Quantcast What is the Odyssey Center?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the Odyssey Center?

I have been to Epcot a lot but never to the Odyssey Center, so what exactly is it and is it still open?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Odyssey Center is the building where the Baby Care Center and the First Aid station is. There is also at least one big meeting room in it. We once saw some kind of private party being held in that meeting room. I also heard that there is a Cast Member cafeteria in the building. I think that's all that is in there. I believe it was a restaurant at one time.

If you are leaving the World Showcase from the Mexico side, it is on your right just as you pass Mexico and cross the bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a secret spot for bathrooms.

Seriously, I believe it used to be a buffet restaurant, but now it's used for special events and a cast member area.

For the general public, there are bathrooms (2 sets I think....one set inside a door and another set open to the outside) and a first aid center. A baby care center might also be located here.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it used to be the same setup as Cosmic Rays in the Magic Kingdom. A restaurant with a stage that would rise up from the basement with bands and entertainment. Now, Sonny Eclipse sits on top of the "stage" that can still rise up for shows.

Anyhoo, it was a fast food restaurant... and apparently epcot had WAY too many of them because that closed a long time ago, and now we've knocked out the other restaurant on the other side of communicore (oops, innoventions).
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Actually, it used to be the same setup as Cosmic Rays in the Magic Kingdom. A restaurant with a stage that would rise up from the basement with bands and entertainment. Now, Sonny Eclipse sits on top of the "stage" that can still rise up for shows.

Anyhoo, it was a fast food restaurant... and apparently epcot had WAY too many of them because that closed a long time ago, and now we've knocked out the other restaurant on the other side of communicore (oops, innoventions).
    Are you talking about the restaurant across from the Electric Umbrella that used to have pizza and other things, and now it's that Fountain View bakery?
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think the real problem was that it is too far away from the main flow of traffic. Where it is located, was not where it was planned to be built. It was originally planned to be built where the lake in front of it is. The lake that is in front of it, is actually a sink hole.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I think the real problem was that it is too far away from the main flow of traffic. Where it is located, was not where it was planned to be built. It was originally planned to be built where the lake in front of it is. The lake that is in front of it, is actually a sink hole.
    Interesting about the sinkhole. You're probably right about the main traffic flow, but as I remember it in its early days (when the park opened in 1982) it was quite busy and lots of people used the walkway to it and around it. Later on, though, it did start to slow down.

We used to really like that place. I wonder if another factor might have been the competition with the World Showcase restaurants. If you have lots of fast food places people are less likely to eat in the more expensive spots. Just wonder if that played into it.

Odyssey is also used during F&W for special events and dinners.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

The year we went in mid dec. They had a X-Mas store in there. My wife bought a lot of ornaments that year.
    Off site Jan '92
    AS Music April '97, Dec '98
    AS Movies Oct 2000, Jan 03, Jan 05, Jan 06
    Pop Aug 06, Pop Jan 07
    Pop Aug 07, Pop Aug 08
    Pop Aug 09, Pop Aug 10
    Pop Aug 11, Pop Aug '12, AoA Aug '13
    Pop Dec '13 Aug '14, Jan '15, Aug '15

Next Trip: Pop Aug '16

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to the Magical Gatherings Illuminations Dinner and Desert Reception during our March trip. From what they said when I made the ressie the dinner is held in the Odyssey Center. I asked CM where it was and she told me, I asked her if it was the building where the baby care center is and she said yes. I knew the baby care center, not the Odyssey Center.
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I always try to be up beat in my post but this one will be different......

I my opinion it is just another of the wasted spaces in EPCOT...... It could be so much more than what it is used for.... I could come up with tons of uses but no it just sits kind of like wonders of life and the millennium village has.........
    EPCOT has more dead space in it than any other park.............. Lets come up with some ideas to use that space every day.....

Ok I guess I am done now.......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

i wish it was still a restaurant. I remember eating there and there would be stage shows with the characters. The characters would be dressed in those space suits they had. Remember those?!!

Post Thanks / Like

It is a bit out of the way, but I always use the restrooms there. The building is reminiscent of 80's Epcot. I always sneak a peak when they leave the doors to the main room open there.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: