Quantcast DVC @ Disneyland is now official!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC @ Disneyland is now official!

Responding to a growing demand for guest accommodations in Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort today celebrated an expansion of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa that will increase accommodations by more than 30 percent and will include the first Disney Vacation Club villas in Anaheim.

This expansion, scheduled for completion in late 2009, will involve 300 union construction jobs and result in 100 new hotel jobs. It underscores Disney's long-term commitment to growing and investing in Anaheim. The expansion also marks the latest in a series of major additions to the Resort that include the newly launched Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney's California Adventure.

"This expansion underscores our commitment to growing and investing in both the Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Resort Area," said Ed Grier, president of the Disneyland Resort. "These new hotel rooms and villas will give more people the opportunity to enjoy the immersive vacation experience Disney is known for. We know that our guests value being able to stay in the middle of the magic with our world-class theme parks, shopping and dining just steps away."

The 2.5-acre expansion on the hotel's south side will add more than 200 new hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas. Those vacation villas, to include kitchens, living and dining areas and other home-like amenities, will mark the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, Disney's innovative vacation-ownership program.

"For more than 50 years, the Disneyland Resort has been investing in our community and they have helped us build a world class resort destination in which all of Anaheim can be proud," Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle said. "Thanks to Disneyland and the Anaheim Resort Area, Anaheim boasts one of the fastest growing markets in the country for hotel occupancy."

Other elements planned for the project include a rooftop deck for viewing fireworks, a new swimming pool and about 300 underground parking spaces. Peter Dominick of 4240, architect for Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is designing the ambitious expansion. It will reflect the same California Arts & Crafts architecture of the existing hotel, which immerses guests in a turn-of-the-20th-century California experience.

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa currently features 745 guest rooms, including 44 suites. Upon completion of the expansion project, the hotel will feature 945 guest rooms, including 44 guest suites, and 50 Disney Vacation Club two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas.
    DVC Mike

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    Where'd you get the info???
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Where'd you get the info???
    The article is posted on the Disneyland Media site. You can read the entire article here.
    Last edited by Carol; 09-18-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Add link
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like good news but it only mentions 50 2 bedroom DVC... the rest of the rooms are to be hotel rooms.... I did not see anything about studio or 1 bedroom DVC..

For a small park I would not even bother using my point's on a 2 bedroom there.... If I misunderstood the article someone please let me know... Thanx
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    50 two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas
    Could this mean they might be like the 2BR at BWV with a studio and a 1BR connected? Maybe...? Hopefully...?
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Another Article:

Disney Plans To Expand Hotel

Grand Californian will get 250 more units, including first vacation club villas.

By SARAH TULLY

The Orange County Register
    September 18, 2007

ANAHEIM – Disney is planning to expand the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, its high-end lodge in the Disneyland Resort, by adding about 250 units, including the first vacation-ownership villas, the company is expected to announce today.

The expanded hotel would grow by 2.5 acres, stretching south of the hotel that opened in 2001 alongside Downtown Disney and Disney's California Adventure theme park. The Grand Californian already has 745 rooms.

The first Disney Vacation Club units on the West Coast – 50 two-bedroom-equivalent villas – would be part of the new area. The club is a vacation-ownership program that includes other Disney locations and associated members.

"This expansion underscores our commitment to growing and investing in both the Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Resort Area," said Ed Grier, Disneyland Resort president, in a prepared statement.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Nice new DVC option. Thanks for the info.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

How exciting! My family has never been to Disneyland before and we will be able to go now thanks to our DVC!
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I have been waiting for this. Now I will have to buy in two places. When will they go on sale?
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

The "50 two-bedroom-equivalent villas" are probably 2-BR "lock-offs" that can either be a 2-BR or a 1-BR and a studio.

Although not mentioned in the press release, the guides were told there were would be a few 3-BR Grand Villas as well. We'll have to wait for more details.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

This is excellent news. Now we're just a cheap Southwest flight and some tickets away from another visit to DL!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised that DVC is now claiming that "sales, profits and membership have doubled since 2003" (according to Jim Lewis), and that there are now 350,000 DVC members.
    DVC Mike

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    I was surprised that DVC is now claiming that "sales, profits and membership have doubled since 2003" (according to Jim Lewis), and that there are now 350,000 DVC members.

Wow...since DVC told us there was 120,000 members last November.....they had a HECK of A YEAR!!!!

...or the info is completely false...which it is.

Post Thanks / Like

The Grand Californian is a stunning facility. I'm sure the new addition will be equally gorgeous.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Wow...since DVC told us there was 120,000 members last November.....they had a HECK of A YEAR!!!!

...or the info is completely false...which it is.
    Maybe DVC is getting creative with how they count their membership? Could it be that they now count all the contacts (including associate members) on the contract?
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how to start this reply to the great news about the new Villas at the Grand Californian as I realize that you are all so very excited.

In replying to my post, Please keep this in mind. I am a proud member of the Disney Vacation Club.

A little about myself, a California native living in Anaheim for two years, been to Disneyland at least 100 times.

The first thing you have to consider is size does matter. Unlike WDW the only thing that separates Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge and the Monorail is Harbor Blvd. Howard Johnson’s is probably one forth the cost and is very nice. From Motel row It is a 5 minute walk to the turn style at Disneyland. Right next to Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge is McDonalds and a family style restaurant Milleys that have every day pricing. Unless you are dead set on staying at the Grand California Villas I would consider selling your points and staying at, First Choice Disneyland Hotel, Second choice Howard Johnson’s.

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Na I rather stay at Disneyland then HOJO'S
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T.Toad View Post
    A little about myself, a California native living in Anaheim for two years, been to Disneyland at least 100 times.

The first thing you have to consider is size does matter. Unlike WDW the only thing that separates Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge and the Monorail is Harbor Blvd. Howard Johnson’s is probably one forth the cost and is very nice. From Motel row It is a 5 minute walk to the turn style at Disneyland. Right next to Howard Johnson’s Motor lodge is McDonalds and a family style restaurant Milleys that have every day pricing. Unless you are dead set on staying at the Grand California Villas I would consider selling your points and staying at, First Choice Disneyland Hotel, Second choice Howard Johnson’s.
    I too am a native of California and lived Orange County (Anaheim, Fullerton, Brea, Placentia and Yorba Linda). As a local, I visited DL dozens and dozens of times during the 30 years I lived there. I just hopped in the car and drove there; in 15-20 minutes I was there.

It's also true that it's a shorter walk from some offsite hotels than the Disneyland Hotel.

That said, there is something to be said for staying at the DVC at the GC, and having a view of DCA and being able to have your own entrance to DCA. You are right in the middle of the DL resort.

While I hope to be able to use my points for a future stay at GCV, I don't plan on buying points there.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Very Exciting! I forsee a trip to Disney Land in 2010!!!

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

So, are they actually going to SELL these 50-odd units or are they just going to be available for current DVC owners to use? I ask because currently, at Disneyland Resort, the DVC booths are selling the Saratoga Springs DVC units. I just wonder if they'll actually open up these units for new sales to people who want this to be their home resort?

Also, I wonder how they will price these (if they do sell them to new members) in comparison to the WDW properties. I would think that they will either command a premium price, or they will be cheap in comparison to say, Saratoga Springs or AKL DVC.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: