Quantcast What do you think of Holiday letters?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of Holiday letters?

Hi all,

I just finished writing up my annual holiday letter that I was planning on putting into our Christmas cards. I fancied it up with pictures of the girls and just wrote what we've been up for the past year.

But I got thinking... what does everyone think of holiday letters? Do you read them when you receive them? Do you write one of your own?

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i think they are some what ok...
    the ones we get are just so i dunno annoying..its like the few people who do write them..just brag about whatever..and just some of the things they put in the letter its like..ok..so? lol...i dont do one..and never will..people wanna know whats going on im my life..they can call..write..or whatever...
    but as i always say - to each his own!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with DizNee143.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Forgive my manly ignorance, but what's a "holiday letter"?

Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, they're O.K. When you're my age, it's kind of fun to see the pictures of kids that I used to diaper.

What's annoying are the lines like:

Dave and I are enjoying our new Infinity, that sits in the circle of our new 4,000 sq. ft. home.

The weather while we were in Hawaii was just beautiful.

Our son, Blake, was awarded the Student Of The Year at Buxton, (a private school for gifted children), and will be entering Princeton as a Freshman when he's 12.

We've been to Disney World four times this year, and were the Grand Marshalls of the parade each time. (NOW, THAT SMARTS) !!

Yeah, some of the letters are a "little" annoying. I'd rather read anything you guys write online about your frustrating relatives, annoying rashes, and how to get cat pee out of your mattresses - you know, REALLY interesting stuff.

Let's have a contest. Write boring letters on Intercot - save on postage. I'll start. My dog died, I have a toenail fungus, and have to wear my slippers to church, and the photographer wouldn't take our Christmas pictures. (Something about needing a wider lens???).
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I've never done one but was considering this year especially to friends that I've not seen in years or friends that send them. I would consider it appropriate for distant family and friends. My mom has a friend who sends one and my mom complains every year that she's just bragging. Truth is she is angry with her. I see it as wanting to share her experiences -- you never know.
    It is hard to say how are you and the family when it's a generic letter...
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Forgive my manly ignorance, but what's a "holiday letter"?

They're sort of like newsletters people print out to send with holiday cards that update others on what's happened with their family over the year.

Personally, sorry to say, I don't like them as much as I like personal handwritten mail. I never send them. I wish people could take the time to write individual letters for personal correspondence. It's as if the sender couldn't be bothered with me. But I know people are busy and that's what it comes down to now more often than not. Better to get a newsletter than nothing at all, I guess. I take the time to write the information individually, even though it means I have a smaller mailing list. The newsletters are great for business situations, though, if you're not writing to close personal friends and family.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, holiday letters are what some people send out in their Christmas cards to update you about their family.

We don't get very many anymore. I think they can be fun, but there was one family that obviously sent one out every year just to brag. Sometimes it's hard to walk the line between "updating" and "bragging" though, especially during the holiday season when so many people are depressed.

They only time my mom does one is when something really important is going on.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy reading them, and we write one every year. It's nice to be able to update people you don't necessarily have frequent contact with about what's been happening with your family.

As far as bragging goes, would you really put all the bad stuff that goes on in the letter?
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    What's annoying are the lines like:

Dave and I are enjoying our new Infinity, that sits in the circle of our new 4,000 sq. ft. home.

The weather while we were in Hawaii was just beautiful.

Our son, Blake, was awarded the Student Of The Year at Buxton, (a private school for gifted children), and will be entering Princeton as a Freshman when he's 12.

We've been to Disney World four times this year, and were the Grand Marshalls of the parade each time. (NOW, THAT SMARTS) !!
    Wow! You get a newsletter from my aunt, too? Hers sound JUST like that!

I don't mind holiday letters...so long as they're not braggy!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been Eh about them. Growing up my family lived far from my dad's family (and back then long distance was super expensive) so they would all do them and send them around to other relatives etc. I can't imagine anyone really putting in the "real truth" into one so I kinda look at it like fiction.

Besides odds are if you popped over to great aunt suzzies you'd see the infiniti is a jalopy..the 4000 sqfoot is the size of the overcrowded appt building she's sharing with 4 roomies and the circle is the fire route. If people have to brag that way it's not a big deal to me.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I like them!
    We only have one family that we get one from, but I enjoy reading it.
    I appreciate the time that it takes to get it written and pictures included.
    I have thought about doing it but just haven't gotten around to it.

I like to send the Christmas cards that you can insert a picture in the front of, that is usually what we do with our family picture, but this year we are changing it up. I bought the cutest Christmas cards in DTD on our last trip so we'll be sending those out!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get many holiday letters, but enjoy the majority of the ones I do receive. The people I receive them from would more likely include a line such as "Our pet bunnies would not stop reproducing and we were finally eaten out of house & home" rather than "Our stable of thoroughbred racehorses included several participants in the Kentucky Derby". Such is my circle of friends.

But seriously, I can understand those that are so excited or joyful (birth of baby, marriage of son or daughter) that they just have to share. However, the letters that go on about vacations abroad & purchases of summer homes tend to make the reader feel more down than uplifted.

My Aunt puts out a great letter that I look forward to every year. It starts out with remembrances of the past and leads in to what is happening today. I love being reminded of fond memories & events I might otherwise have forgotten.

I would probably write a letter myself if I could ever find the motivation. But actually, I think I only wrote one brief letter the year we moved. Wanted to make sure everyone had our new address.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I like them!

I always mean to write one, but never seem to get around to it. I have a cousin and a friend who send one faithfully every year.

I look at it as a chance to catch up with them a bit, and I get far more information than if they wrote each of us a personal letter.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I like them, if for no other reason than laugh value!
    You always know you're getting to the bragging part when the sentence starts out, "Not wanting to brag but........." or "We have been really blessed this year..........."
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I enjoy reading them, and we write one every year. It's nice to be able to update people you don't necessarily have frequent contact with about what's been happening with your family.

As far as bragging goes, would you really put all the bad stuff that goes on in the letter?
    I think it would be hilarious if someone did it in a self-deprecating, purposely funny way. I wouldn't laugh at someone's misfortunes otherwise, but this could really be a hoot. That's a Holiday letter I would actually look forward to receiving.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We get a few, and honestly, it is a highlight of the mail. I enjoy the laugh at such a stressful time of the year.

It's kindof presumptuous to think that people really care about everything that's happened in their lives from the previous year. Kindof like looking at someone elses vacation pictures.

I think that the pictures we send each year are overkill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    Let's have a contest. Write boring letters on Intercot - save on postage. I'll start. My dog died, I have a toenail fungus, and have to wear my slippers to church, and the photographer wouldn't take our Christmas pictures. (Something about needing a wider lens???).
    Wait a minute, this sounds like my life....
    You are too funny!

I get a letter every year from an aunt that I love reading. She has a great sense of humor and manages to make it a nice balance between fun and bragging. She has a truely wonderful family so anything would come off as bragging even though it is only stating the truth.

I had a cousin that let her DD write the family letter every year. We did not ike that one at all... it was a me, me, me letter.

So, I guess it depends on how it is written. Remember to keep some real life in it, not just the good stuff. That will make it more "real" and interesting.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here... be nice please...

Here's the letter that I was going to send out. This is a letter going to about 30 of our families (cousins, aunts/uncles, friends that we don't normally see very often). Let me know if this is too 'braggy' or 'who cares', as those seem to be the main faults most posters find about holiday letters. My original thought was just to share what our family is like these days and what we've been up to this past year.

Hopefully this letter finds you well and enjoying the holiday season! This year was a busy one for us. After many years of thinking about it, I finally decided to start running. So far I have run three 5K races and am in training to do a 10K next summer. I joined the CitySingers of Hartford, a 28 person choir that does three concerts a year. I am also an active Disney fan – I went to three fan meets this year and have met some wonderful people. Being at Disney World with our girls this summer was a highlight for both (DH) and I.

(DH) is active in the teacher’s union, hosted a student teacher this fall, and is looking into getting his sixth year degree in administration. He is also working on his second recorder book, “Ready, Set, Play!” He loves going to music classes with the girls and answering their many questions. He was especially happy to watch the Red Sox win the World Series!

(DD4) is now four years old and attends preschool. She has found a great love for drawing and is quite the accomplished artist. She also takes music and dance classes on Saturdays, and is often found singing one of her favorite songs or composing one of her own. At home she plays with her dinosaurs, cars, and trains.

(DD3) turned three in November. She goes to a home daycare three times a week and enjoys learning her letters and numbers. (DD3) also likes going to Grandma's to play with Lacey, the new German Shepherd puppy. She and (DD4) had a ball at the local fairs this September. At home she is a big fan of dressing up and playing ‘princess’. Daddy is a fine Prince Charming!

The best times were spent with family-- a week in Florida at Grandpa’s house, visits to (and from) Grandpa and Grandma in NY, hosting Thanksgiving at our house with my brother and his family, and the many birthdays and celebrations throughout the year. We look forward to a busy and blessed new year, and hope the same for you and your own!

??????
    TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds really nice but I'm jealous you've been dedicated enough to start running. I sure need too.

I enjoy holiday news letters especially with pictures.

Normally I really can't come up with anything exciting.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: