Quantcast Disney and MILITARY Veterans

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney and MILITARY Veterans

I know that historically, Disney has gone to great lengths to honor our military veterans, and has had several special packages and promotions for veterans only. I think this is a great, noble, and honorable thing for Disney to do, but I KNOW that Disney goes beyond just giving discounts to honor our military.

I've heard several stories about how castmembers (and sometimes other guests) have done special things for a veteran, and I'd love to see some more.

If you're a veteran and experienced some magic, or you've seen a special moment with a veteran, please share it with me.
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Gulf War vet, I was very proud to be apart of the flag retreat on Main Street. I have seen much older vet's taking part in that be very moved by it. I fully understand how they feel
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I, also, was Veteran of The Day in the MK on Dec. 14, 2004, at the age of 60, and it was VERY moving.

Other than that, and being able to stay at SOG, there isn't much out of the ordinary for Veterans. Sea World allows free admission for active duty personnel, and reserves, and that would be terrific if Disney did also.

FYI, military aren't the only ones eligible for the Flag Retreat. I believe police and fire fighters can participate.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

On my last trip in June I went to MK with my brother who was a combat medic in Iraq and My best friend Marc who is a pilot that is regularly deployed to the middle east.

I think it woulda been cool for them to do the flag retreat (which neither of them knew existed) but it didn't occur to me til the next day. I felt really bad that I missed that opportunity to help show them my appreciation for what they've done.

So next time I'll be sure to make plans for that
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

How do you make plans for this, just sign up at Guest Services at the MK? We are going as a grand gathering in July 2008 and my dad is a Vietnam Veteran and I would love for him to be a part of this ceremony with our entire family there to watch. I think it would mean alot to him!
    Dennis and Dawn
    St. Louis, MO
    2/95 - Offsite Honeymoon
    10/98 - DL Offsite
    6/02 - ASMu
    3/03 - ASMo
    6/04 - ASSp
    2/05 - ASSp
    7/05 - CBR
    6/06 - Offsite
    12/06 - ASMu
    11/07 - ASSp
    7/08 - All Star Sports - Family Magical Gathering with 19 of us!
    7/10 - North American Irish Dance Championships

Post Thanks / Like

You can't sign up for this. You go to the City Hall on Main St. your first day at WDW. Tell them how long you're staying, and if there's a day available, you get it. You have to ask in person, and only when you get there.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a story of how a series of cast members went to great lengths to for my son, who is currently active duty Army.

My daughter and her husband planned a trip to WDW back last December. Their trip starts on 9/24. They asked us to come along, and after 30 seconds of cajoling, we agreed. We decided to go down a few days earlier (I'm on property right this very minute) to take advantage of the free dining. Fast forward to Labor Day weekend. Our son calls and says that he will be in training in Pensacola and has some leave coming and can meet us in Orlando while we're there.
    I know it's impossible, but I call Disney anyway, to try to add him to the reservation without losing the free dining for DW and I. I explain the situation to the CM at Disney Travel. She agrees that since the free dining promotion is long over, "technically" if we add him, we would lose the DDP for us. BUT, she asks me to hold for a few minutes. She quickly returns and tells me that she can't do anything directly, but Guest Services can probably help me out. She then introduces me to another CM at Guest Services and hangs up. The new CM verifies the information that she was given, and then informs me that they will be glad to add my son to the reservation, including the free dining, and they'll even waive the $10/night charge for an extra adult in the room. They only thing extra I had to pay for was the $49 for the trip insurance I had purchased - and that was only because it wasn't a Disney company and the agreement wouldn't allow them to waive that.

This little transaction apparently went up through a couple of layers of management to accomplish, because the I was told that (fill in the names of 3 other CMs here - I don't remember them) all said to tell our son "thank you" for his service.

I hadn't expected any of this, I'd just hoped that he could officially join us without messing up the free dining deal.

Shall we say they have a very happy customer?

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I come from a military family and am married to a former Navy Lt. I always wear his Navy sweatshirt when I am at Disney, It's comfy and warm. I have had not only CM's, but guests comment and even thank him for what he's done. It really is appreciated, especially if you know how the Vietnam Vets were treated after they came home (my dad is one).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: