Quantcast Has anyone ever sent a care package to the troops?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever sent a care package to the troops?

I have a girl scout troop (brownie level) and am trying to figure out how we can donate to the troops or send a care package.

Has anyone ever done this or have any information on how to go about it?

I have been searching all over the internet and have found a ga-zillion places that take monetary donations, but I thought it would make it more tangible for my girl scout troop if they can actually donate items.

Any help would be great!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went to my daughter's brownie "cookie rally" and we have a thing called Cookies for a Cause where we try to get people to buy a box to donate. Last year her troop donated 20 cases of cookies to troops overseas!!! I remember them mentioning that you cannot address a box to "any soldier" anymore so we have someone helping us to get the cookies there. I will ask on Thursday and try to get a bit more information for you. I don't know if it is a Girl Scout country wide program or just specific to our region. It's a great thing to do, though!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Go to “anysoldier.com”

This is a legit website.

The post office will not deliver to just “Any Soldier”. You must have an address.

Also, soldiers are instructed to not accept food unless they know the sender.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

This is a clip from a mass email a friend of mine serving in Afganistan sent to everyone he knows last year:
    So, we are in no way asking for mail, but if you are so inclined the following stuff (or anything at all) is always welcomed by our soldiers...
    --reading magazines, pop culture, men's, and news preferred
    --chips and dip, fruit roll ups, any kind of snacks.
    --sausage and cheeses
    --microwave meals are like gold, esp pizza or appetteizers
    --bar soaps, shave cream, fusion razors, or any toiletrees
    Again, only send food if the recipient knows the sender. This shouldn’t be too difficult. Most everyone knows someone who knows someone who is over there.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Where I work, we have a corporate level initiative called Boxes for Baghdad.

Throughout the year, we collect goods to send over to the troops. Each quarter, we collect the items, pack them up, and ship them over to our soliders in Iraq.

It's been an amazing program to be involved with (I volunteer with the group). The response from the troops has been amazing. They've visited us, honored us with a mission flag, sent us pictures from their deployments, and awarded us several plaques for our work.

The most popular items we send are CD's, DVD's, small snack items that can be easily carried (things like granola bars, crackers, etc.), socks, cigars (they help keep the bugs away), and books.

My suggestion is to reach out to your local military base. I'm quite certain they'll work with you to set something up.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone for the information so far!
    I don't know anyone who is currently serving overseas. But, if someone does know someone and would like to give me their information or their military troop's info, my girl scout troop would be happy to "adopt" this person and send our care package to them. I think we should be able to get a few care packages together, so it can be multiple peoople.
    I can send you my girl scout troop information so that you know we are legit!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I can not tell you how much getting one meant to me back in 1991. That is why I have sent one each Christmas and Easter. anysoldier.com is a good place to do that, and I urge everyone to send something. Even a letter from a stranger brings you a little closer to home in those far away places.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have actaully sent several
    Last year I did a Thanksgiving card project with my daughters 2nd grade class. I printed 28 sheets of holiday designed backrounds and had them make a picture on it or just write something nice on it.
    I did Christmas Cards with a 4th grade class did the same printed sheets of paper and had them make pictures. I sent these out myself priority mail it only cost a little bit and it was so worth it.
    We also did with our girls scout troop last year our local church sponors a troop each month and we had the girls ask if people wanted to donate girl scout cookies to the troops
    We donted over 200+ boxes overseas last year.
    That was the best things ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I have volunteered for a few years for a program called Operation Paperback. We send paperback books to troops.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

The only times I've sent packages were to troops I knew. I sent tons of packages while DH was there and we sent quiet a few both times DBIL was there. My children's school has sent packages as well from items the children brought to school, but I don't know who they were sent to. My BIL's group is over there right now. He isn't there yet, he had some child custody/support issues from his first marriage to get resolved so they are allowing him to stay until it is all taken care of, then he'll be sent over there to join his group. If you can't find a way to send the packages I am sure I can get an address for you to send them to his group. I know all the military men and women really appreciate everything that is sent to them. Right now would be a great time to send packages as these men and women are away from their families during the holidays. As a military family that's gone through being seperated and having my DH in Iraq I want to thank you and everyone who supports the troops over there and who are generous and thoughtful enough to show that you care! It really means more than you know!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again to everyone who has replied!

The anysoldier.com website is really great, I found 2 soldiers/units on there for my girl scout troop to focus on!

I would recommend everyone to go on there and check it out. It seems really simple to do it and has such an impact!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Another great legit website is ecarepackage.org.

You can pick service branch, homestate, their current location, etc.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

My school just got together 31 boxes of goodies to send to a fellow teacher's son who happens to be based in Iraq. He will be sharing them with his troop. If you don't have a military base nearby, you can always contact a local recruiting office for information. The guys/girls over there really LOVE being remembered!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

There is another organization called "Operation Undergarment". They collect socks, underwear, sweatpants, t-shirts etc for the soldiers that get medically transported from the combat zone. Sometimes their belongings don't get to follow them and it may take a long while before they can get clothes. They do have a website www.operationundergarment.com.

Our boy scout troop had a drive and collected many items to send to the wounded soldiers.

Kristine----Mom to David and Kassandra
    Oct 2005 DVC Members SSR
    Jan 2006 SSR
    OKW Oct 31-Nov 6 2006 shhh its a secret
    OKW May 11-15 2007 Me Time
    OKW Sep-Oct 2007 Family X-mas Gift
    DCL Jan 2009 1st cruise (just DH and I)
    Next up Oct-Nov 2009 Land and Sea

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is great that your brownie troop is doing this!

A relative was in Iraq and one thing he mentioned when his sister sent him his favourite chocolate bar - chocolate melts! The troops are always welcoming juice crystals, such as crystal light single servings for their water bottles, and magazines are very welcome.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another suggestion is to contact your local VA hospital if you have one near by. Our returning wounded soldiers also need something to smile about during the holiday season.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has inspired me to get a box together. Since I work part time at JC Penney's I can find great deals on socks and undershirts and get an extra discount on top of it.

Also I read an article about how one Marine wife sent her husband a small, decorated Christmas tree and it really went over well.
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Go to “anysoldier.com”

This is a legit website.

The post office will not deliver to just “Any Soldier”. You must have an address.

Also, soldiers are instructed to not accept food unless they know the sender.
    One of the must confusing days of my life iswhen they change this policy.

I used to have parties at my house with the only admission being you had to bring something to sent to the troops. We'd pack box after box to addressed to any soldier and I'd send them away.

Cant do it like that anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Our church gathers donations, and non-parishable items for the troops. I've never personally sent a package, but when I was in the Navy, during Viet Nam, I RECEIVED a wonderful package from my hometown church, and it was one of the nicest things I've ever gotten. What a treat to know that a groups of women got together to bake cookies, and wrap little "neaties" for me, (and others) at Christmas.

You can't know what it means.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: