)
    1983-Present (Too many trips to count!)

Important Trips:
    Dec 2006- Carribean Beach (Honeymoon!)
    May 2008 (First trip for our Twins!)

Next Trip:
    Sept. 2009 - FREE DINING!!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate being away from my family around the holidays the meal part never makes me feel bad. This year for me,DH and DS's I decided to do something different, crab cakes,shrimp cocktail, crab legs. I told DH I didn't want to be traditional and just wanted to do whatever, he happily agreed and this is what we will eat this year. Next year it could be ham,turkey,filet mignon but this year its seafood. Good luck with you meal, it sounds wonderful to me. However it turns out have a very Merry Christmas.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want to eat the same meal for Christmas both days either. Families can be such a pain in the backside. I guess one solution could be to tell your mom and your sister if there is some other dish they would like to bring, be my guest. This way you can still have your planned meal and they can help you out a little too. If they don't like it....oh well. Don't sweat the small stuff. Keep your chin up. Ben and I'll be right up and I'll even help cook and clean up too. Happy Holidays!!

Just a side note, to go along with the other poster's comments about being sick......I actually went into labor and delivered my baby on Christmas day. It got me out of a lousy christmas with my estranged father and his wife. My mom, step-dad, sister and bil all thanked me for that one. I called it divine intervention and the answer to my prayers.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

So next year, let's all go to WDW for Christmas!
    Or my place!!! It's what everyone we are related to does EVERY year!

Kathy -- you can hide out at my place too! Your idea for dinner sounds wonderful!

I host Christmas Dinners on December 23rd, 24th and 25th. December 23 is a Beef Tenderloin, and December 25 is a Turkey and Ham.....so December 24 is Penne and Meatballs. Sorry that's how it is. I don't like meat, and the idea of having roast meals three nights in a row is more than I can imagine! That said, my BinL and SinL look forward to our dinners on the 24th (It is always some kind of pasta). I think the key is to NOT get an opinion in advance. You're doing the work, cook what you want to! Heck, when my husbands dear Gran used to do Christmas Eve, it was KFC! It's the time with your loved ones that matters!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

So next year, let's all go to WDW for Christmas!
    Works for me! Mickey's cooking next year!

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    Kathy, I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want to eat the same meal for Christmas both days either. Families can be such a pain in the backside. I guess one solution could be to tell your mom and your sister if there is some other dish they would like to bring, be my guest. This way you can still have your planned meal and they can help you out a little too. If they don't like it....oh well. Don't sweat the small stuff. Keep your chin up. Ben and I'll be right up and I'll even help cook and clean up too. Happy Holidays!!
    You guys are more than welcome and I won't even expect you to cook or clean up! They have decided now that they are bringing something - I think because they don't want what's being served. Oh well, don't eat - more leftovers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I think the key is to NOT get an opinion in advance. You're doing the work, cook what you want to! Heck, when my husbands dear Gran used to do Christmas Eve, it was KFC! It's the time with your loved ones that matters!
    I tried to not tell them but my Mom pestered me everyday until I finally broke down and told her. It's the same reason that they didn't know about our last Disney trip until May (we went in August) - they just can't leave it alone and let me be happy. I agree, it's not the food but the time together that counts - I do love my family even though they drive me crazy at times like this.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. I feel much better just knowing I'm not alone!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Kathy, you are so not alone.

I am sitting in the doghouse right now.
    (at home, having a drink with lots of peace and quiet getting presents wrapped)

One side of my family had a "family" party tonight, a couple hundred miles away. I just didn't have the energy to deal with all the drama this year.

Family... you got to love em eh? Beats doing 5 - 7 for throttling them.

LOL

And as far as food goes...
    Shoot, it was many years ago my family started a tradition that I have continued with my own.

Christmas Eve dinner consists of several different types of cheese, a few types of crackers, beef stick, apples, pears and grapes.

For Christmas dinner, we make a pan of Lasagna a couple days before Christmas.

I would rather spend time enjoying the day than cooking and doing dishes!!!

Oh, were down with Mickey cooking next year. LTT?
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Just put nice little poems at each place setting:

Have a seat at my table
    and take a good look
    The first to complain
    is the next meal's cook.......

I had to learn a long time ago to have wonderful Christmas' in spite of certain family members attempts to ruin it! Enjoy your hubby and your girls, focus on them and don't worry about anything else.
    Merry Christmas!
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I'm jumping on the next plane if you are cooking all that for us, Kathy!! We can all wear our various Mickey ears and Mickey shirts and play Mickey's Christmas Carol and Disney holiday music, how fun! I have set down the ground rules with dh's family (they are about an hour from us, so not too bad to do), Christmas Eve and Christmas is for our immediate family. They can come here, but we go nowhere. We have been to Florida a couple times with the kids and that's been fun since my family is there. I think things progress once you have your own family and sometimes you have to be the grinch, but if you ask me, they are the ones being the grinchies!!

Jenemmy, I love your poem!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy that sounds like a wonderful meal and my mom taught me NEVER to complain about other's food-- it's like a gift isn't it??? I could come up and bring a sack of crawfish and really spice things up! I agree that repeating the same food would get old and I would want something different too.
    We have open adoption down here. I'll even alternate Christmas with you. My sister decided that the family is just too big (things have changed)and she is having Christmas with just her kids and her latest husband (#5) and buying gifts for herself. She hasn't wanted to swap presents in years nor does she do anything for anyone so it's just me and my three kids and my parents. My brother has come for Christmas once in over 30 years b/c his wife wants to be with "her family". So basically since my parents were both only children and I have no 1st cousins, Aunts or Uncles it's just us so we adopt everyone willing.
    On Christmas eve we will be lucky if we have something warm for dinner maybe leftover meatsauce I invited my mom over and we are all getting together to prep cook for Christmas day. We are making both oyster and cornbread stuffing. It's fun for us to get together and chop celery and laugh with a touch of wine and Christmas music we look forward to this get together as much as Christmas day. I started this about 3 yrs ago b/c my mom is getting older and can't cook it all anymore- she prefers to cook alone-- not me--I used to go to my grandmothers every Christmas eve to help and 3 of her 5 sisters would come to make the stuffing. Now my girls want to learn to cook. This Christmas we are even going to get cold weather too It would be great if I could put a log on the fire but my dd's asthma can't take it.
    The only thing you can count on is change but most ppl don't like change. I don't think it's about what you cook but that things are not going to be the same. It's losing something and they get grumpy. But some change is good.
    Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and again I would love to eat anything you serve b/c it's the company that really matters.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I am giving serious consideration to this.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: