Quantcast Geauga Lake to Close

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geauga Lake to Close

This is very sad news to Northeast Ohio folks the local amusment park is to be closed..Here are the details

Geauga Lake amusement park closing; water park will remain open
    Posted by Robert Schoenberger September 21, 2007 17:42PM
    Categories: Breaking News, Impact
    Geauga Lake amusement park is no more.

Cedar Fair Entertainment announced Friday (PDF) that it is giving up on the park, three years after buying it. The adjoining water park will remain open.

"We've been disappointed with Geauga Lake's attendance since we acquired the park," Cedar Fair spokesman Tony Clark said. The company also owns Cedar Point in Sandusky.

The closure comes as a blow to the community, but not a surprise.

An empty parking lot and short lines for rides might have made the park convenient, but they don't make money.

"I've been going to the park since I was 2 years old," said Christina Altman, 19, an employee of Sirna's Market & Deli across the street from the park's entrance. "That was the only thing we had for kids in this community."

Despite her fond memories, steep ticket prices, expensive food and fewer big attractions kept her away in recent years. It's a problem that the park's previous owners had, and Cedar Fair was unable to fix.

Cedar Fair bought the park in 2004 from Six Flags for $145 million.

Six Flags bought it in 2000, pumped $40 million into rides and saw huge increases in ticket sales. But the euphoria didn't last. The following year, the company bought the adjacent Sea World property and merged the complexes.

Dreams of a regional draw that could compete with premier parks such as Cedar Point didn't materialize. In 2001, ticket sales at the combined park were lower than the prior year.

By the time Cedar Fair bought the facility, attendance was in free fall. The company renamed the park Geauga Lake in hopes of playing on fan nostalgia.

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on the news last night and I'm very sad. We usually go every year. I still miss Sea World!
    Shelley
    Do you believe in Magic?

Jan. 2001 - AS Music
    Nov. 2003 - AS Movies
    May 2004 - AS Movies
    Nov. 2005 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2007 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2010 - AS Sports
    Nov. 2013 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2016 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2017 - AS Music/AK Lodge - Brand new DVC Members!

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad. My college roomate lived in Aurora and I would take her home for the weekend pretty often. I remember you could stand in her back yard and hear the seals barking from Sea World......I enjoyed the times I visited
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to Geauga Lake but I used to go to Sea World every year and I still miss it! I have heard from many of my friends and co-workers who have been to Geauga Lake recently that it's nothing like it used to be - the rides are all spread out with nothing new added in years and the water park has been relocated to the Sea World side of the lake. One made the trip just a few weeks ago and said she and her family stayed all day at the water park because it was hot and it was too much effort to run back and forth between the sections. It's still a shame though that no one can figure out how to keep it open.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: